Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Damage after low speed offf  (Read 569 times)

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Vfr800x
  • City / Town: Neath
Damage after low speed offf
on: May 02, 2019, 08:32:13 AM
I had a slow off on Sunday and I'm very surprised at the extent of the damage .Im even more shocked at the cost of those little plastic panels and the headlight  price is criminal . I decided to claim on my insurance and the bike is being picked up today for assessment .My concern is the bike rides fine but will they wright it off due to the cosmetic repair costs only time will tell . I have however noted why so much got damaged ,the beak got a tweak off a very low stone wall and this shove on the side caused all the others opposite panel to crack and break all the fixings in fact anything on the frontal area is damaged if it's plastic . Crash bungs did save the side with only a few scratches on the clutch case and end can . If it gets written off I will get another cr and was thinking would those crash bars actually have saved any of the damage I have ? Has anyone had any experience having an off with these crash bars fitted . Cheers for any recommendations you may have .

Online stubax

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: VRF800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Damage after low speed offf
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:36:58 AM
Know what you mean about cost involved. Had 2x 0 speed drops last year necessitating some new parts, cost was  :005: for simple items. Luckily crash bungs did their job as it was on flat surfaces.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:39:19 PM
I also had a zero speed off on my driveway the week after I fitted a set of Givi bars. Whilst the nice black coating on the bars has been scratched, there was no other discernible damage.

If they do decide to write-off your bike, ask them how much to buy it back. I did this with my old 98 VFR800 after an idiot side-swiped me. I got a full payout and bought the bike back (for peanuts) and re-built it. It was only a Cat D write-off, so cosmetic damage only and I found loads of 2nd-hand parts off other scrapped bikes and continued riding the bike for many years/miles after that. Just a thought.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 08:35:56 PM
Skids I did have a look for 2nd hand parts that I would need and there was nothing available ,I could get a headlight from Poland but panels there is nowt about . I've just had a message from the assessors repair place to say it's reparable but will contact me soon as to costs and full extent of the damage and give me a parts list etc .

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 09:50:28 PM
*Originally Posted by Ferretvfr800 [+]
Skids I did have a look for 2nd hand parts that I would need and there was nothing available ,I could get a headlight from Poland but panels there is nowt about . I've just had a message from the assessors repair place to say it's reparable but will contact me soon as to costs and full extent of the damage and give me a parts list etc .

Maybe this is not the answer then.  :003:
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 07:57:43 PM
Well I've just had a call from the assessor about the parts costs ,I nearly fell over backwards , so far it's north of 3500 and then there's labour and vat ,so I think it's gonna be close call on weather it's repaired or written off . I do not how a headlight can cost a grand .

Offline Ferretvfr800

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:04:57 AM
The cr got written off as the assessors came up with a bill overĀ£5k .I looked at another cr as I was just so happy with the bike overall. However that's not the outcome I've ended up with .I took a few test rides to get my fix while waiting for the insurance etc and tried a ktm 790 Duke .What a piece of kit and that's what I now have .WHY ,it's 80kg less ,60mpg average regardless of how you ride ,more grunt down the bottom end ,comfy ,great fit n finish ,auto blipper/quick shifter and an impressive electronics package but most of all it's fun and reminds me of my old lc .

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 10:09:23 AM
Assessors will take into account everything that will return your bike to its pre-incident condition including all safety aspects. They won't return a vehicle if there is any possibility of any liability issiues down the track, therefore the cost of repair will exceed what you would do/pay for yourself. Thats the beauty of taking out insurance so just pay your excess and let them sort it out. Having said that, the only grip I have is the 10 pieces of plastic & crazy amount of retainers these bikes have.  Surely they could cut it down to a couple of fareings. Anyway, I have my bike insured also so its their problem.

recent