Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Lower radiator guard  (Read 366 times)

Offline JasonH

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Brighton
Lower radiator guard
on: March 26, 2020, 05:09:05 PM
Hi,

Just wondering, as following some good advice from forum members here, I’ve added a guard for both the upper coolant radiator and the oil cooler. As well as being a safeguard against stones and debris damaging  a radiator, they also improve the looks (IMO).

The lower radiator has a plastic guard fitted as standard. I would like to upgrade this if possible with a stronger metal version. What are people’s thoughts on the sturdiness of the existing guard? The aftermarket guards I have seen for the lower radiator have larger holes and claim improved air flow as a consequence, but am I defeating the purpose of a stronger guard overall with it having larger airflow holes? Should I stick with the standard plastic guard?

It’s surprising the amount of grit and dirt that get thrown up at the lower radiator despite a fender extender. Smaller airflow holes are more likely to block up, though regular cleaning should prevent this. Larger airflow holes should help with cooling and less likely to block up, but will allow more dirt through to the radiator.

I’m not sure if it’s allowed for me to link to the aftermarket lower radiator grill so if it’s ok to do so, Please let me know and I’ll post the link.

Many thanks in advance for your thought and advice.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Lower radiator guard
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 05:34:03 PM
*Originally Posted by JasonH [+]
Hi,

Just wondering, as following some good advice from forum members here, I’ve added a guard for both the upper coolant radiator and the oil cooler. As well as being a safeguard against stones and debris damaging  a radiator, they also improve the looks (IMO).

The lower radiator has a plastic guard fitted as standard. I would like to upgrade this if possible with a stronger metal version. What are people’s thoughts on the sturdiness of the existing guard? The aftermarket guards I have seen for the lower radiator have larger holes and claim improved air flow as a consequence, but am I defeating the purpose of a stronger guard overall with it having larger airflow holes? Should I stick with the standard plastic guard?

It’s surprising the amount of grit and dirt that get thrown up at the lower radiator despite a fender extender. Smaller airflow holes are more likely to block up, though regular cleaning should prevent this. Larger airflow holes should help with cooling and less likely to block up, but will allow more dirt through to the radiator.

I’m not sure if it’s allowed for me to link to the aftermarket lower radiator grill so if it’s ok to do so, Please let me know and I’ll post the link.

Many thanks in advance for your thought and advice.

Done over 60k miles between my 2 Cr's and never had an issue.

Doesn't mean you wont, but it wouldn't be at the top of my to do list.

YMMV.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 06:16:44 PM
Same here, albeit 60k kilometers instead of miles.
Stop making sense

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:11:18 AM
No drama with the stock guard on the xrunner alloy guards go on the enduro bikes because of sticks & branches.
 :031:

recent