Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Any Center stand owners out there?  (Read 4017 times)

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
Re: Any Center stand owners out there?
Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 07:26:25 PM
This Dutchy just fell through the basket, I guess your post takes more Englishnessess to understand.  :006:
Stop making sense

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 10:26:48 PM
Apart from a pre-unit Tiger 100 I once owned with a collapsed mainstand my Crossie is the hardest bike to put on its mainstand in over thirty bikes owned. That said, as a skinny weakling pensioner I can do it, using the technique mentioned in the earlier posts, though not with the panniers fitted. Yes, it is largely technique but there is a minimum weight requirement and any attempt to lift will likely pull a back muscle. Oh, and I have to wear my bike boots too.
I believe that the exhaust headers under the crankcase necessitate the mainstand being located further back than is ideal, hence the problem. Like some others I only put it on the mainstand in my garage. At least that way I can lube the chain. By comparison my newly acquired NC750X is a doddle to put on its mainstand and my RE C5 is even easier.

Offline larryblag

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 01:33:08 AM
Thanks all for the encouragement. I feel a bit better knowing I'm not on my own. The RT was a doddle to pull/lift/whatever onto it's stand thanks mainly to the retractable handle just below the pillion seat provided for that exact purpose. I'm not tall enough for the pillion grab handles on the CR to be of use for me. Maybe I'll get the hang of it.

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Loving it all
  • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 10:40:22 AM
Even with my weight and height (6' 4" and 19 stone) I sometimes have difficulty getting the CR on to its centre stand. As Crosspurpose says a lot of it is down to technique. I find the easiest solution is 1. keep the handlebars straight. 2. make sure both feet of the stand are in contact with the ground. 3. always make sure the CR is not facing downhill even on a slight slope. 4. as Crosspurpose says always wear boots as the stand will dig into your foot. 5. put as much of your weight as you can on the stand and try to pull rearwards without turning the handlebars. Sometimes the above procedure works a treat and at other times I have to stand back before trying again.
Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki ST 1100 - Kawasaki Z1100 B2 - Honda NSS.

Offline Paul13

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Domfront Normand
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 03:00:00 AM
Your technique sounds spot on.

I have tried getting the bike on the full stand with thin shoes on in the past.  Not a good idea.  The more weight you have on the stand arm the easier I find it pivots back.

Recently I got delivered a swivel turntable. 
My most awkward manoeuvre was pushing the bike backwards up a slight slope to ride it from my home. On gravel.

The turntable lets me turn the bike around in the garage, then ride it straight out. B

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Loving it all
  • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2020, 08:11:39 AM
A turntable is often an excellent solution where manoeuvring the bike is difficult. The 'Exeter Rider' has an excellent You Tube video on how to make your own turntable.
Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki ST 1100 - Kawasaki Z1100 B2 - Honda NSS.

Offline Paul13

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Domfront Normand
Reply #26 on: November 15, 2020, 10:03:01 AM
I made one many years ago. Using a lazy Susan. 

The last one was from ukgser.com

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/524388-Motorcycle-Turntable

Offline Hanger17

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunnerMY16
  • City / Town: Lisburn
Reply #27 on: November 28, 2020, 10:41:02 AM
i have a lazy susan i used on my ST1300, the centre stand was a little narrower, i still use it on the crossrunner,, just goes on with some overhang. i'll have to make a new one this winter.
it does add a little pressure on the lift, but i sometimes bump the back wheel up a few mm on a board or a rag like here washing it.

if i cared about being judged by a stranger, i'd be religious.

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: London
Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 11:24:40 PM
I have no problem getting my 2013 CR on the stand at home. Smooth slabs and a slight downward slope in the useful direction.
However at work it’s harder, tarmac surface and level ground.
I find it’s just about getting everything to go at the same time. Full weight on the stand and lift up and back with the grab handle. Same technique as the others.
Just a thought, that maybe if you have a rough surface under the stand, it might be making it harder to accomplish.

Offline ramski

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: TDM
  • City / Town: Notts
Reply #29 on: December 13, 2020, 07:24:38 PM
If you need to put it on the centre stand at home just place a bit of timber on the ground (say 20mm thick),
run the back wheel onto it, then put it on the centre stand, it should be real easy,

I had a lowered crosstourer which I used to keep on centre stand on a bike mover, made a bit of a ramp for the back wheel no issue, and that was a heavy bike,

the hardest bike I have ever put on an centre stand was one of the new Africa Twins, now that was difficult,
on the crosstourer forum I believe there's a couple of people snapped tendons putting them on centre stands,
not good

recent