Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: vfr800 vs crossrunner (2014 on models)  (Read 3519 times)

Offline popkat

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: Devon
vfr800 vs crossrunner (2014 on models)
on: September 21, 2018, 06:09:15 PM
Has anyone got ownership experience of both bikes ?
I've not ridden a crossrunner and there seems to be none to test ride within at least 100 miles of me. I have ridden the 2014> VFR800 though all be it a couple of years ago, I think I remember it all  :008:
Noticed that it was no more powerful than my 31 year old 1st gen 750 (which I still have for now) but with the vtec kicking in it made it seem more urgent at least in sound. no real complaints from it, quite good handling when the rear preload was turned up some, good brakes, good sport touring riding position.
I'm looking at getting one of these 2 bikes and I'd like an objective view of someone who has experience of both.
Thank you

Offline Mkcx

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Honda Cx500
Re: vfr800 vs crossrunner (2014 on models)
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 07:08:21 PM
I've ridden an 05 VTEC that my mate owned and my 2012 crossrunner. He also now has a crossrunner. They're pretty similar. The VTEC transition is smoother on the CR and the wider bars give more leverage around tight twisty roads and around town making it easier to ride in those conditions. The vfr is a little more stable at higher speeds but you don't loose much with the crossrunner. VFR also tops out at a higher speed.

I personally prefer the more upright riding position for comfort, commanding feel and visibility but that's a personal thing. As I ride nadgery single track stuff around Scotland a lot the wider bars suit me better.

My mates observations having owned a 750, non-vtec 800 and 800 vtec are that the CR is his favourite. His comparison is basically the same as what I've said above but he has more experience to base that on. I think the earlier vfr has larger luggage though.

The 2015+ CR is a little different than the mk1 in that the pegs are lower and the bars a little further back making it more upright and adventure like. The brakes are also not linked.
Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:11:28 PM by Mkcx

Offline popkat

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 08:06:33 PM
Thanks for the reply MKcx, some good info. Interesting that the earlier crossrunner has higher pegs and a more lean in riding position, which might suit better, I just don't like the look of them though.

I should have explained a little more of my experience with them. I used to own for a while an 02 V-tec, the 2014 compared to that seemed much better, much lighter on it's feet  and definitely perkier (maybe due to the weight) the v-tec was smoother too, but i think we all know they've refined it over the years. The 02 did nothing for me, but my 1987 VFR750 is great, it's just getting so old now and regularly needs attention.

I've owned a lot of bikes, more than 100 but never ridden a crossrunner, I guess I could sort of guess what it will be like  :008: but although I have ridden a few I have never owned an adventure style bike, it's always easier to fall back on what you know but I am open to something a bit different, the closest I have to the riding position is my MT10, now that's a fun bike but not great two up and i'm not putting panniers on it, also it gets really filthy in the wet and sprays your back like a hose  :114: The crossrunner (or VFR) would be my longer trip bike and be used year round in all weathers if need be, although i don't need to ride a bike it's just for pleasure these days so miles won't be huge.

Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:10:09 PM by popkat

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:20:12 PM
I have ridden a '14 vfr800f on a few occasions and I own both a '15 crossrunner and a '91 vfr750f.
As for mulipurposeness (is that a word in english?) I really put the crossrunner on #1!
But I am used to the allroady ridingposition for some years and bikes (xt660z/tdm900 where my previous daily rides) and I prefer it over the sporttouring position of the f.
So basically I think it depends on your ridingpositionpreference.
Stop making sense

Offline popkat

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:13:15 PM
Cheers Eddy, I think your right about the riding position choice, it's probably the main decision I need to make.

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 04:33:39 AM
Got to say I was sceptical about the very upright position of the CR from a fun rather than practical point of view as I was looking for 1 bike to replace/do the job of 2 (Ducati Hypermotard & Pan European) until I test rode one. I went on to buy a '17 plate and not regretted it since tbh.
Back in June a mate and I rode to Chimay in Belgium for a classic bike race weekend. We covered around 900 miles in all (none of which was motorways), the riding position is comfy for a tank full and it handles well enough with fully loaded luggage on. We stuck to the speed limits through all of the towns but pushed on "vigorously"  :016: everywhere else and have to admit the bike is way more fun than i'd expected. The CR isn't the most exciting option out there nor the cheapest but it's a keeper for me.
Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:38:19 AM by CBM

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 09:09:42 AM
Can't disagree with what's already been said.

The only practical difference between the F and X models, as you say, is the riding position. That was the main reason I chose the X as I was finding it increasing more uncomfortable on my 08 VFR. That has all gone now and the X is really easy to ride. The added bonus is a feeling of greater manoeuvrability due to the extra leverage from the wider bars, especially when slow speed manoeuvring, something I struggled with on the 08.

If you lived closer, you could take mine out for a spin.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Mkcx

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 07:41:34 PM
The mk1 is a bit more upright than the MT10. The later models are pretty much standard adv positioning. I'd suggest it's worth riding a tracer 900 as well. It feels lighter and more nimble and is definitely more exhilarating than the CR just due to its twitchier hooligan nature. The CR is a bit lower and more stable feeling with better brakes and slightly better pillion accomodations. The stock suspension is also better than the earlier Tracers (I rode a 2017 model, comparing to my mk1 CR). I'll probably replace CR with a Tracer in a couple of years. I tend to thrash the CR a fair bit, but it takes it well.
Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:43:26 PM by Mkcx

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Camberley
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 09:26:26 PM
I wrote a review on another site if that helps:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1611459

Offline Mkcx

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 10:00:02 AM
Good review but not sure how you manage such good fuel economy. I've yet to hit 50, although mine does often get ridden more like a supermoto and rarely on the motorway :/

recent