Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Power take off  (Read 986 times)

Offline proby

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 17
  • City / Town: London
Power take off
on: May 13, 2019, 03:52:40 PM
Hi Guys,
I just been given a bike tomtom sat nav for my birthday and want to run a power supply up to the mounting on the handlebars.
I don't really want to run it all the way from the battery area so was wondering if there is an easy way to tap into the power supply off the loom at the handlebar area.
Any suggestions.

PS I know there is a power take off on the fairing but I wanted to keep this free for my hair dryer :0).

Offline Zoser

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Jersey UK
Re: Power take off
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:50:59 AM
Not sure how old my TomTom Rider is.  It came with my 2015 when I brought the bike last month.  After updating the maps etc using the pc it took me several hours of playing about to get the hang of it.  It's totally different to my TomTom Start 62 which I found relatively easy.

The Rider takes ages to calculate routes, and cannot locate the GPS for several minutes on boot.  I have neither problem with my Start 62.  I suspect my Rider has an old processor or something.

Having spent several hours on it I'm OK.  I find it best to program in destinations using GPS co-ordinates.  Go on Googe Maps to find these.  I wouldn't like to have to alter the Rider on the move with gloves!

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Camberley
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:43:17 PM
I've binned my TomTom Rider.  It's not easy to use, can't deal with the modern map sizes needed and I think it's effected by the sat nav date problem that happened recently.

I now have a waterproof phone case, USB charging to the handlebars and my phone as the sat nav using Sygic.  So far it's been ideal.  It will really get tested out next week in the Dolomites!  I have a bunch of pre-planned routes which Sygic works well with but Google Maps does not.

All in it was about £130 including fitting a new USB socket under the seat - much more palatable than £350 for a new sat nav.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 05:17:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Zoser [+]
Not sure how old my TomTom Rider is.  It came with my 2015 when I brought the bike last month.  After updating the maps etc using the pc it took me several hours of playing about to get the hang of it.  It's totally different to my TomTom Start 62 which I found relatively easy.

The Rider takes ages to calculate routes, and cannot locate the GPS for several minutes on boot.  I have neither problem with my Start 62.  I suspect my Rider has an old processor or something.

Having spent several hours on it I'm OK.  I find it best to program in destinations using GPS co-ordinates.  Go on Googe Maps to find these.  I wouldn't like to have to alter the Rider on the move with gloves!

Have you tried route planning with TYRE? Dead easy.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Zoser

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Jersey UK
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 05:48:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Slaine [+]
I've binned my TomTom Rider.  It's not easy to use, can't deal with the modern map sizes needed and I think it's effected by the sat nav date problem that happened recently.

I now have a waterproof phone case, USB charging to the handlebars and my phone as the sat nav using Sygic.  So far it's been ideal.  It will really get tested out next week in the Dolomites!  I have a bunch of pre-planned routes which Sygic works well with but Google Maps does not.

All in it was about £130 including fitting a new USB socket under the seat - much more palatable than £350 for a new sat nav.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me that found it not user friendly.  As I said I have sorted it now.

In answer to your question Skid, I loaded up 'Tyre' but couldn't get my head around it.  Maybe I should have watched a youtube video on it?  Can you recommend one?

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:59:47 PM
*Originally Posted by Zoser [+]
Glad to hear it wasn't just me that found it not user friendly.  As I said I have sorted it now.

In answer to your question Skid, I loaded up 'Tyre' but couldn't get my head around it.  Maybe I should have watched a youtube video on it?  Can you recommend one?

Errrr…..pop round and I'll show you how it works.  :027:

btw I hate my new rider I got with the Cr.
Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:15:47 PM by Skids
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Mamamali

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Teesside
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 08:20:43 PM
Proby, not sure if you can get in anywhere on the handle bars. When I got mine it had a USB wired in so I removed that and fitted my Garmin mount. I came from the wiring harness where it leads to the diag plug under the seat on the left hand side of the bike. I can send you some pictures if it helps. It was no problem running the cable through to the handle bar area and it works off the ignition so no worry about leaving it switched on overnight etc. Cheers

Rob

Offline reghol

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2019 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Alicante
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 09:12:10 PM
Hi I have a 2019 bike and want to fit my garmin can anybody tell me how to remove plastic panels on the left hand side of tank. I want to run the wire from under the seat. I have undone the allen  bolt by the tank and try to pull plastic panel away but it feels like it is going to break is there anything else holding them on. Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Mamamali

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Teesside
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 06:31:22 AM
Hi, I took the whole front off to lift the tank, it was a long job with lots of fasteners. give yourself plenty of time, it's a lot easier the second time !!

From the forum;

you can find some stuff in this forum... but for me was Try and error

First, Underside of the beak, remove 4x push-in-plastic-rivets, remove part of the beak.
, now you can see another splitpen like rivet, turn it out with a screwdriver, or just pop the centre out.
The right side of the fairing has an allen bolt on top, and one in the opening (radiator air outlet) remove them.
On the inside , where the fork turns, you find some more push rivets, remove the ones on the right side as well.
Now its time to wiggle the point of the fairing ( where it says Crossrunner) try to unlock the first part.
Big trick : push the whole fairing to the back, un-hook it from the support (2 clicks) and push it a bit further back , The fairing is hooked  under the tank.  Turn the fairing to un-hook.

When putting the fairing back, pay attention to the way it is mounted flush unto the tank, must go UNDER the bracket when pushing the fairing forwards.

Remember where all push rivits were fitted (2 kinds, different shape) , wiggle the fairing somewhat to put the upper Allenbolt back

Re-fit the part in the beak, NOTE : it should be flush with the underside of the headlight, no gap !

Best tip : take your time , don't break the fairing