Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Getting Keys Cut, Anybody done it in Devon?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Boogieshoes

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800x
Getting Keys Cut, Anybody done it in Devon?
on: December 20, 2018, 10:09:56 PM
Hi People,

I sadly had a key go missing, annoying but you should be able to get a replacement.

I have had Honda blanks from dealers, at arm and leg prices but none can cut the key....   So far all attempts have ended with a stuffed key blank.   I contacted Honda who made lost of emails and calls but were ultimately useless.   So my request is to find out if anybody out there has have a key for a 2015 model cut successfully and if so where please?

Thanks
Boogie

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Getting Keys Cut, Anybody done it in Devon?
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 07:53:23 AM
*Originally Posted by Boogieshoes [+]
Hi People,

I sadly had a key go missing, annoying but you should be able to get a replacement.

I have had Honda blanks from dealers, at arm and leg prices but none can cut the key....   So far all attempts have ended with a stuffed key blank.   I contacted Honda who made lost of emails and calls but were ultimately useless.   So my request is to find out if anybody out there has have a key for a 2015 model cut successfully and if so where please?

Thanks
Boogie

Same thing has just happened to me, lost one of my keys to my 2015.

I will call my dealer and see what they say.  :003:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Boogieshoes

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 11:32:29 PM
Hi Skids,

Sorry to hear you had a key go and sorry about my lousey keyboard spelling. 

They give a barcode label with the keys.  In the old days you could use the code to order a key even if it had to be coded to the ecu.

Last place I went tried to scan the good key using the cutting tool linked to a computer to try and het a key cut spec but nothing was forthcoming.

Manual key cutting has been a disaster twice now and I can't find anybody who can get a cnc key cutter match.   Honda were v polite but utterly useless.  Lose thse second key and bike may be bin fodder at the prices.

regards
Boogie

Offline Boogieshoes

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 06:47:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
Same thing has just happened to me, lost one of my keys to my 2015.

I will call my dealer and see what they say.  :003:

Hi Skids and anybody doing searches on keys,

This is a rather tardy update on progress here.

Firstly thank you Skids for kindly trying to help and checking with VFRD group too.   

I am pleased to report the following;

The Code provided with your bikes keys can buy you a ready cut key via your Honda Dealer.   For some reason my dealer wasn't aware of this service and to be fair neither were some of the people I had spoken with at Honda until a great chap called Ashley Grey came into the picture.

The New cut key will still need coding to your bikes ECU (SO YOU MUST HAVE A KEY that works with your bike) to code the new key.

Forgive me but I can't recall the name of the service agent that Honda use  to provide this service to dealers though it did start with a 'G'.   Anyway I am sorted thanks very kindly to Ashley, Honda working with my dealer to get me a new spare key.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 07:17:33 AM
*Originally Posted by Boogieshoes [+]
Hi Skids and anybody doing searches on keys,

This is a rather tardy update on progress here.

Firstly thank you Skids for kindly trying to help and checking with VFRD group too.   

I am pleased to report the following;

The Code provided with your bikes keys can buy you a ready cut key via your Honda Dealer.   For some reason my dealer wasn't aware of this service and to be fair neither were some of the people I had spoken with at Honda until a great chap called Ashley Grey came into the picture.

The New cut key will still need coding to your bikes ECU (SO YOU MUST HAVE A KEY that works with your bike) to code the new key.

Forgive me but I can't recall the name of the service agent that Honda use  to provide this service to dealers though it did start with a 'G'.   Anyway I am sorted thanks very kindly to Ashley, Honda working with my dealer to get me a new spare key.

That's great to know, thanks. And pleased that you got it sorted. :031:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles