Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Which engine bars?  (Read 305 times)

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 CrossRunner
  • City / Town: London
Which engine bars?
« on: June 17, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »
I've come round to the idea of fitting a set of engine bars. Any recommendations?

So far I've found aftermarket sets from Givi, SW Motech and Hepco & Becker, in addition to the OEM. I'm leaning towards the SW Motech set atm, but any comments or experiences are welcome!
Current: 2015 Honda VFR800X, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Which engine bars?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
I went through the same process before getting the Givi. My reasoning was the mounting points and robustness of the Givi bars made them more effective than the others.

JMO of course.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline stubax

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: VRF800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 12:02:41 PM »
When I got my bike I enquired about the Honda bars, dealer talked me out of them as he said they wouldn't offer any protection and where only for mounting aux. lights

Offline AndrewP

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 01:09:22 PM »
Mine's got the SW-Motech ones, and the protection on both sides "should" be adequate. Not keen to test the level of protection they offer any time soon. :008:
And the Lord said unto John, “Come forth and you will receive eternal life.”
But John came in fifth - and won a toaster.

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'd agree, in some respects, with the notion that engine bars won't make much difference for some kinds of crashes.. a big, heavy bike like ours will go down hard if it goes down. At the same time some protection for engine casings and plastics in the event of a low speed drop seems an entirely sane idea.

@skids - the mounting point of the various options seems to be the same, no? The Givi bars do look more substantial wrt cross-bracing though.

Part of my reasoning for fitting them is so I have something to attach those Lomo bags someone posted about a while back.. can't get enough wine in the cases! :008:
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner 800x
  • City / Town: Peterhead
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »
Hi, V8guy, have you decided which ones to go for? I like the look of the hepco + becker ones as they almost follow the lines of the plastic covers. On the other hand, the other two mentioned above do look as though they might offer a bit more protection as where they mount to the frame is more in line with bar it’s self.

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 10:46:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Goggins [+]
Hi, V8guy, have you decided which ones to go for? I like the look of the hepco + becker ones as they almost follow the lines of the plastic covers. On the other hand, the other two mentioned above do look as though they might offer a bit more protection as where they mount to the frame is more in line with bar it’s self.

No, not decided yet. It's hard to know which would provide better protection, really.. it's just speculation. I just ask that they can protect the bike in a stationary or relatively low speed spill. I think any accident at higher speeds, short of encasing the entire bike in a roll cage, is likely to result in a write-off based on the cost of fairing parts and the weight of the bike. The laws of physics apply; heavy bike == much momentum == big damage.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 08:17:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by v8guy [+]
No, not decided yet. It's hard to know which would provide better protection, really.. it's just speculation. I just ask that they can protect the bike in a stationary or relatively low speed spill. I think any accident at higher speeds, short of encasing the entire bike in a roll cage, is likely to result in a write-off based on the cost of fairing parts and the weight of the bike. The laws of physics apply; heavy bike == much momentum == big damage.

Yr absolutely correct.  :028:

A week after I fitted my Givi's, I dropped the bike on the driveway.  :019:

The only damage was scuffing on the bars themselves so they did their job.

I imagine most makes will do the same job.

Offline DaveT

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 09:41:23 PM »
first thing i fitted to my bike were givi bars. oh boy am i glad i did. pulled up on slope whilst out today and dropped bike on to left side thought the worst. givi bars took the whole weight, light touch to front indicator and rear pegs scratch on bars which took whole weight. best £100 i've ever spent  :047:

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 09:51:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by DaveT [+]
first thing i fitted to my bike were givi bars. oh boy am i glad i did. pulled up on slope whilst out today and dropped bike on to left side thought the worst. givi bars took the whole weight, light touch to front indicator and rear pegs scratch on bars which took whole weight. best £100 i've ever spent  :047:

:028: Glad yr ok.