Recent Gallery Images

From Turkiye

Views: 106
Posted by: forallende
in: Members Albums

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CONTINENTAL TYRES  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
CONTINENTAL TYRES
« on: February 18, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »
I have just watched a Nick sanders DVD of his ride from Canada down to South America and back. He always seems to use Continental tyres so I can only assume that he gets good mileage from them. Back in my BMW riding days in the 70s they came with either Metzeler or Continental tyres and people would always try to get them with Metzeler due to the poor quality of Continentals at the time. I'm sure that they must be much improved by now.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of modern Continentals and if so how they rate them
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Shaunomercy

Re: CONTINENTAL TYRES
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
I had road attack 2s on the vfr800 vtec.  They were brilliant.  Warmed up fast.  very communicative.  The traction skin they have is brilliant.  Its true what they say when they say you can go to maximum lean from the first metre.
They feel in normal use like you are riding on super grip road surface.  When it doesnt feel like that the roads getting slick.  They are brilliant and in the motorrad tests they won best outright sport touring tire for all its handling abilities against michelin pilot road 2 and bridgestone 023s etc.
They had done 4000 mile when I sold the viffer and you could still read continental in the tread.

I think michelin have moved the game on with the road 3 now but having had the contis on a viffer, and the cr being the same bike, I wouldnt hesitate to fit em again.

The tread depth of the contis is far deeper than the michelin too.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/motorcycle/themes/motorcycletires/sport_touring/road_attack2/contiroadattack2_en.html

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=109379

Thats my thread and review.

http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/default.asp?spid=28#03

They were considerably cheaper than the pilot road 2 as well.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:54:18 PM by Shaunomercy »

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
Thanks for that. What were they like in the wet?
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Shaunomercy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »
Never had a problem.  I really liked them.  I was reading that the conti trail attacks have a good following too.

Stumbled on this...

http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/viewmorenews.asp?id=45

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »
Paul, which ones would you pun on the CR, the RA2s or the PR3s? Personally I don't like over-advertised products, and while I'm sure the PR3s are excellent tyres, I fear that some of their success may be attributed to this.

I kind of lost my confidence on the CR's tyres in the cold and wet after sliding quite a few times. It may be my riding style but would definitely like to try a different tyre rather soon.

I also think the RA2s pattern looks :062:

Shaunomercy

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
Yes without hesitation.  When I bought the RA2s, They were a massive 60 quid cheaper than the pilot road 2.  Also the motorrad tests swung it in that Ive gone on their results in the past and been very happy.

In that particular test, The michelin bettered the RA2 for out right grip, wet and dry.  But over the entire run of tests, the RA2 won because its sum of its abilities were better.  Things like being able to hold the bike at a banked angle, riding with a pillion,  to the bike standing up in a corner when braking.  Also they commented that the point in which the tires broke traction and the fact the michelin didnt let you know it was going to let go...where as the conti let you know it was getting to its point and started to slide.

The road attacks have a very different profile to the michelin.  Think of a pirelli diablo corsa profile or an arrow pointing downwards.  As you lean with the conti, you have something like 20% more rubber in contact with the road than the michelin.

The conti made the viffer change direction like a super sports bike.  I loved how agile it mage the bike.

Also cost difference...  Yes id happily buy the RA2 again.  Also in the states the original RA has a big following on the vfrd forum.

The also have a good rep on the uk vfr forum...

Shaunomercy

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:13:45 AM »

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
CONTINENTAL TYRES
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
Cheers Paul, I'll have a look but I'm almost sold on the RAs. Hope you're not working for Continental, as you sure know how to write a great review :P

Shaunomercy

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
Found the motorrad test.....  Download link at bottom.  I converted to a text doc for the site...  Not brilliant..

But will email it anyone who pms me their email.  Andy check your mail mate  :001: :001: :001:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:56:21 AM by Shaunomercy »

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »
Thanks Paul! I've read through it and the Michelins look pretty good on that test. They do mention at the end that the Conti's overall set of features are better but couldn't understand where they drew that conclusion since the dry test results were missing. I'm only assuming that they must perform better on the road in the dry than the Michelins?

Download link I've found on another forum: cra2_test_report_contidrom_en.pdf