Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Off road anyone ??  (Read 2244 times)

Offline leevtr

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Romford
Off road anyone ??
on: April 02, 2019, 08:25:22 PM
Alright boys & girls,

Has anyone put off knobbies/dualsport tyres on their CR and taken it off road ? I don't mean full on mud plugging, more like unmade gravel . I'd love to do a Morocco trip and would want to go off the beaten track.

Cheers

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
Re: Off road anyone ??
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:50:39 PM
I find the cr a very crap at greenlaning/offroading, to (top)heavy and to small front wheel. Both my TDM and (offcourse) Ténéré were way better at it.
Tires were Pirelli Scorpion trail 2's, which is not really a dual sport tire.

Stop making sense

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Vfr800x
  • City / Town: Neath
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:12:34 PM
I ve done a little bit of greenlaning on the cr and in all fairness it did what was asked given the limitations of the tyres fitted at the time . My old buell uyleeses had 17" wheels and once fitted knobblies went round a mx track was great fun and yes not the perfect size hoop but it worked well .

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 07:16:43 AM
*Originally Posted by leevtr [+]
Alright boys & girls,

Has anyone put off knobbies/dualsport tyres on their CR and taken it off road ? I don't mean full on mud plugging, more like unmade gravel . I'd love to do a Morocco trip and would want to go off the beaten track.

Cheers
I've tried it too and can confirm the Dresser is about as much use as a pair of tits on a Nun off road. Horses for courses and all that  :028:

Online Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:09:10 PM
The biggest limitation to serious overland travel such as Morrocco on my Mk1 CR would be the twin side-mounted radiators.  Have a bad drop and you could easily be stranded.

Later models benefit from a more conventional design I think, but it is still a road bike in a trailee stylee, not an actual trail bike.  The new Africa Twin might be a better bet.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Micku

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 800
  • City / Town: Northwest
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 10:09:54 PM
I found my VFR coped with most of the roads in Morocco but didn't taking it offroad. The only time I came unstuck was on the roundabout on my way into Tangier, it had just been freshly covered in used cooking oil  :008:
Nobody sat next to me on the ferry over to Spain  :001:
Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:13:05 PM by Micku

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 04:13:23 AM
Love it Micku  :046:

Offline Mkcx

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Honda Cx500
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 06:54:03 PM
The CR isn't any better than any other dedicated road bike. It has the weight of the large adventure machines but without the suspension travel and larger diameter front wheel. As already mentioned the radiators are vulnerable. It'll handle easy gravel roads but won't be much better than any other road bike with an upright seating position.

It's not a bike I would use for Morocco, too limiting - lots of good off road riding to be had there that you would miss out on.

I'm looking at a CRF250L for off road travel as a second (or really 4th) bike but there are plenty of larger machines that can be had for not much money.

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 08:32:44 AM
*Originally Posted by leevtr [+]
Alright boys & girls,

Cheers
I've riden alot of gravel roads with PR GT's no probs. Not the best choice for it, no. But with duelsports you'll be good for what you mentioned and have dirt riding skills, maybe re-tune the suspension if needed, I don't but I don't ride it like mx, just cruise & take in the view. It does shake the sh!t out of the dash assembly though but it seems to keep working. Just do it, she'll be right, thats part of the adventure. :031:
Have a look at the Pirelli MT60-RS range.
Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:10:58 AM by Haddo

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 10:01:12 AM
Also a tip...traction control ON, plus sometimes you may have to lock the back wheel up on wash outs.  :114:
Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:06:52 AM by Haddo