Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Wax or oil  (Read 794 times)

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 800x
  • City / Town: Peterhead
Re: Wax or oil
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 07:00:51 PM »
I think the reason I would wait is because of all the wax that is already on the chain. The chain would have to be removed to get it to the cleanliness that I would like before going for an oiler. Looking at the suggestions above, the cobrra does look like a really good option, especially as it leaves the rest of the bike unaltered. I will have a “scrape” soon to see what lurks underneath!!!

Offline Mamamali

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Teesside
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
Not sure if you have made your mind up yet and not sure if my opinion will help but here we go. I used a Scottoiler on my last two bikes, what it's great for is lazy riders who can't be bothered with dedicated chain maintenance. They do make more mess than lube as it's a total loss system so oil gets all over the place. If you adjust to a drop a minute that will give you about the right amount of lubing but that will vary with the temperature so the warmer is gets the oil thins and more comes out, the opposite for the cold (the more expensive electronic scottoiler do not suffer from this),so adjusting as you go through the year is the best thing and isn't that difficult to do. Every 6-700 mile top up the reservoir and wipe the chain with an oily rag and clean off the back wheel and away you go. I had a 1200 Multistrada and so did a few of my mates,we all ride the same, touring and fast road riding. I got 16,000 mile out of my OEM chain, one of my mates who cleans and lubes his chain very regularly and is focused on chain maintenance got the same mileage and a bit more before changing. The one who did neither managed about 12,000 mile. I've decide for my CR to go back to standard lubing. Having used all types of chain lube over the years including waxes, sticky lubes and standard lubes etc I have settled on Wurth Dry chain lube. The sticking ones seem to attract road grime which sticks to the lube making a not very useful grinding paste. The dry lube goes on dry but I think it goes a bit liquid with the heat. Anyway, just my humble opinion, most riders who use automatic lubing devices are rather vociferous in their belief but I honestly believe if offers no more chain life than a dedicated and strict cleaning and lubing regime. phew....must now go and get a life !!   :030:

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 800x
  • City / Town: Peterhead
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:51 PM »
Hi Mamamali, thanks for your response above. Since asking the question, I spent a good couple of hours removing all the wax and sticky mess from the chain and surrounding areas. When I did this, I was shocked at the state of the links underneath. They were corroded on the outside and there was play on some of the rollers. The sprockets themselves also had a bit of wear. Not a good start to my ownership as I’ve only been out on it in the dry and covered a mere two hundred miles. Eek. I have now oiled it and although not perfect, this will be done until it is replaced and an oiler fitted.
Regards

recent