Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Crossrunner for 2020 ?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Crossrunner for 2020 ?
Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 01:19:25 PM
I refill the Cr at 205 miles, usually have 5-15 remaining from a 20.8 litre tank.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline Paul13

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Domfront Normand
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 05:56:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
I refill the Cr at 205 miles, usually have 5-15 remaining from a 20.8 litre tank.

That is a decent range. Only been out twice on the CR 220 kilometres. Lovely twisty loop from Domfront.

Last Sunday a trip to Normandy 2 up 150 kilometres.

Hopefully tomorrow another 2 up trip to Granville on the west coast of Normandy.

Really like the bike. Not overly impressed with the front bake at the moment. Feels like a substance is on the discs or pads.  I could have been spoilt by using my Beta Enduro bike. Front brake is awesome!

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 06:51:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul13 [+]
That is a decent range. Only been out twice on the CR 220 kilometres. Lovely twisty loop from Domfront.

Last Sunday a trip to Normandy 2 up 150 kilometres.

Hopefully tomorrow another 2 up trip to Granville on the west coast of Normandy.

Really like the bike. Not overly impressed with the front bake at the moment. Feels like a substance is on the discs or pads.  I could have been spoilt by using my Beta Enduro bike. Front brake is awesome!

Front brakes are not brilliant.

Planning to fit braided hoses when I change the pads and overhaul the calipers.

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 12:07:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]

Much better economy from the MkII then.  I have seen more than 200 miles on my MkI, but I would not have wanted to push much further and my tank is slightly bigger at 21.5 litres.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 05:47:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Si Click [+]
Much better economy from the MkII then.  I have seen more than 200 miles on my MkI, but I would not have wanted to push much further and my tank is slightly bigger at 21.5 litres.
Of course it depends on the ride and the rider, but I'm not slow and enjoy the acceleration out of the few remaining roundabouts on my A1 commute.

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 CrossRunner
  • City / Town: London
Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 08:33:00 PM
The two major factors will be the ability of a V4 to meet EU emission legislation and the global market for such a bike.

The current V4 is lagging well behind the competition in terms of fuel efficiency and has been looking dated for some time.  It needs a complete engine revision to regain its position, not just a makeover, and that is a huge R&D investment that would only be justified if Honda could see clear evidence of future sales.  Unfortunately, Honda are seeing the opposite.

I think this is pretty much spot on, sadly.

1000cc VFR would be great, but Honda would probably argue that they tried going down that road with the 1200 and that gave little indication that there was a market for a litre class VFR.
But wasn't there a lot of complaint that is was just too pipe-and-slippers (which I'm utterly certain it really isn't) for the hardcore sports bike crowd? And too sporty for the hardcore tourers, who'd mostly prefer a R1200RT all day long?

Honda could do well with a more sport-oriented 1000cc V4, pulling in all the GP-derived marketing it could muster, but I'm not sure that'd ever translate to softer VFR F and X style mutations though. Sports bikers want hardcore, and the majority of sport-touring riders have gone full ADV in their middle age.

The future doesn't look bright for the V4 sport-touring aficionados. At least not until Ducati do it.  :016:
Current: 2015 Honda VFR800X, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 09:30:44 PM
*Originally Posted by v8guy [+]

But wasn't there a lot of complaint that is was just too pipe-and-slippers (which I'm utterly certain it really isn't) for the hardcore sports bike crowd? And too sporty for the hardcore tourers, who'd mostly prefer a R1200RT all day long?

Honda could do well with a more sport-oriented 1000cc V4, pulling in all the GP-derived marketing it could muster, but I'm not sure that'd ever translate to softer VFR F and X style mutations though. Sports bikers want hardcore, and the majority of sport-touring riders have gone full ADV in their middle age.

The future doesn't look bright for the V4 sport-touring aficionados. At least not until Ducati do it.  :016:

Concur.  Sadly if Honda were to produce a hardcore litre-class V4, then in order to appeal to that young, image-conscious market they would need to develop it afresh with no VFR DNA and no association to the VFR brand.  Therefore, no VFR spin offs.

I also think you are right about the ADV and street ADV market.  If the VFR is to survive I think it is through the Crossrunner concept, but it needs to be a much more modern lump with all the electronics that modern buyers expect.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Newbs1ok

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 07:04:33 PM
I think that the CR wasn't designed or marketed for a specific genre of motorcycle which I think was a big mistake from Honda

I have been running a 2000 BMW R850GS for a few years and do approx 8k touring miles on it

When I decided to purchase a more modern bike to accompany the GS in the garage and to make touring a little easier as I am getting older the CR initially never entered my mind.

I weighed up the pros n cons of all the alternatives newer GSs , Tigers, et all but none of them floated my boat

Then earlier in the year whilst touring down the Loire a CR pulled into the a petrol station that I was refilling at, I looked at it and thought Hmm that might work

I came home did some research and as they say the rest is history

I still don't know what genre the bike fits but after adding a few accesories and doing 4K touring  miles in 6 weeks it's a keeper

( I do miss the shaft drive , tele lever front end and engine braking but I am lucky to still have the GS , mind you it's like going back in time when I take it out )

Keep safe

Offline GeoffTheChef

• Crossrunner Junior
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 07:51:12 PM
Info from Honda dealer today... 2020 will see new V4 but will be a FIREBLADE sports bike, also new Africa Twin will be 1100cc.

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX
Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 07:24:36 PM
I thought they were developing a new litre class v4? Maybe a 1000v4 Fireblade Touring on the horizon?
Anyway, I can't see another 1100cc Adventure bike doing so well these days. The best imo would be a WR450f or 530exc type, 130kph @ 6000rpm, top end rebuild hopefully never, oil change every 2500k not 10 hours, 300k tank range, comfy seat, 145kg wet. Maybe call it a Extreme Adventure? Until then I'll ride a bike for either on road or off road. The 800x handles what gravel I do when traveling no problem.
Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:34:26 PM by Haddo

* Recent Topics

topic HELP ! Luggage kit info.
[Accessories and Products]
GeoffTheChef
September 13, 2019, 08:57:43 PM
topic BEST HANDGUARDS ?
[Accessories and Products]
voodoo
September 12, 2019, 07:00:10 AM
topic Hello from Manchester !
[New Members]