Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2017 Whine noise at 40 mph  (Read 348 times)

Offline garyten

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: belfast
2017 Whine noise at 40 mph
« on: June 23, 2019, 08:50:46 PM »
My 2017 has a whine noise at about 40 mph on a closed throttle, when slowing down, its my first vfr engine, so im not used to the sounds, but when decelerating when i get to about 42mph and down to 38, it has a whining noise, like sound you get from going in reverse in a car.

Its only speed dependent, so doesn't matter what gear, or clutch in, or out, at 40mph it just whines, even on a slight throttle, i can hear it, between 38 to 42 mph.

it doesn't seem appear when accelerating up.

My old Triumph explorer use to "whine" from the tyres, Michelin annake, so i don't know if the OE bridgestone battlewings do that?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:44:08 PM by garyten »

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: 2017 Whine noise at 40 mph
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 06:15:52 AM »
So it's not engine related then. Then it's either brakes or wheels or its an aerodynamic noise. Does it get worse or better under braking? Front or rear brake make any difference? Where does it sound like the noise comes from? Do you have any accessories fitted, especially non-oem ones?
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline garyten

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 01:33:54 PM »
The sound seems like the gearbox output, as when its happening, i feel some vibration through the foot pegs, and the sound appears from around the engine/ gearbox.

Its only got 3300 miles, but had been bought as a used demonstrator, i have only done around 500 miles, but this noise bugs me, and im getting a bit concerned its not normal.

I have it booked in with a dealer on Thursday, to get a second opinion, as i cant find any VFR owners to try it for me, and although i have friend that had a VFR800 in around 2008, he doesn't remember any of these sounds on his.

I will post back on what the dealer thinks.

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 CrossRunner
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »
I get this kind of noise too, but only in first gear. It is more pronounced the higher the speed, although I'd never typically kick it down into first at 40mph. As far as I'm aware, it's perfectly normal.
Current: 2015 Honda VFR800X, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline garyten

• Crossrunner Junior
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 11:56:04 PM »
Ok an Update from the dealer, they say the chain was to tight, apparently im supposed to sit on it, or get someone to sit on it, that's when to measure the slack(30-40mm)

My owners manual says on the side stand

Me, i was doing it on the Main stand,

so, just to prove to me, he got me to sit on it, lean down with my left hand and try the chain, and sure enough, its almost solid.

So its now adjusted by feel, as i sit on it, lean over, any try and guess how much, and get at least some slack as im sitting on it (im 15 stone btw LOL).

So to answer the original post, the NOISE has now greatly reduced.

The 30-40mm on the side stand, still appears to be tight while sat on, but that's maybe what they had intended in the measurement, to get it just tight enough, but not too tight, while sat on , possible explanation maybe?

Some Questions ?
Why is the manual not saying to sit on it ?

Is it not impossible to measure on your own, as your sat on it ?

Is there supposed to be any slack at all, or 30-40mm, while sat on, under normal weight (define normal, ie luggage, passenger etc)

I would be concerned now if the chain is now rounding the the tops of the sprocket teeth, and/or destroying the rubber runner sliders on the swing arm, with that much slack at mid way point on the swing arm travel.

Any suggestions folks.

Ive had a lot of chain driven bikes in 36 years, and always used the owners manual spec, so either all my bikes chains have been a bit to tight, or someone is talking Bo****ks.

Could some of you nice people try, while sat on your bike, with your left hand, and feel for any noticeable slack in you chain please, just to satisfy my curiosity now.

or,

3rd opinion maybe?

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 07:00:16 AM »
There is a big difference in chain "slackness" between centrestand, sidestand and sat on, I even had to show/explain it to my dealer (as they over tightened the chain at every service).
I always measure slack whilst sitting on the bike, I use a small hammer(but any device would do) to check the slack.
My first chain/sprockets lasted about 40k km, and I am still on the first slider at 51k.
Stop making sense

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »
I follow the manual. Haven't had to adjust the chain for several thousand miles. I'll try your request when I get home.

Offline AndrewP

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »
That's the first time I've heard of it as well.

I'll check it as soon as I'm home today and I'll report with my findings.
And the Lord said unto John, “Come forth and you will receive eternal life.”
But John came in fifth - and won a toaster.

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 05:11:42 PM »
I adjust mine as per the manual on the side stand and have never had an issue. I bought a chain monkey and now use that to adjust on the side stand. Actually, I mostly use it to check as I've only had to adjust once in 10,000 miles due to having a scott oiler fitted. I would point out that my preload is set to standard when I check as that can make a difference by raising and lowering the rear of the bike.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 06:01:30 PM »
Gary

Sat on the bike, there is minimal movement in the chain, it's quite tight. On the sidestand, there's the normal amount of slack, so it definitely tightens up when you put all the weight through both front & rear suspension.

HTH.

recent
recent