Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hello  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: London
Hello
on: September 18, 2018, 10:03:17 AM
Hi. I have just begun lurking, I’m thinking of getting a 2011 as they are fairly cheap and it seems a lot of capable bike for the money.
I currently ride an XT660X, but had a pre single sided VFR750 back in the day ( and a VFR400 ) and have always regretted selling the 750.
The Crossrunner seems a good combination of what I had and what I have. I’ll be trawling the site for information and would welcome any heads ups on what to look out for, or just general praise for the bike to help me make my decision.
I’m not in love with the looks of the older model, but if it works well and reliably, I’d be able to overlook the aesthetics

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Hello
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:40:11 AM
Great that you you are thinking of buying a Crossrunner, I don't know of anyone that hasn't been happy with theirs.

The Mk1 is based on the tried & tested 06-13 VFR800 model so there are no big issues there but VFRs always seem to suffer a bit from electrical gremlins, particularly bad earths.

The engine is solid though it can suffer from a low-rev lack of smoothness and can be difficult to control at low speed on throttle alone. This can be minimised by removing the PAIR system completely, blocking off the valve covers on top of the heads and by fitting a pair of O2 eliminators to the collector box. This certainly worked a treat for my 08 VFR800 and I could easily ride on throttle alone at low speed. They also benefit from routine balancing of the starter valves; I did mine every 4k miles. It's an easy job as long as you have a 7mm spanner and a set of vacuum gauges.

When you get yr bike, do post back with pictures too.

Good hunting!  :031:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:40:07 PM
Hi Skids

Thanks for the info and the encouragement.
I’m well used to snatchy transmission at low revs with the XT660X, had to fit a PC3 and O2 eliminator.
The Crossrunner sounds promising. Time for that research and working out how to pay for it.
The newer model looks great, Mk 1 not so much, but the XT is a bit of an oddball too. Besides I drove a CX500 for a few years back in the early 90’s and that was nicknamed the Plastic Maggot as it was truly ugly. I’ve been riding year round for over 25 years now, so I think I can cope with the looks.

Offline MBabe

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Oswestry
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:48 PM
I’ve not had mine too long but I am very impressed with it.

It is such an easy to ride, competent bike. Rides and handles way better than I was expecting. I have to stop at junctions less than other bikes I’ve owned,due to the upright riding position and excellent visibility.

It really is a remarkably well built,well designed motorcycle but don’t mistake that for boring, the thing is a hoot when you wind it up and get the vtec high!

Absolutely love mine and I can honestly say it is the most complete, all round package I have owned. Everything a bike should be as far as I’m concerned.

I have owned 30+ bikes and this is easily the best of the bunch for me.

I don’t have the low speed snatching someone alluded to, I find the fuelling almost perfect, thankfully. Even the styling is growing on me, mine has the black frame which helps I think.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the crossrunner r60 or r80 but do bear in mind that white ones are substantially faster 😁

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:47:41 PM
I can only echo all the above points. Stunning value for money and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I like the the fact that it's not a Charlie & Ewen wannabee lookalikey.
I've fitted hyperpro progressive front fork springs on mine which has vastly improved the chatter at the front end and an after market exhaust to give a bit more audible feedback.
I go to the NEC each year and have seen nothing since getting it to tempt me to change.
What's not to like?

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:44:27 PM
Thank you for all the positive words about the bike. I getting more and more tempted. Now I just have to work out what to sell to get the necessary money together.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 09:58:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Bikespod [+]
Thank you for all the positive words about the bike. I getting more and more tempted. Now I just have to work out what to sell to get the necessary money together.

Take your time, don't rush into the first you see. There are real bargains out there, you just have to wait for them to come along - then act quickly.

Best advice I was ever given.
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Vfr800x
  • City / Town: Neath
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 06:30:12 PM
 A belated welcome ,I'm 2 mounts in to crossrunner ownership and I can say here and now it's a great bike and a keeper  ,a very underestimated bike just like the cbf1000

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:56 PM
Well, I’ve put a deposit down on an all black CR with 2 previous owners and 24,500 miles on the clock.
I’ll be looking it over and test riding it on Saturday hopefully.
Let’s hope she doesn’t disappoint.
Any pointers on things to look closely at would be much appreciated, you know, insider knowledge on expensive things to replace or hidden parts that might have suffered. I seem to remember something about exhaust clamps rusting horribly.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 07:01:59 AM
Nice one!  :028:

As you are probably aware, the VFR is a very solid bike with almost no weak spots like you are looking for. I'd be interested in the usual wear and tear items - tyres, chain & sprockets, the fluids - look for clear light clutch & brake fluid, and overall how well has she been looked after - nuts & bolts deteriorated, how clean etc.

You are correct that the exhaust clamps rust, as can the heat shield above and behind the RH footpeg. At 24k miles, she is due the big service which involves checking the valve clearances and is expensive. If it's done, great, just check the paperwork to ensure the valve check was done. If not, it's a bargaining chip on the price but a lot of people actually don't bother getting them checked (the rest of the service is routine stuff) as the shims rarely need changing.

Let us know how you get on.  :031:
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles