17 Oct 21, 16:28 PM

Author Topic: Anyone got a strong opinion on Engine oil for the CR  (Read 3039 times)

Offline SXHighwayman

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X 2016
  • City / Town: INGATESTONE
Anyone got a strong opinion on Engine oil for the CR
on: December 14, 2019, 11:38:32 AM
Hi all,

I'm going for 10W-30 but do I need semi-synth or fully synth?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-oils/castrol-power-1-4t-10w-30-motorcycle-engine-oil-4ltr

seems reasonable but the fully synth is about £60. Given its not actually a sports bike not sure whether its worth going fully synth. What do people who do their own services use?

Also any idea of which Oil filter to use?

Is something like this ok: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-parts-manuals/champion-motorcycle-oil-filter-cof203

Tried checking the manual and its very vague.

Advice appreciated!

Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Re: Anyone got a strong opinion on Engine oil for the CR
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 07:23:42 PM
Easy answer regarding oil filters. Either use "Honda" genuine part (which will be made by Denso or similar) or preferably HiFlo HF204 or HF204RC.

IMHO nobody makes better filters than HiFlo. They outperform on over-pressure, quality control, filtration medium etc. Also one of the very few companies to have TUV approval. The HF204RC is the toughest option and has a handy hex boss welded on for easier removal and torquing. Their website makes interesting reading:-

www.hiflofiltro.com

(Avoid K&N - several reports of leaking and canister failures, especially with the welded hex boss type).

Engine oil choice is a huge subject but luckily our VFR engines are an old design and tolerant to different brands etc. Personally I always use fully synthetic, either Motul 300V 10W/40 or Shell 4T AX7 10W/30.

Having said that, I have just changed to another impressively specified oil - Rock Oil XRP Synthesis 5W/30 (Jaso MAS). It seems to be a blend of synthetic esters and polyalphaolefin. All good so far. My bike still goes like stink, silky gearshifts, quiet from cold or hot starts. I'll keep you posted.
Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 07:42:49 PM
In my book there is 2 kinds of oil: good oil and expensive oil......

And scimitar is right about the K&N oilfilters!
Stop making sense

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 07:09:04 AM
As long as the oil is of the correct specification, then it's up to you.

By all means spend double the money if you wish, but I've used the Castrol Power 1 like you linked to for over 1/4 million miles on all my Hondas with no known detrimental effect (it's also cheaper if you obtain a Halfords Trade Card  :016:).

As for filters, I don't know enough to spout anything knowledgeable. I've used Champion before, OEM and some others, again no known detrimental effect.

98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 11:54:04 AM
+1 for Hiflo filters, they have great reviews and are just over a fiver on EBay.

The manual for my Mk1 states API SG or higher, so in line with that I also have been buying engine oil from Halfords, but have been using their own brand semi-synth which is manufactured by Comma and meets the same API SL standards as Castrol Power 1, but with a Trade Card is only £23 for 5 liters.  I have ridden about 50,000 miles on this oil and never had an issue, or as far as I can tell burnt any.

However, I would be interested in swapping to the more modern API SN rating.  Anyone use something that meets that?
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline SXHighwayman

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X 2016
  • City / Town: INGATESTONE
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 12:41:59 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies - I was out on the road before the helpful filter advice came in - I ended up buying a Honda OEM from my dealer in Romford. Was more expensive at £13, but at least I knew its was the right one. Next time will go with the Hiflo.

The official part number is: 15410-MCJ-505. Which is indeed cloned by the HiFlo HF204 variants.

I also ended up going with the Castrol Power 1 10W 30 Fully Synthetic - mostly because Halfords had it on at nearly the same price as the Semi-synth - £41 instead of £39 for 4 litres lol.

As Halfords and the Honda dealer were in different directions I ended up getting the oil first then picking up the filter. The dealers were nice enough to chat about oil as they had genuine Honda 10W 30 in stock - which they admitted is pricey stuff at £60 for 4L. They said they only had it in (1 bottle) in case someone comes in demanding Honda oil. They stated that they use Putoline for all their servicing which runs around £40 (ish) for 4L. The mechanic also said that as our engines have been around for quite a while now its quite acceptable to run 10W 40 in the VFR engines (As this used to be specified by Honda and its only in the last 3-4 years its changed).

Finally, I did my first ever oil and filter change - most mess was avoided and I don't appear to have any leaks (At least not so far).

I did discover that there's really not a lot of space to get a the filter but fortunately I'd bought one of those metal strap filter removal tools which was a godsend.

Thanks for the advice all!

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 10:40:32 AM
*Originally Posted by SXHighwayman [+]
I also ended up going with the Castrol Power 1 10W 30 Fully Synthetic - mostly because Halfords had it on at nearly the same price as the Semi-synth - £41 instead of £39 for 4 litres lol.

The mechanic also said that as our engines have been around for quite a while now its quite acceptable to run 10W 40 in the VFR engines (As this used to be specified by Honda and its only in the last 3-4 years its changed).

Well done.  Oil filters on bikes can be difficult to get off.  I have tried various tools over the years, often resorting to stabbing it with a screwdriver.  The best IMHO is the metal strap kind that tightens with a screw at the end of the handle - From the ease with which you did it you seem to have picked the right tool straight away.  :047:  The worst by a country mile is the chain type.

Doing your own servicing saves so much money compared to a dealer that a few pounds are neither here nor there, but for the record the Halfords brand contains 5 litres not 4, so overall is about 25% cheaper than the Castrol and is made to the same spec by a reputable company, Comma who are owned and operated by Esso - you didn't think I would put it in my bike without doing some research first did you?  :002:

Whilst 10w40 is probably not going to be an issue, I disagree with your mechanic about Honda specifying 10w40 on earlier bikes.  I have a 2011 Mk1 model and this is the specification verbatim:

Honda 4-stroke motorcycle oil
API Service Classification SG or higher,
excluding oils marked as
“Energy Conserving,”
SAE 10W-30, JASO T 903 standard MA
Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:44:03 AM by Si Click
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 02:47:05 PM
*Originally Posted by Si Click [+]
Well done.  Oil filters on bikes can be difficult to get off.  I have tried various tools over the years, often resorting to stabbing it with a screwdriver.  The best IMHO is the metal strap kind that tightens with a screw at the end of the handle - From the ease with which you did it you seem to have picked the right tool straight away.  :047:  The worst by a country mile is the chain type.

A 14mm (I think) socket on a short extension onto a filter remover placed over the filter worked for me recently, but there are lots of ways to skin a cat.

Definitely saves money doing it yourself but if you intend to sell the bike, I'd recommend keeping receipts and photos of the work done with a record so you can at least assure the purchaser that it has actually been serviced. Mine goes out of warranty early next year so I shall be doing the majority of it myself in future.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 07:13:30 PM
I bought a 15010-MCE H51 from Honda which is a genuine oil filter with oil filter removal tool which you can use as many times as you like. This allows me to remove and fit my oil filter easily and when fitting the new one I can do it up to the correct torque as the tool has a built in nut that I can put a socket on. Only a couple of quid extra. Here's the url.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/thumbs/h/motog/76280/IMGE/930_930/OIL-FILTER--OIL-PAN--OIL-PUMP-Honda-MOTO-800-CROSSRUNNER-2015-VFR800XF-E_14.jpg

Offline matt28

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Kent
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 08:59:16 AM
Bought Motul 7100 10W/30 fully synthetic for my CR, Honda used same one at first service.
Approx £45 for 5 liters.

recent