Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Dilemma  (Read 3825 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Beetlejuice

  • Crossrunner Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: 2016 CR800X
  • City / Town: Northumberland
  • Country: UK
Dilemma
on: January 16, 2019, 01:34:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm after some opinions on what you would do if you were in this position please.

I'm coming up to owning the CR for 3yrs and my PCP will end so decisions need to be made whether to pay off the balance or look at another bike/pcp?
I have the CR set up with full luggage, engine bars, Vario screen, etc so ready for the Mrs and myself to get some trips done (which we haven't managed yet due to other commitments).
My dilemma is i've started looking at other bikes such as Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT (even had a test ride on this - brilliant), 2019 Kawasaki Versys SE fully kitted (very excited to see this in the flesh), Honda Crosstourer Highlander DCT (always thought I'd move from the CR to this) and even the BMW S1000XR and in doing so this has got my head turned. I've even thought about removing all my extras from my CR and buying a new model but in white this time and fitting my bits to the new one (plus having the larger top box).
Like I say above, our plans are for some touring so whatever bike we have has to be a comfortable and capable tourer. Our riding is almost 90% 2up so must be able to cope well with being fully loaded.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of changing is during the 3 years i've had the CR, the rear shock has never felt up to the job whilst 2 up and that's without luggage. Also, when returning from TT last year riding solo but with full luggage, the front end felt very light when making good speed on motorways to get home - a little unnerving I must say but not sure if this had anything to do with the bike being fully loaded with panniers and the speed I was doing? I know I could get a specialist rear shock to solve this but it's just little things like this that sways me to wanting to change - plus I like having a 'new bike day'.

What would you do? I've still got a few month left and the TT again this year on the CR before I decide so no urgency.

I must add though, as I've said above I have had a test ride on the AT DCT and although it was a really lovely bike, DCT was great (first time I've ridden a bike with it), very comfortable, loads of grunt but ran out of steam top end before the CR would have, when I jumped back on to the CR I loved it again - the engine is just a peach.

Cheers

Offline Skids

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1187
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
  • Country: UK
Re: Dilemma
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:31:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Beetlejuice [+]
Hi everyone,

I'm after some opinions on what you would do if you were in this position please.

I'm coming up to owning the CR for 3yrs and my PCP will end so decisions need to be made whether to pay off the balance or look at another bike/pcp?
I have the CR set up with full luggage, engine bars, Vario screen, etc so ready for the Mrs and myself to get some trips done (which we haven't managed yet due to other commitments).
My dilemma is i've started looking at other bikes such as Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT (even had a test ride on this - brilliant), 2019 Kawasaki Versys SE fully kitted (very excited to see this in the flesh), Honda Crosstourer Highlander DCT (always thought I'd move from the CR to this) and even the BMW S1000XR and in doing so this has got my head turned. I've even thought about removing all my extras from my CR and buying a new model but in white this time and fitting my bits to the new one (plus having the larger top box).
Like I say above, our plans are for some touring so whatever bike we have has to be a comfortable and capable tourer. Our riding is almost 90% 2up so must be able to cope well with being fully loaded.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of changing is during the 3 years i've had the CR, the rear shock has never felt up to the job whilst 2 up and that's without luggage. Also, when returning from TT last year riding solo but with full luggage, the front end felt very light when making good speed on motorways to get home - a little unnerving I must say but not sure if this had anything to do with the bike being fully loaded with panniers and the speed I was doing? I know I could get a specialist rear shock to solve this but it's just little things like this that sways me to wanting to change - plus I like having a 'new bike day'.

What would you do? I've still got a few month left and the TT again this year on the CR before I decide so no urgency.

I must add though, as I've said above I have had a test ride on the AT DCT and although it was a really lovely bike, DCT was great (first time I've ridden a bike with it), very comfortable, loads of grunt but ran out of steam top end before the CR would have, when I jumped back on to the CR I loved it again - the engine is just a peach.

Cheers

Hmmm, interesting dilemma.

If it were me, I would get the 1200X; it's a fabulous riding position, the luggage is cavernous, the engine is a stonker and the shaft-drive seals it as a great tourer.

Having said that, I've not ridden the other bikes.

JMHO.

Best of luck with your dilemma!  :031:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline voodoo

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
  • Country: Netherlands
Re: Dilemma
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:23 PM
Don't know what pcp is, but I had the same dilemma.
I have the cr for 3 years and normally I would trade in the bike for a new one, but as I like the engine so much and the bik as a whole ticks so many boxes I decided to keep it for at least another 2 years.

As for the only gripe you also mentioned: I had the suspension upgrade today.

Good luck with your descision!
Stop making sense

Offline v8guy

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 294
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: Dilemma
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 09:23:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Beetlejuice [+]
What would you do? I've still got a few month left and the TT again this year on the CR before I decide so no urgency.

I must add though, as I've said above I have had a test ride on the AT DCT and although it was a really lovely bike, DCT was great (first time I've ridden a bike with it), very comfortable, loads of grunt but ran out of steam top end before the CR would have, when I jumped back on to the CR I loved it again - the engine is just a peach.

Cheers
If it's working for you, and you can cope with the final payment, keep it and sort the suspension?

After 6 months or so with mine, I started to wonder about whether I could improve my ride quality so took a Ducati 1200 Multistrada out for a spin.. loved it, once it was above 40mph and I could quit slipping the clutch to smooth out the throttle response. Decided that aspect of it wasn't for me (mostly a suburban commuter), and jumped back on the Honda... in contrast, I absolutely loved it again so decided to see where I could take it with mods.

I went to the suspension gurus and had the front and rear sorted out. Solved the problems with harsh high-speed compression, but I've subsequently bought an aftermarket shock to cope with the demands of two-up touring. As you've discovered, the OEM shock ain't up to it at all. Not yet fitted, but will have to do so before it gets warm enough for the wife to feel like venturing out again...

As for the other bikes.. A parallel twin ain't ever going to have the top end like a four, so if you're using and enjoying that aspect, I wouldn't go there (my other bike's a parallel twin though!). The BMW I've only ever sat on, and I found its riding position really odd.. the upper body position did not seem to correspond to the lower. The Kawasaki.. mm.. I'd love to test ride one, but never find the time. That in itself makes me realise I'm totally cool with the one I already have.  :062:

/2p
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline v8guy

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 294
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: Dilemma
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:23:58 PM
*Originally Posted by voodoo [+]

As for the only gripe you also mentioned: I had the suspension upgrade today.
What did you do / get done ?
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline voodoo

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
  • Country: Netherlands
Re: Dilemma
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:55:35 PM
I had the guys at hyperpro change front spings and oil as well as the rear shock.

Stop making sense

Offline Beetlejuice

  • Crossrunner Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: 2016 CR800X
  • City / Town: Northumberland
  • Country: UK
Re: Dilemma
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 12:34:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
Hmmm, interesting dilemma.

If it were me, I would get the 1200X; it's a fabulous riding position, the luggage is cavernous, the engine is a stonker and the shaft-drive seals it as a great tourer.

Having said that, I've not ridden the other bikes.

JMHO.

Best of luck with your dilemma!  :031:

I genuinely thought I would move straight to the Crosstourer especially as I had a test ride at the same time of deciding on the CR, although it wasn't the DCT. I picked the CR at that time as it just seemed more fun. I'm hoping Honda keep the CT and update it - LED lights, cruise control, TFT dash, etc and I'd be seriously tempted then but if I move to a different Honda, it will certainly be the DCT version.

Offline Beetlejuice

  • Crossrunner Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: 2016 CR800X
  • City / Town: Northumberland
  • Country: UK
Re: Dilemma
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 12:43:47 PM
*Originally Posted by v8guy [+]
If it's working for you, and you can cope with the final payment, keep it and sort the suspension?


This is a genuine option but then the idea of a new bike takes over  :008:
Plus I have a personal issue with having to do that on a bike that's meant to be built for this purpose. If a bike is classed as an adventure tourer/sports tourer then i expect it to be able to tour 2 up and fully loaded - the rear shock especially just isn't up to that job imo.
Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:54:37 PM by Beetlejuice

Offline Beetlejuice

  • Crossrunner Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Bike: 2016 CR800X
  • City / Town: Northumberland
  • Country: UK
Re: Dilemma
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 12:47:44 PM
*Originally Posted by v8guy [+]
The Kawasaki.. mm.. I'd love to test ride one

The Kawasaki is a lovely smooth bike to ride and very comfortable. I test rode one when deciding 3yrs ago although it was the ugly duckling mk1 model but still a great bike. The new model looks superb but not sure if the price when it's fully kitted out is going to move it into Triumph Tiger/KTM/GS territory? I've always been a Honda or Kawasaki person so tend to steer towards these models

Offline v8guy

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 294
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: Dilemma
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 08:31:50 PM
*Originally Posted by Beetlejuice [+]
Plus I have a personal issue with having to do that on a bike that's meant to be built for this purpose. If a bike is classed as an adventure tourer/sports tourer then i expect it to be able to tour 2 up and fully loaded - the rear shock especially just isn't up to that job imo.
But isn't this the standard of modestly priced bikes these days? Their price is kept relatively low by equipping them with suspension components that are good enough for the average rider - solo, maybe with luggage. The KTMs, BMWs, Ducatis, etc that are extra $$$ come with high quality suspension that'll adapt to the demands of the less average rider (hardcore sport, or two-up touring) as standard.

I've come to take the view that if I want a modestly priced bike, I'll end up sorting out the suspension afterwards for far less than the additional cost of buying something that I know will handle two-up touring out of the crate. If I don't want that hassle, I must cough up more for a bike that comes with better quality suspension in the first place.

Hey ho.. just speculating, but this approach has always worked for me!
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

 



recent