Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Battery being drained overnight  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Dee

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Crediton
Battery being drained overnight
on: October 18, 2018, 03:50:38 PM
I've noticed that my 2016 CR has started to start very lethargically in the mornings (starts fine after a day at work, for my journey home) After a week not being used, it wouldn't start at all this morning, flat battery. It seems as though something is running the battery down overnight!  Wondered if anyone has had similar problems with this model?   :155:

FYI

Bike is 2016 with only 6k miles, so new enough not to require a new battery!
Seems to charge fine when running
No additional Electrical items attached
Journey to work is about 15 miles each way

I will stick it on the Optimate tonight, but concerned that something is not quite right?

Offline panagos

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: vfr 800x 2016
  • City / Town: magnesia
Re: Battery being drained overnight
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:43:45 AM
I would advice you to buy a good battery charger.Ι have the ctek --> https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0.I have managed to keep the battery of my previous bike for 7 years! I bought it and sold it with the same battery.I had ridden 28 thousand km with that battery.That charger managed to give life for several months to old drained batteries
Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:50:04 AM by panagos

Offline Throbber

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Bristol
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:29:44 AM
Putting it on the Optimate is probably a good start.  Depending on the model of Optimate I think that will give you an indication of if the battery is holding a charge.  The reason it starts better in the afternoon my just be down to temperature.  The ambient temp in the afternoon is usually a bit higher than 1st thing in the morning and if the battery is borderline then that may be noticible when starting.

A couple of checks I’d make:
Are the battery terminals tight & free from corrosion.  Try taking them off and giving them a quick clean to make sure they have good contact.

Whilst the battery is disconnected to clean the leads, if you have a multimeter then try connecting it in line with the battery to measure the current draw with the ignition switched off.  It shouldn’t be any higher then a couple of milivolts.  If it is then maybe there’s a short in the wiring loom.

Check the charging voltage Across the battery when the engine is running.  This should not go higher than 14.4v as the revs increase. Anything ess than 12v is also a problem.

If there’s no excessive drain on the battery and the charging voltage is OK, I’d probably try replacing the battery.  I agree that 2years isn’t that old but it may have been damaged at some point in the past such as being deeply discharged which will affect its ability to hold its charge.

Good luck with it.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:36:28 AM
The previous models of VFR800 (98-02 & 02-13) were notorious for charging issues, either the regulator/rectifier or the alternator. Though I doubt it is them on this new model, it may be worth checking the voltages at various rpm to check correct output. There are various threads on th'web covering what they should be.

It may also be that with just a 15 mile commute, twice a day, it's not enough to replace the drain caused by starting twice, plus maybe your start sequence involves leaving the ignition on/engine off for a while whilst you get dressed or something, I don't know, though I would be surprised if your commute didn't recharge it.

I have routinely used an Optimate on my bikes for nearly 20 years and had no issues traced back to the battery, so I would recommend routine use of it if you can. Maybe try it for a week, connected overnight, and see if the issue goes away?

Is it out of warranty?
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 10:59:40 AM
*Originally Posted by Dee [+]
I've noticed that my 2016 CR has started to start very lethargically in the mornings (starts fine after a day at work, for my journey home) After a week not being used, it wouldn't start at all this morning, flat battery. It seems as though something is running the battery down overnight!  Wondered if anyone has had similar problems with this model?   :155:

FYI

Bike is 2016 with only 6k miles, so new enough not to require a new battery!
Seems to charge fine when running
No additional Electrical items attached
Journey to work is about 15 miles each way

I will stick it on the Optimate tonight, but concerned that something is not quite right?

You're not alone - mine does the exact same thing. So much so that I've taken to routinely disconnecting the battery if I'm not going to be using it for more than 2 days. I don't have outdoor power, so an Optimate is not an option.

As mentioned by Throbber, you can diagnose it by connecting a current meter inline between the battery's negative terminal and the cabling. You'll see the current spike for each flash of the HISS lamp on the dash, but otherwise you shouldn't see much current draw. Whilst doing that, you can trying pulling the fuses, one by one, to try and isolate which circuit might be at fault. In theory, that should help, although with modern electrics it gets complicated... In my cases, pulling the fuses offered no insight into the source of the problem. I've had my mechanic spend an hour looking into it and he wasn't able to figure it out either.

So the problem remains... I'm resigned to just disconnecting it, as I suspect that finding and fixing could end up costing far too much. I spent a while looking into a more user-friendly battery isolation switch (similar to what I had on my old MGB GT, or those for marine use), but find that they're all far too huge to fit into the limited space under the pillion seat.
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST