Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: got to ride one  (Read 1062 times)

Offline popkat

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: Devon
got to ride one
on: September 25, 2018, 09:08:50 AM
After searching around I finally found a crossrunner to have a test ride on yesterday, had to travel 65 miles for it. Unfortunately when I got there they informed me it had a lowering kit fitted and they were waiting for the original linkages, it also had a horrid re covered seat and something done to the foam (gel insert maybe) not good as I don't know what the std seat is like.

positives I noticed are that it is very easy to ride straight away. After going through a lot of traffic I got to open it up a enough to get to the v tec bit, I could hardly notice it, just a slight change in engine note, I'm happy with that but a couple of years ago I rode a 2014 VFR and I remember noticing the v tec as more pronounced, As far as I know the engines and mappings are the same for both models, the only difference being the the crossrunner had an Akrapovic can, it had the baffle in so was quiet.

Negatives, when the sun shone from behind I couldn't see the clocks which is a bit naff. corrosion, this bike had 12k miles, the rear pipes looked rusty (I know they are stainless) the clamps were worse, fork tubes rusty, bottom yoke area rusty, lots of brackets corroded, none really bad but it was there.
Suspension was not good, the previous owner apart from lowering seemed to have backed everything off on the rear, I wound the preload in and gave it some more damping, also added damping at the front, this made it much better but it was still soft, the forks being worst, when I went over small bumps of a succession of small bumps the forks juddered/pattered and caused plastics to rattle, it was like the forks were just floating on the end of their travel, have others experienced this ?, I can't put it down to being lowered as it wasn't using all travel, the front preload looked un touched.
When I got the screwdriver out from under the seat there was a bag which contained the original suspension links, dealer told me they had ordered some, they should have had a look first !..

I won't be buying this particular bike as they had it up for top money, the most expensive I've seen for the year, it had squared off tyres although lots of tread left, scuffed panniers and overall was average condition, there are much better out there for cheaper.

Any comments regarding my comments welcome please.

Note. I rode down there on my 31 year old 1st gen VFR750, this bike has 61000 miles and runs well, comparing the engines they are very much the same, I'd say the old one may have a little more up top but the crossrunner a little stronger at low revs, it's very close though. also in top gear on mine I can be lazy and pull from 30mph in top, the crossrunner can't do this, it just shudders, I don't blame the bike though it's just modern fuel injection, the computer does some deciding on how the throttle butterflies open, the old one has CV carbs, nice and forgiving.. It's not an issue or complaint, just an observation.
When my old one gets to 7k it takes off, feels exactly the same as v tec which just proves it's a waste of time and extra expense for not a lot, would rather they dumped it and spent the money on bringing back gear driven cams, my old one sounds so much better.

Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:16:55 AM by popkat

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: got to ride one
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 10:43:27 AM
The Vtec 'kick' has always a variable feast from bike to bike....some are harsh, some soft. My X is noticeable but much less than my old '08, but it definitely revs more freely with 4 valves. Sadly, it was necessary I believe to get the engine Euro-compliant back in the early noughties and the current engine is the closest they've been able to come to the original 750 and 800 engines.

Not sure why you'd be trying to open it up in 6th at 30mph other than to find a difference. If you're never going to do that, then it isn't an issue.

The suspension is an issue, albeit a minor one. Mine is similar but as I only use it to commute up the A1, I have lived with it but as it approaches 30k miles, I am considering calling MCT having them perform some magic on it.

Build quality has been reducing since the 750 rather consistently. But like any bike, if you look after it with regular washing through the winter and the usual care, then deterioration should be minimal. Mine's ridden through 2 winters and still looks pretty good. The S/S pipes will show signs of thin surface rust, that's normal for S/S. The clamps are cheap rubbish and will corrode quickly, whatever you do to them.

Sounds like your test bike was not really a good example to test one, albeit you had no choice. Hopefully you have not been put off. If you have the time, take it and look for a good example to test & buy. Because I was not in a rush, I managed to find a 1 year old bike with less than 200 miles on the clock at over £2k off list price. There are bargains out there if you are not in a hurry.

Best of luck an please keep us appraised of your progress.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Vfr800x
  • City / Town: Neath
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:12:08 PM
I've had mine for about 2 months now and use it for everything with a lot of pillion work .The suspension I have adjusted up and found it to be pretty dam good compared to many similar machines on the market ,yes it's more on the soft side but it does stay compliant when pushing on but to that point I can honestly say for an off the shelf bike it's pretty close to top of the list for its overall performance and it's still fun when you want it to be .Euro regs have strangled it a bit but you can release some extra if you want to spend some cash .Build quality is still better than most imho in fact that was one of the deciding factors on my purchase after seeing the state of some of its rivals at a year old .

Offline popkat

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: Devon
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, some useful info there.
Still struggling to decide, I sometimes wish I lived in the middle of the country as it would be easier to get to test ride each, but then again I wouldn't trade living by the sea on the best coast in the country and fantastic biking roads, North Devon  :001:

recent