Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: VTEC Lag(?)  (Read 295 times)

Offline AndrewP

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
  • City / Town: London
VTEC Lag(?)
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »
Hello guys,

After the first couple of hundred miles on my 2015 Crossrunner, I noticed a couple of things, and Google wasn't that helpful in answering my queries, so hope you can!

I was cruising at around 5k rpm on 6th, and opened the throttle in order to overtake. Just before it hit the threshold where the VTEC valves would kick in, the bike just shut the throttle completely for a split second before going about its business.

Something similar happened again today, was on 1st gear from a stop at a traffic light, this time however, it happened well after the VTEC threshold. I did notice today that the Traction Control light was blinking right after the power loss.

Just to check whether it's TC being ultra aggressive (and borderline dangerous), I tried lifting off hard on the throttle, but the 2nd time around TC just worked as I would expect it to.

So, what gives?
And the Lord said unto John, “Come forth and you will receive eternal life.”
But John came in fifth - and won a toaster.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: VTEC Lag(?)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »
Andrew, that's definitely not normal behaviour.

Sounds as though you may have an issue with the TC cutting in inadvertently. Might be worth checking the TC wiring for any chafing that might lead to a short or any water ingress.

If that proves futile, then a deeper check of the wiring loom may be in order, but your mention of the TC light would suggest it is a TC issue.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:26:10 PM by Skids »
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline AndrewP

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
 Thanks! I will give it a check to see if I can find anything out of the ordinary. Would TC have the power of shutting down all thorttle to the bike? In that case I can just shut TC off completely and wheelie/powerslide/crash my way to work.

I'll try and see if I can accurately replicate the behaviour so I can make better sense of under what circumstances it happens.

Offline AndrewP

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 05:31:42 PM »
I have managed to accurately replicate the power cut off by opening the throttle over manhole covers. This only happens when TC lvl2. The annoying thing is that it always defaults to lvl2 everytime I switch the bike on.

Is there a way to make it default to lvl1? And should it be doing that on lvl2 anyhow?

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
TC lvl2 sucks! I got used to pushing the TC button every ride. Did 45.000km so far and this little niggle is about the only one, and it doesn't make me want to buy another bike.
Stop making sense

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 06:08:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by AndrewP [+]
I have managed to accurately replicate the power cut off by opening the throttle over manhole covers. This only happens when TC lvl2. The annoying thing is that it always defaults to lvl2 everytime I switch the bike on.

Is there a way to make it default to lvl1? And should it be doing that on lvl2 anyhow?

Not that I am aware of. If the TC, even on 2, is cutting in routinely on anything other than a slippery surface AND with a lot of throttle demand, then there's something wrong with the sensor imo.

My TC rarely cuts in, but when it does, I am aware of the reason why and it's usually down to me demanding too much. So either you are asking too much of it or it is not working correctly.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 06:37:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
Not that I am aware of. If the TC, even on 2, is cutting in routinely on anything other than a slippery surface AND with a lot of throttle demand, then there's something wrong with the sensor imo.

My TC rarely cuts in, but when it does, I am aware of the reason why and it's usually down to me demanding too much. So either you are asking too much of it or it is not working correctly.
Or maybe your rear tyre is Donald  :084:

Offline AndrewP

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 06:12:09 PM »
Tyres are allright, they still got quite a lot of miles in them.

With TC lv1 this is no longer happening, I guess I'll need to remember to switch it from 2 to 1 for spirited riding.

recent