Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hello  (Read 429 times)

Offline Roadrocket

• Crossrunner Junior
Hello
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »
Nearly smitten.  Have a Tracer 700 which I bought because it was light.  Getting near 70, it was just what I needed.  However, although very easy to manage, it does not feel "planted".  As I previously had an ST1100 which I sold as I thought it was getting too heavy, I thought I'd give a VFR800X a try.  I'd previously had a ride on a very early 800 VFR which really impressed me.   So not being able to get a VFR800X, I went out on a VFR800.  Well, I was out for about two and a half hours as I just didn't want to come back.  Not my style though as back and wrists not up to it.  So now looking for a demo X to try.  I am pretty sure the X will be even better so could well be looking at becoming a Cr owner.  Any issues to look for when buying second hand?  Thanks

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Roadrocket [+]
Nearly smitten.  Have a Tracer 700 which I bought because it was light.  Getting near 70, it was just what I needed.  However, although very easy to manage, it does not feel "planted".  As I previously had an ST1100 which I sold as I thought it was getting too heavy, I thought I'd give a VFR800X a try.  I'd previously had a ride on a very early 800 VFR which really impressed me.   So not being able to get a VFR800X, I went out on a VFR800.  Well, I was out for about two and a half hours as I just didn't want to come back.  Not my style though as back and wrists not up to it.  So now looking for a demo X to try.  I am pretty sure the X will be even better so could well be looking at becoming a Cr owner.  Any issues to look for when buying second hand?  Thanks

Hi. I don't think there are any issues per se, except anything specific to that bike usually caused by poor ownership/maintenance. Previous VFR issues such as wiring & reg/rec have been sorted on the 14+ Cr model. I bought mine with 100 miles on the clock, she now has over 35k and is going very strong and still looks good despite 3 winters of near-daily commuting. Typical Honda!  :028:

Keep us abreast of your progress and pics when you finally buy would be great.  Best of luck.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline Ben

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Ben
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
I have a 15 model with just under 7000 miles on it and it still looks like new.

It's a great Bike, brilliant quality all rounder and riding position is very relaxed so you can take in the surroundings.

Just had some Metzler Roadtec 1 tyres fitted as Pirelli Scorpions were worn on the front sides.

I wouldn't have believed they could be such a massive improvement, it's like a different bike, much more solid and confidence inspiring in wet and dry conditions.  If I knew this, I would have changed them from the word go.

:419:

Offline Roadrocket

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 06:13:44 PM »
Well I managed an hour or so on an X.  Had to ride one and a half hours away to get the ride.  Have to say I did not come away with the same "wow" factor as I did on the VFR800.  Brilliant bike, did everything as it should.  Seat excellent, riding position brilliant engine fine.  One aspect was the throttle, on the X it felt more "on and off" from tickover compared to the VFR I tried.  Over the rest of the range it was fine.  Is this typical or could it be adjusted/re-set?

Also the offer to p/x my Tracer was terrible.  I understand it was just the starting offer but still just just a joke.  Difference of £750 between two Honda dealers.  Unfortunately, the dealer with the better offer does not have a red one which I would prefer.  So will give it some more thought and look for a more local bike.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:58:31 PM »
What year model was it?

My old 07 VFR800, same engine as the early model Crossrunners, was prone to some annoying lack of smooth throttle response which I solved quite easily but shouldn't have had to. My Cr, which has the new engine, 2015+, does not have any issues like the old engine.

Offline Roadrocket

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
Both of them were this year's models at different dealers.  Thought both models would have the same throttle response from tickover. Still looking for more local bike and am not in a rush.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »
Both of them were this year's models at different dealers.  Thought both models would have the same throttle response from tickover. Still looking for more local bike and am not in a rush.

Perhaps this years' Euro 4 mods are affecting the throttle response?

Would you consider buying a previous years' model?

Offline Roadrocket

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:21 PM »
I guess so, not knowledgable enough to know the differences.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
I guess so, not knowledgable enough to know the differences.

I think it's just engine management changes to comply with Euro 4 but am happy to be corrected.

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Vfr800x
  • City / Town: Neath
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
Road rocket my 17 model has perfect throttle response . My brother has just done a deal for a red 19 plate and that's also spot on .

recent
recent