Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: A proper front mudguard tail  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Ondav4

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X
A proper front mudguard tail
on: March 30, 2019, 03:44:00 PM
Crosstourer has a proper mudguard. Add an extender and it's tail length is optimal.
Crossrunner has a stupid cropped off item that is no longer a mudguard lifted from the sports tourer.
Perfect for filling the radiator matrix with shite and raising the chances of actual perforation of same.
I started with Pyramids extender but found its fit poor(surprisingly) and still too short in its tail length.
I replaced that with R&G's extender and that fitted much better. Still too short however.
I purchased a 200mm square sheet of nitrile rubber from fleBay and used the extender end radius to copy the shape onto the sheet.
I now cut out a mudflap to my taste and bonded it to the inside of the extender using gel super glue finished by flowing a thin cyanoacrylate around the edges with care.
The extender is now heavier as you'd expect so for once I used the supplied 4mm plastic push rivets to take the strain. Prior to install I roughened the tongue portion of the extender/drilled some additional holes to help the bond of the black rtv silicone rubber I would apply.
Job done and maximum protection👍🏻
Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:52:51 PM by Ondav4

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner 800x
  • City / Town: Peterhead
Re: A proper front mudguard tail
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 12:06:41 AM
Good custom job there and don’t understand the shortness of the standard one. Could you tell me where you purchased the r & g gloss fender extender? Can only seem to find the matt or carbon ones.
Thanks

Online Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 12:38:23 AM
A word of caution.  The larger mudguard has greater air resistance and being longer will place significantly more adverse upward leverage at its pivot point - effectively where it is attached to the bike.  Unless you have modified the mounting points to take the increased strain or the guard is made from new, more resilient plastic, it is possible that in time stress fractures will develop and wreck the mudguard.  This used to happen a lot on the original VFR 800s where fender extenders were fitted.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Ondav4

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 03:19:07 AM
R&G extender from "Racing-Products" (eBay)
Their image shows matt but it came through as gloss. It does match the P-H motorcycle bodywork rear hugger also from eBay. The hugger length comes right up to just past the vertical and fits very well.

Offline Ondav4

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 03:42:06 AM
I had the VFR800FI myself. I would have fitted an extender but don't now remember it having the supportive metal 'fork brace' as Honda call it underneath the mudguard that is there on VFR800X and NC750's?
Now I think of it I've probably fitted 50+ extenders usually Pyramid to all sorts of bikes and touch wood no issues any of them. I usually bond them in position having removed/inverted mudguard/weighted down whilst curing. I wouldn't usually use the supplied plastic rivets but they are a big improvement over the earlier ghastly tapping screws at least. On this occasion I did as the modified extender is up by a a few grammes.
Interestingly the supplying dealer suggests that Honda may have fitted a mudguard barely reaching rear of the forks for a more "slick" appearance.
I must be very old indeed because to me they're stupid fenders, useless as well as looking ridiculous.
Anyone increasing the coverage from their fender extender needn't go as long as I have of course. As I say I am very old and I like to minimise filth reaching radiators and cooking onto hot pipes.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 03:53:29 PM
had the Pyramid one ... that flew away somewhere unknown...no rivits no real attachment.. happy with R&G : rivited and to date .... still there but 100% agree .. why is the standard one so short?! besides the risk of crud and stones ..around the rad the alloy paint on mine is flaking .. salt effect ..most likely from spray ..(26000 miles : rain and shine winter summer riding )

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:30:37 AM
I have the standard R&G extender fitted. It's glued on with epoxy glue and has lasted more than 33000 miles so far. Greater mileage for the same procedure on my previous VFR800 so I don't believe rivets are necessary for standard items.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 09:56:16 PM
Ondav4 - Looks like you accidently created a duplicate topic, it's now been removed  :038:

:031:

* Recent Topics