Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2017 Whine noise at 40 mph  (Read 492 times)

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
Re: 2017 Whine noise at 40 mph
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 03:08:29 PM
Putting weight on the front suspension will make no difference at all. It is all simply a matter of geometry. I will try to explain. There are three points that are of concern here. They are the centre of the drive sprocket on the gearbox, the centre of the swing arm pivot and the centre of the drive sprocket on the back wheel. If all three of these points are in line they will give a measurement. At this point the chain will be at its tightest.
If you take a line between the drive sprocket and the driven sprocket that is the course the chain takes. If you move the swing arm up or down of where all three are on the same line, the chain will become slacker because the distance between the two points is less. Therefore the easiest way to set an amount of slackness in the chain is to set the chain when all three are in line and leave no slack. then fit the shock absorber and leave the bike at rest on the side stand and see how much slack there is. Honda have done all of this for you and have calculated how much slack there should be when sat on the side stand and the suspension preload set to the factory setting. This means that at no point will the chain be too tight when the bike is loaded, but conversely just right.
I hope this all makes sense.
Another way to look at this on paper is to draw three points in line on a page. One on the left side then one at 5 centimetres to the right of the first and then another 50 centimetres to the right of the first. Number them 1, 2 and 3. 1 represents the gearbox sprocket, 2 represents the swing arm pivot point and 3 represents the centre of the rear when sprocket. Take a pair of compasses and put the point on point 1, draw an arc at point 3. Now put the compasses point on point 2 and draw an arc at point 3. You will see that the arcs are the same when all points are in line but there is a gap between the arcs as they move away from point 3. This gap represents the chain becoming slack.

Offline garyten

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: belfast
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 02:52:24 AM
Thank you all for your input, and your time.

I agree, and i think(hopefully), that the owners Manual is the correct way, and that as i, and Skids, have noticed, the tension is "minimal" when sat on the bike, and i think that's what Honda intended.

I also believe that, as the post above explains, that clearance is to allow for the straight line, "maximum" that the bike needs for normal tension.

My X ADV has to have 40-50mm on the Center stand(as per owners manual), and because of the very long swing arm, the chain hits it, before you get to 50mm, so needs a bit of guess work.

I wanted to tell the dealers helpful staff member, about the CR owners manual spec, but since he had taken the time to come outside, and look, and then to try and demonstrate it to me, i thought it would be a bit ignorant if that's the right word, to tell him it sounds wrong, since id asked for the advise first.

I also have the chain monkey, and i will use it more often, as working on the side stand with a ruler is not great, although someone earlier had used a small hammer to reach down, while sat on the bike, and ive used that successfully on both my X adv, and Crossrunner last night, thanks.

thanks again folks.
Gary

Offline AndrewP

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
  • City / Town: London
Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 11:33:10 AM
Kinda late to the party on this.

On the side stand, the chain has a 3-4cm slack. 2 up on the bike it's got almost 0 slack.

I dont normally ride at 40mph, since most roads in London are on a 20/30mph limit, but I was cruising on the A40 yesterday and cruising at 40mph, the amount of vibrations I got from the chain were alarming to say the least. Adjusted the rear suspension to the highest setting and that made no difference, which makes me think the reseller tried to work around the setup of the bike before I got it from them, on the cheap.

My 2p
And the Lord said unto John, “Come forth and you will receive eternal life.”
But John came in fifth - and won a toaster.

Offline garyten

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: belfast
Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 01:06:41 PM
*Originally Posted by AndrewP [+]
Kinda late to the party on this.

On the side stand, the chain has a 3-4cm slack. 2 up on the bike it's got almost 0 slack.

I dont normally ride at 40mph, since most roads in London are on a 20/30mph limit, but I was cruising on the A40 yesterday and cruising at 40mph, the amount of vibrations I got from the chain were alarming to say the least. Adjusted the rear suspension to the highest setting and that made no difference, which makes me think the reseller tried to work around the setup of the bike before I got it from them, on the cheap.

My 2p

This was pretty much the same situation i had at the beginning of this, a drone/ whine noise at 40mph, with some vibration at the foot-pegs.

All i done was loosen the chain tension very slightly, so i could feel a little slack( by reaching down) while sat on the bike, and its a lot better now.

Maybe run the chain slack more towards the 4cm end of the range, and it maybe the little extra it needs, while sat on the seat.

Also check for tight spots on the chain, as this would be the best position to check from, while sat on the seat.

I must admit, its the first bike that i have owned that seems noisily sensitive, to a chain being tight.

I hope that helps.

* Recent Topics

topic HELP ! Luggage kit info.
[Accessories and Products]
GeoffTheChef
September 13, 2019, 08:57:43 PM
topic BEST HANDGUARDS ?
[Accessories and Products]
voodoo
September 12, 2019, 07:00:10 AM
topic Hello from Manchester !
[New Members]