Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rusty looking down pipes  (Read 993 times)

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Vfr800x
  • City / Town: Neath
Rusty looking down pipes
on: September 16, 2018, 08:07:30 PM
Evening people just wondering how many of you have the same issue as me . The down pipes look like rusty old pipes as do the rear clamps . You just don't expect this on stainless steel and only a year old . So anyone got anything that makes them easier to keep them better as I've cleaned them up and coated them in acf50 and they go off again very quickly . Cheers

Online stubax

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: VRF800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Rusty looking down pipes
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:58:55 AM
Polish my front pipes once a year with cream metal polish (Solvolautosol?) and fine wire wool. Keeps the pipes looking good, when I traded in the mk1 the dealer commented how good the pipes where.  Not got an answer for the rear clamps as mine are ok.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 03:30:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Ferretvfr800 [+]
Evening people just wondering how many of you have the same issue as me . The down pipes look like rusty old pipes as do the rear clamps . You just don't expect this on stainless steel and only a year old . So anyone got anything that makes them easier to keep them better as I've cleaned them up and coated them in acf50 and they go off again very quickly . Cheers

That's standard for stainless downpipes. Doesn't affect the performance and it doesn't mean they are rusting away either.

The rear clamps are another story; they've always rusted up, on all 4 of my VFRs. Even with ACF50 on them, they still corrode. Only hope is to try and find a stainless version online and replace them, or get some mild steel ones and replace them as they corrode.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 07:38:59 AM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
That's standard for stainless downpipes. Doesn't affect the performance and it doesn't mean they are rusting away either.

The rear clamps are another story; they've always rusted up, on all 4 of my VFRs. Even with ACF50 on them, they still corrode. Only hope is to try and find a stainless version online and replace them, or get some mild steel ones and replace them as they corrode.
Yep, mine are the same. The clamps are particularly bad.. once they disintegrate they'll get replaced with stainless.

I find it astonishing that a stainless exhaust gets blessed with crappy mild steel clamps, but maybe there's a good reason that I've yet to determine!
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

recent