Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Wondering why you see so many Tigers out there?  (Read 429 times)

Offline SXHighwayman

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X 2016
  • City / Town: INGATESTONE
Wondering why you see so many Tigers out there?
on: December 04, 2019, 01:00:58 PM
I see a lot of tiggers on my commute. As yet not one CR - though keep seeing NC750X's which look a bit similar until you're close enough to see the indicators (From behind, there's no mistaking a CR from the front).

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=Triumph+tiger

Contrast the above to:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=Honda+Crossrunner+VFR800x

Online v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 CrossRunner
  • City / Town: London
Re: Wondering why you see so many Tigers out there?
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:20:01 PM
*Originally Posted by SXHighwayman [+]
I see a lot of tiggers on my commute. As yet not one CR - though keep seeing NC750X's which look a bit similar until you're close enough to see the indicators (From behind, there's no mistaking a CR from the front).

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=Triumph+tiger

Contrast the above to:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=Honda+Crossrunner+VFR800x
I think I was well into my third year of ownership before I needed more than one hand to count the number of times I saw a 2015+ Crossrunner out on the roads... I'm not sure I need more than two even now, almost four years in.  :033:
Current: 2015 Honda VFR800X, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline ThunderGuts

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 08:37:29 AM
To be fair, if all I wanted was a commuting tool I'd get a NC750X without hesitation over the Crossrunner; that storage bin is such a fantastic idea for secure and simple luggage capacity (which would be adequate for most commuters) while mega mpg would also be a draw. Fortunately mine is a toy so I don't have to worry about such considerations.

Not sure why Tigers are so popular though . . . fashion perhaps?

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 11:14:41 AM
*Originally Posted by ThunderGuts [+]
To be fair, if all I wanted was a commuting tool I'd get a NC750X without hesitation over the Crossrunner; that storage bin is such a fantastic idea for secure and simple luggage capacity (which would be adequate for most commuters) while mega mpg would also be a draw. Fortunately mine is a toy so I don't have to worry about such considerations.

Not sure why Tigers are so popular though . . . fashion perhaps?

I guess it depends on your commute.

I test rode the NC700 when it first came out, then the 750 when it was updated and whilst they are great bikes, they wouldn't suit my commute as I sit at ~6k rpm when cruising which the NC struggles with. Plus, it doesn't exactly accelerate quickly when yr trying to overtake.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline dave

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: xrunner 2011
  • City / Town: liverpool
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 03:03:41 PM
I had a 2011 tiger and now have a 2011 cr,in my opinion the tiger was a comfier riding position and seemed lighter to move around the garage etc but the build quality is much better than the triumph,both had an engine with plenty of character but the tiger is a more conventional style so may account for the larger amount you see on the road ,both good bikes tho

Online CBM

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 07:24:37 AM
*Originally Posted by dave [+]
I had a 2011 tiger and now have a 2011 cr,in my opinion the tiger was a comfier riding position and seemed lighter to move around the garage etc but the build quality is much better than the triumph,both had an engine with plenty of character but the tiger is a more conventional style so may account for the larger amount you see on the road ,both good bikes tho
I test rode both too (2016) but just could justify the extra £2.5k for the same touring spec as the Dresser, 14k miles and 3yrs later still a happy bunny.
Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:26:50 AM by CBM

Offline SXHighwayman

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X 2016
  • City / Town: INGATESTONE
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:13:50 AM
I think that's what swung it for me in the end - I could either get a low mileage Tiger XrX for about 8.5k+ then I found out about CR's and managed to get a  tidy example with only 2.5k miles for 6.2k. Pretty much a no brainer.

What I didn't realise though was quite how niche CR's are. Lol.

I did look at NC750X's but couldn't sanction only having 47bhp. I like to be able to jump when someone closes a gap I'm passing through or for overtaking etc.

Offline Tone

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Felixstowe
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 01:09:42 PM
Having owned both a 2014 Explorer 1200 (now equivalent to Tiger 1200) and replaced it with a 2017 Tiger 800 XRT, I have to say that the triple engines are exceptionally good, the bikes are comfortable over long distances, they are fast and handle well, but I found both bikes to be top heavy, especially with a full tank and pillion, hence the reason I sold them.

With my 2018 Crossrunner, even though it’s 25kg heavier, weight is so much lower in the frame, even with a full tank and pillion.

Tigers are bloody good, but Triumph need to address the top heavy characteristics.......... Crossrunner has a lot better weight distribution, especially now the years are creeping on me!!

Offline ianrd

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: KELSO
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 06:18:16 PM
+1 in agreement with Tone sold my tiger 1050 for the same reasons, don't know why they can't do the same as Honda did with NC750X

recent