Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Roadtec 01's, I guess?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Roadtec 01's, I guess?
on: June 08, 2018, 12:10:49 PM
Hi all,

Back in here after a veeeerrry long time away - lot of water under the bridge and not had much riding time in the last few years...  Well, anyway, I'll spare you the long explanations for now.  Retirement  :005: is around the corner, so more riding time!  :152:

I still have my original 2011 CR.  It still has the original tires :017: (tyres) on. I do need to change them...  :164:

In reading through the 'Tyres and wheels' category, seems like the consensus of best choices are the Metzler Roadtec 01, Michelin PR 4's or Pirelli Angel GT's.  I only ride very occasionally on unpaved roads, although some of the roads I do ride on often are less-than-well-paved...  And mostly I ride in fair weather.

I've always liked Metzlers - had them on my old '86 VFR - so I am leaning towards the Roadtec's.  Any counter-indications?

At some point I might consider trading in my 2011 for a 2017-2018, but frankly, I'm still much fonder of the 2011's looks.  We'll see.

Thanks, cheers to all,

--SwissVFR

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Roadtec 01's, I guess?
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:40:40 AM
*Originally Posted by SwissVFR [+]
Hi all,

Back in here after a veeeerrry long time away - lot of water under the bridge and not had much riding time in the last few years...  Well, anyway, I'll spare you the long explanations for now.  Retirement  :005: is around the corner, so more riding time!  :152:

I still have my original 2011 CR.  It still has the original tires :017: (tyres) on. I do need to change them...  :164:

In reading through the 'Tyres and wheels' category, seems like the consensus of best choices are the Metzler Roadtec 01, Michelin PR 4's or Pirelli Angel GT's.  I only ride very occasionally on unpaved roads, although some of the roads I do ride on often are less-than-well-paved...  And mostly I ride in fair weather.

I've always liked Metzlers - had them on my old '86 VFR - so I am leaning towards the Roadtec's.  Any counter-indications?

At some point I might consider trading in my 2011 for a 2017-2018, but frankly, I'm still much fonder of the 2011's looks.  We'll see.

Thanks, cheers to all,

--SwissVFR

I was a PR4 user until I tried the Roadtec 1, now that is my first choice tyre and will be fitted to the 1200 as well as soon as those PR4s wear out.

And welcome back!  :031: :419:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline SwissVFR

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 87VFR + 2011CR
  • City / Town: St-Legier
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:53:38 AM
Thanks !  In between, I also found this video (don't know if it has been posted somewhere else here already) which compares the most-mentioned touring tires here.

So I guess it is the Roadtec's for me.  I don't think the Crossrunner qualifies as a HWM (heavyweight motorcycle), so I guess the standard model will do.

Was also disappointed to find that in this country, the CR has completely disappeared from the current model catalog - only the Crosstourer remains. :019:  So the only way to trade up to a newer model CR (if I decide to do that later) would be to buy in France or Germany...

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 10:49:13 AM
*Originally Posted by SwissVFR [+]
I've had Pirelli Angel GTs fitted for ~5000 miles now and find them an outstanding dry weather tyre - no shortage of grip even at relatively extreme angles of lean. They're wearing well too.. still have a decent profile, although the front looks a little worse than the rear. My only criticism is that in the wet they're not as outstanding - a vast improvement over the OEM tyre, but not as immediately grippy as the Metzeler tyres (Diablo Strada - it's been a while since I changed them!) I've stuck with on my TDM.

I'm very tempted to try Metzelers on the VFR when the time comes, but it seems that's quite some time away so we'll see! Then again, having just watched the posted video, I may stick with the Pirellis.  :084:
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:35:19 AM
I was recomended PR4's for what I do. Living in the tropics travelling long distance highways. If I still lived in a more populated area street riding and travelled on more winding roads suitable for a more performance type tyre. It would have gone Dunlop Roadsmart 2's that I used to run on other bikes. I think they are also recomended for VFR's.

recent