Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Acceleration issues  (Read 2676 times)

Offline moodymark

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Leicester
Acceleration issues
on: August 06, 2018, 09:21:50 PM
Hi all, had a few Hondas in my time - 2 bikes ago had VFR800 sports tourer - but now on my first crossrunner - love it. Its the 2015 model bought 2 weeks ago, seems to have a gliche on odd occasions when accelerating reasonably hard - at around 7000 revs she can die for a split second, a bit un-nerving to say the least. Have spoken to the people I bought it from, they are looking into it, 1st suggestion was loose battery terminals - but they are fine.
It's a real pain as its intermittant - I rode to Matlock on sunday a round trip of about 120 miles and it ocurred 4 times, travel to work today 8 miles - did it once .
Has anyone any ideas ?

Offline Lampie

• Crossrunner Member
  • Hyper(pro) Crossrunner
  • Bike: vfr800x 2015
  • City / Town: Alphen ad Rijn
Re: Acceleration issues
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:30:19 PM
From a dutch forum :  flapper mod
disconnect the vacuum hose from the actuator on top of your airfilterbox, plug the hose.
that should be easy to test if this will work for you.

Second mod : disable the pairsystem
You can disconnect the wires or plug the hoses going to the pairsystem.
Bike should run a bit leaner in the lower RPM
you may ajust the idle rpm.

Third mod, get rid of the snorkel , that's the S shaped tube to the airbox
The sound will change , that's for sure.

All these mods can be reversed without effort, or when MOT is due
71409 km

Offline Mkcx

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Honda Cx500
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 12:02:04 AM
Does it occur at the VTEC transition? My 2012 feels like it drops briefly as the VTEC kicks in when winding on throttle in 5th or 6th (motorway overtakes for example) bit only for a few minutes after starting when it's cold. After that it's fine.

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:05:19 AM
If it's always at the same engine speed, and just before 7k rpm, then it may well be VTEC related. What you describe sounds similar to what I experienced when the battery was extremely low.. as the VTEC switched to 4 valves, the engine more or less died until the revs dropped. Could be that it's momentarily not getting any power, so yeah.. a loose connection might explain it.

On the other hand, what you describe sounds similar to the traction control kicking in and doing its job.
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline moodymark

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:02:48 AM
All good info guys, thankyou. sales people have been in contact with Honda dealers - certainly not a common fault - they have agreed for me to take to main dealer for them to hook up to diagnostics - hopefully they'll find something, however I have a sneaky feeling it's one of those issues that's not going to go away easily. I'll let u know how I get on.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 05:23:48 AM
Not heard of this issue before (17 years/250000miles riding VFRs).

There are a few mechanical gurus on VFRD who may have some helpful suggestions.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline moodymark

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:49:01 AM
Rode to work this morning seemed fine until, accelerating 2nd gear cough, cough, cough , three times in a row ! thought I was going to breakdown ! not done that before - not even high revs - around 3k. Sooner I get this bike into main dealers the better. :003:

Offline Notgotone

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 06:31:41 PM
A friend had a problem with the engine cutting out then non start not a cr but a Honda with similar switch gear turned out to be a corroded connection on the kill switch worth a look.

recent