Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hello and some questions  (Read 499 times)

Offline NurseRatchet

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2012 V strom 650
  • City / Town: Perth
Hello and some questions
on: June 05, 2019, 11:23:50 AM
Hi from Australia.

I don't own a Crossrunner (yet), but I was hoping to get some input before I consider parting with my '12 V-strom 650.
I've had test rides with the Crossrunner before and found it very comfortable, relaxed in character and great for commuting. However, I can't get a test over long stretches of highway.
Currently I have two choices. A Demo 2016 model for sale at a dealership, or a 2014 Honda Crosstourer (which I also found very nice despite its bulk).
The 800X appears to be the better street bike, but I am also 6'6"/89kg sans gear and I'm very wary of being cramped.

1) Does anyone have any advice about which bike may be the better way to go? The initial purchase cost of both is close enough that it's not really swaying me.
2) If I were to go for the Crossrunner, is there any recommendation (or specific posts from others) on what windshields and pegs to look at for for better wind protection and legroom?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I enjoy my wee strom, but really want a triple or V4 bike that's suited for a lanky guy.

Online Si Click

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Re: Hello and some questions
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 08:22:44 PM
I assume the 2014 bike is a Mk1. If so it is much more closely based on the VFR800 VTEC than the later bike.  This is significant as the pegs are pretty much in the same place as the 800 VTEC and are therefore more sportsbike than trailie.  Comfortable and sporty for me at 5'6", not so much fun at 6'6".
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline NurseRatchet

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 04:13:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Si Click [+]
I assume the 2014 bike is a Mk1. If so it is much more closely based on the VFR800 VTEC than the later bike.  This is significant as the pegs are pretty much in the same place as the 800 VTEC and are therefore more sportsbike than trailie.  Comfortable and sporty for me at 5'6", not so much fun at 6'6".
The 2014 bike I'm looking at is a Crosstourer: the 1200X. I've tried siting on the Mk1 800X and found that very strange, so I've got it narrowed down to a Crosstourer or a Mk2 Crossrunner.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 06:01:01 AM
Considering your height, I'd guess you may weight a little more than the average guy, in which case I'd suggest the 1200X would be more suited. It is also shaft-driven and therefore requires less routine maintenance. Not sure about screens but I have fitted Thurn Motorsports lowered pegs for Mrs Skids on my 1200F and I know they do them for the front too. The extra weight of the 1200 disappears once she's moving, especially if you can upgrade the suspension; my 1200 feels like an 800 now and corners superbly (despite me being the rider!  :156:)

1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline NurseRatchet

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 04:57:50 AM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
Considering your height, I'd guess you may weight a little more than the average guy, in which case I'd suggest the 1200X would be more suited. It is also shaft-driven and therefore requires less routine maintenance. Not sure about screens but I have fitted Thurn Motorsports lowered pegs for Mrs Skids on my 1200F and I know they do them for the front too. The extra weight of the 1200 disappears once she's moving, especially if you can upgrade the suspension; my 1200 feels like an 800 now and corners superbly (despite me being the rider!  :156:)
I'm relatively light for my height (around 90kg/200lb), but I still would be heavier than most.
Friend of mine recently reminded me of the idea of traveling around Australia and eventually the world, so it looks like I may swing to the Crosstourer after all. Overall, I know I'd enjoy either bike - Honda does a great job with their V4 bikes.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 09:43:03 AM
*Originally Posted by NurseRatchet [+]
I'm relatively light for my height (around 90kg/200lb), but I still would be heavier than most.
Friend of mine recently reminded me of the idea of traveling around Australia and eventually the world, so it looks like I may swing to the Crosstourer after all. Overall, I know I'd enjoy either bike - Honda does a great job with their V4 bikes.

The 1200X would be an excellent choice for a long range tour. The engine is an absolute stonker.

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 10:36:23 PM
I traded my R3 Touring for a lighter touring bike. Out of all options Tiger,v Strom etc. I settled on a 16 XRunner. Since then I've travelled every state & territory bar WA. They do have a more cramped riding position but I'm 89kg 5"10 with seat fully lowered. On long runs 800kms or so I just move my feet position on the pegs now & then so it's not that much of a problem. The seat however takes a while to break in. The 800x got me because it was set up well out of the box. No changing bars or anything, just some adjustments with stock gear.
As far as touring on open roads Barkley, Stuart HWY etc. I thought it may fall short after the R3T, but it nails it. Solo with luggage it rounds up road trains & traffic with ease, plenty of power & great fuel ecconomy. The longer suspension helps on shit country roads & they handle gravell very well.. If you plan on travelling country at speed keep the lower screen. If you travelling long distance with luggage & pillion go the 1200x. The 800x is good for pillions up to about 500kms trips then they get fidgety. But long haul solo the 800x nails it. I shopped on bikesales & picked up a brand new 800x in Briso. 12months old $12,300 ride away. Keep a eye out for bargains & demo deals. It can be worth a $150 plane ticket to pick up.
 :031:

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 08:44:11 AM
cannot fault earlier replies regarding 1200x however i too traded up from a vstrom 650 and if you fitted that you will find the crossrunner 2016 so much smoother capable and adaptable .. without the weight of the tourer! i have done 6000 miles in 3 weeks on runner at 5-10 height its comfortable and capable more recently 2000 in 7 daysin solid rain  and its a stormer keeping up with master riders on gs and rt’s  : try it ..

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 09:17:29 AM
I know this is off topic but a lot of folk focus on the weight of both models of VFR1200 as an issue but it really isn't. The weight is distributed such that it feels like it sheds a hundred kilos as soon as it moves. And having spent a decent sum on upgrading the suspension on my 1200F, it handles as good as any of my 800s have, even with their suspension upgrades.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 11:54:15 AM
totally agree regarding the moving xtourer .. but its the dead weight when stopping on steep cambered road or gravel car park and just moving it without engine on that kills me ..

* Recent Topics

topic HELP ! Luggage kit info.
[Accessories and Products]
GeoffTheChef
September 13, 2019, 08:57:43 PM
topic BEST HANDGUARDS ?
[Accessories and Products]
voodoo
September 12, 2019, 07:00:10 AM
topic Hello from Manchester !
[New Members]
voodoo