Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: WANTED: VFR800X preferably with full luggage and top box, sub 30,000 miles, UK  (Read 1244 times)

Offline BarneyS

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VT700R
  • City / Town: Cowes
Hi All,

New to forum and the possibility of a Cross Runner.

I am looking for a replacement for an aged NT700V Deauville with 60,000 miles on it.

I ply my trade as a Marine Surveyor up and down the south coast (UK) all your round on two wheels do, even if it doesn't come with it I will need luggage and top box.

Lots for sale on Gum Tree but most over 100 miles from me so some thing within an hour of Southampton or Portsmouth would be appreciated.

All the best!

Barney.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
*Originally Posted by BarneyS [+]
Hi All,

New to forum and the possibility of a Cross Runner.

I am looking for a replacement for an aged NT700V Deauville with 60,000 miles on it.

I ply my trade as a Marine Surveyor up and down the south coast (UK) all your round on two wheels do, even if it doesn't come with it I will need luggage and top box.

Lots for sale on Gum Tree but most over 100 miles from me so some thing within an hour of Southampton or Portsmouth would be appreciated.

All the best!

Barney.

Hi Barney & welcome.

As a Crossrunner all-year commuter, I'd heartily recommend this bike.

A quick search on Bike Trader found 11 within 60 miles of Southampton with <30k miles. Choices of first gen Cr or 2nd gen Cr, a couple with luggage.

Can you increase the distance you are prepared to travel? I went from Bedfordshire to Lancashire to collect mine, and to South Wales to collect my car. Saved far more and got better vehicles by spending a little more time and expense on the journeys. Just a thought.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
I have no use for the matt black panniers from my current 2018 Cr, and the white 45 litre Honda box I used on my 2015 Cr is also sat on the bench in my garage.

They clearly don't match but may be of interest. There are also loads of aftermarket options if the one you choose doesn't have them as standard.
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline BarneyS

• Crossrunner Member
Hi Skids,

Thanks for the quick reply, suggestions and offers really appreciated.

I didn't mention budget in my original post as I thought to screen as offers came up but perhaps I should have mentioned that I was hoping to come in at £5,500 or under.

This may be over optimistic but possible I think (hope) but does knock out most of the more local ones.

I also didn't mention that I am based on the Isle of Wight which means a quick blat to see a bike is not that easy (but possible, I have a ferry season ticket!)

I am not totally phased by travelling for a bike but I am a little ways off that at the moment as I have yet to ride one. However, I believe the local dealer has one coming in which I should be able to get on this week, failing that, I am in Southampton on Wednesday and may go for a look at the one there.

Lets see what transpires......

Cheers, Barney

Offline BarneyS

• Crossrunner Member
Update, have booked to ride one in Southampton on Wednesday so we will know then if it is a fit, in the meantime, what's about?

Cheers.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Enjoy.

Please let us know what you think.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, especially about the model differences, please don't hesitate to ask.
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline BarneyS

• Crossrunner Member
Ok, so.....

I spent am hour or so on cold wet slippery roads today in the company of this: https://www.crescent-motorcycles.uk/used-bikes/asset/2019-honda-vfr800x-crossrunner-800-xa-crossrunner-abs/ and really did enjoy myself a great deal!

The mind is largely made up, I want one.

Now, if I was going to take this one on, it would need a decent sized top box, panniers, fender extender, rear hugger and possibly some other bits and bobs making it weigh in at around £10.5K. I got the finance deal details and they are under consideration but I would rather not saddle myself with the debt if possible.

This however: https://www.21stmoto.co.uk/product/honda-vfr800x-crossrunner-2015/ or something similar if I miss it I could do for cash.

Any thoughts on the differences in spec between the bikes and what to look out for on the white one? (and the price of a 41 l top box)

Or.... is there anyone here getting tempted into an easy sale now that we know I am interested?

All the best,

Barney.

Offline AndrewP

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
  • City / Town: London
The 2015 one has a lot more extras than the 2019. Also, Honda haven't made huge improvements between these two years, so at this point you're trading off mileage over accessories. Not sure if you're the type that enjoys a loud pipe, but without the baffle the sound of the Akrapovic exhaust paired with the V4 is just divine. I sometimes just let go of the throttle to hear that thing pop  :015:

If you do decide to go for the 2019, I'd suggest you invest in the engine bars. I recently dropped the bike at -1mph (trying to park it) and the only reason I'm not crying in the corner at the moment is because of the bars taking most of the impact.

Edit: just saw the price for the 2015. Definitely go for it, although I'd check whether it's done all its maintenance checks before you commit.
Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:35:52 PM by AndrewP
And the Lord said unto John, “Come forth and you will receive eternal life.”
But John came in fifth - and won a toaster.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
There is a big difference in price, but then one is nearly new, the other has done over 30k miles and will be approaching the point where it will need stuff replacing so it depends if yr happy to sort things like that out or pay a dealer to do them.

I just swapped my 44k mile '15 Cr for a nearly new one so you can see where my recommendation might lie but only you know your riding and financial situation.

I have part-financed mine and am overpaying the monthly payments to save on interest and pay it off sooner.
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline BarneyS

• Crossrunner Member
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]

I have part-financed mine and am overpaying the monthly payments to save on interest and pay it off sooner.

Hi Skids,

What did you do on the finance? I was being steered towards going for a CPC on minimum mileage, blowing that out of the water for the duration of the agreement and then chopping it in with the dealer.

I haven't plumbed these murky waters before but it seemed a bit risky/ restrictive to me.

Cheers,

Barney.

recent