Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Switched Live  (Read 445 times)

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Switched Live
on: October 31, 2019, 10:18:23 AM
Thought I'd put this up in a more formal post:

I need a switched live to attach my Givi LED spots to so they come on with the ignition (there is an On/Off switch included with the lights but I tend to leave it in the On position). I'm mounting them on the Givi crash bars so they will be alongside the side fairings so a switched live source under there would be ideal.

I'm not very good with electrickery, so if anyone has a solution, please let me know. Pics would be great, including any advice on how best to splice into existing wiring without risking damaging it.

Cheers.  :031:
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
Re: Switched Live
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:40:54 PM
The connector for front foglights is under the left side fairing high up. It has 3 wires going into the connector, Green, Blue and Black with a yellow trace. Green is earth, Black with yellow trace is an ignition fed live and blue goes off to the foglight bulb in the dash. This feed is protected by a 10 amp fuse in the left fuse box. No photos I'm afraid. I always think the best way to splice into existing wires is to bare back the insulation and solder in, the re-insulate. By far the best way to connect however is to purchase the correct connector from www.kojaycat.co.uk. less mess and easy to remove later if you need to.
Have fun. :028:

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:12:48 AM
*Originally Posted by Bruggen [+]
The connector for front foglights is under the left side fairing high up. It has 3 wires going into the connector, Green, Blue and Black with a yellow trace. Green is earth, Black with yellow trace is an ignition fed live and blue goes off to the foglight bulb in the dash. This feed is protected by a 10 amp fuse in the left fuse box. No photos I'm afraid. I always think the best way to splice into existing wires is to bare back the insulation and solder in, the re-insulate. By far the best way to connect however is to purchase the correct connector from www.kojaycat.co.uk. less mess and easy to remove later if you need to.

Cheers m8.  :028:

I think that's the one I tapped into on my previous Cr, but I couldn't remember.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 07:13:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Bruggen [+]

M8, can you confirm which is the correct connector for the fog lamp from the website you linked to please?

Saves me taking the fairing off twice and having to wait whilst they arrive.

Cheers.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 02:34:34 PM
Struggling to find the connector you mentioned Bruggen, unless it is the one I'm pointing to in the 2 photos. Trouble is, this only has 2 wires going in to it.

Here is a pic of further up the lhs, but I still can't find an open connector there.

Any thoughts?

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 03:02:22 PM
Spoken with techie at local Honda dealer, sounds like the blue connector is not the one. The installation instructions show a black 4-block connector which he says is tucked away very difficult to get at behind the oil pipe where it is held by a rubber grommet (you can see that in photo 2). There's nothing in the black plastic protector sheath so it must be hidden behind the oil cooler somewhere.

Guess I'll have to take another, closer look.

Or I could tap into the front brake light switch???

Offline mbstaneb

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Ptuj
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 07:05:50 PM
I couldn't find the fog connector either when installing my LED lights, so I just tapped in the wires of the 12V DC socket which only has power when bike is turned on.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:40:12 PM
*Originally Posted by mbstaneb [+]
I couldn't find the fog connector either when installing my LED lights, so I just tapped in the wires of the 12V DC socket which only has power when bike is turned on.

Oooooh, good point! I'd forgotten the 2017+ model has this.   :152:

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 10:48:06 PM
The blue connector is for the quickshifter.
Stop making sense

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 06:29:47 AM
*Originally Posted by voodoo [+]
The blue connector is for the quickshifter.

:028:

recent