Author Recommendation / consensus on best crash protection engine bars / protection  (Read 2688 times)

• Offline JasonH

• Crossrunner Junior  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline JasonH

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR800X
    • City / Town: Brighton
    Recommendation / consensus on best crash protection engine bars / protection
    on: May 15, 2020, 10:59:15 am
    May 15, 2020, 10:59:15 am
    Hi,

As per the title, I am considering fitting some physical engine and bodywork crash protection for the Crossrunner.

Wondering if there is a general consensus of which are the best crash bars and other measures to take, to minimise damage from either a tip over at standstill and at low speed? Are Honda accessories the way to go? What are the pros and cons? As I am starting with a blank canvas what should I prioritise? What would be the complete belt and braces approach and which measures work best or well together?

Reading various members posts and elsewhere online etc and it seems somewhat inevitable that at some point a tip over will likely happen. I read of tip overs happening when being over cautious so you really can’t win on this. Misplaced footing, rolling off the side stand etc, blown over by wind or pushed over by miscreants. A myriad of causes. Getting my bike to the road is a 20 metre or so push with a chicane of railings to negotiate which is where I’m risking a tip over. One slip or trip might be all it takes.

A common theme is that even a minor spill can bring about a somewhat costly repair bill, with an oem clutch lever
    costing approximately £40. I am considering shorty brake and clutch levers, but there doesn’t seem to be much, if any choice for the later model Crossrunner. Anyone know different?

I’d like to fit the proper heavy duty barkbuster hand guards, but these aren’t available for the Crossrunner. I read some members have managed to fit these, but the details seem a little unclear, at least to me. Anyone have success fitting barkbusters other than the universal cloth ones that are more weather protection than bike protection on an 2018 model?

So how best to balance level of protection versus risk and cost of damage?

What are members experiences on damages occurring from a tip over from standstill both with and without protection measures? Is the Crossrunner generally sturdy enough to handle and shrug off the occasional drop without major damage or consequence?

Thanks in advance for any replies. Really appreciate the good advice forum members have given in the past.

Thanks,
    Jason

• Offline Ellis

• Crossrunner Junior  ‐    10

Offline Ellis

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Bike: Rc79 crossrunner
    • City / Town: London
    Re: Recommendation / consensus on best crash protection engine bars / protection
    Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:02:02 pm
    May 15, 2020, 02:02:02 pm
    Hi Jason
    My CR was knocked of the side stand over to the right while parked the steering lock was on with the left hand grip nearest the tank.
    The right Hand bar end Saved the bike and took the majority of the force.
    The foot peg snapped and the clutch cover received a graze along with the steel belly pan. There was no fairing or tank damage the wide handle bars saved the bodywork.
    First thing I would do is buy some cheap bar ends from Oxford products the slim silver ones are the best match and bag your originals they are £50 each yes £50.
    I also bought  Givi wrap around bars in black they look far better than the Honda ones. However the fixing kit is not clever, the large bolts that needed to be replaced I bought them from race bolt they look great and they go in like there not stripping the thread out. The smaller stuff I just replaced them with stainless.
    I would also recommend fitting a centre stand if you don’t have one far more sturdy than the side stand. To fit a side stand you’ll need a bench or you’ll struggle on the floor as the exhaust has to be dropped down to get the left handed bolt in place. If you want some decent Folding levers there are lots available on the net from China the quality is fantastic and there cheap but I’m not sure if I would deal with The Chinese again. Oxford also do some nice hand guards but there only cosmetic.
    Hope this helps.

• Online Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1661

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Re: Recommendation / consensus on best crash protection engine bars / protection
    Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 04:14:18 pm
    May 15, 2020, 04:14:18 pm
    Jason

I don't think you'll necessarily find a consensus on a bike site, but you will certainly find opinions!  :008:

Mine is: Givi crash bars.

Fitted a set to my 15 Crossie and have a set on my current 18 Crossie. I didn't find any issues fitting it, unlike some and they are very sturdy. Albeit, yours is the first model Crossie, I think they'll likely still be very good. My 15 had a 0mph drop on the drive and apart from a couple of scratches on the Givi's, there was no damage at all. They also provide a good mount for auxiliary LED lamps which in my experience have massively aided conspicuity.

Good luck with the bike, pics when you can!  :028:
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

• Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    357

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
    Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 06:14:05 pm
    May 15, 2020, 06:14:05 pm
    I dropped my CR on the drive whilst throwing a leg over it. It was on the side stand and must have moved forward a bit. I took most of the weight, tearing a bicep muscle in the effort, so the bike did not hit the ground hard. The only damage was very slight marks on the Givi hand guard and on the mirror end. Having been bitten once I now hold the front brake on whilst mounting the steed. Even at 6’ 4” with a 32” inside leg I find it extremely difficult to jerk the bike off the centre stand whilst seated. Sorry, I’ve gone off on a tangent somewhat. Perhaps my observation on holding on the front b rake may help.   :006:
    Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda CB500.

• Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    99

Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: VFR800X
    • City / Town: Pulborough
    Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 12:40:04 pm
    May 19, 2020, 12:40:04 pm
    Like Corringdon, I am very wary of the side stand. I think it’s too short and compromised but probably Honda had no more space left to accommodate a better one. I am only 5’7” and 10 stones, so wrestling with the CR at standstill is frightening for me. I cannot lift mine on to the centre stand either - I’m not physically strong enough. I always leave the bike in first gear when switched off, otherwise it rolls off the side stand at the least provocation.
    I have Givi crash bars and shorter Chinese levers with Givi hand guards. When my bike fell over to the left side everything survived unhurt except the gear lever broke off!
    When parked, you will benefit by having the steering locked in the full right lock position, since this makes it lean slightly more to the left and may inhibit the fickle side stand from toppling over-centre, depending on terrain.
    On the move the CR is a great place to be but not fun when man-handling stationary, especially for an old squirt like me.
    Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

• Online Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1661

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 04:45:25 pm
    May 19, 2020, 04:45:25 pm
    *Originally Posted by Scimitar [+]
    Like Corringdon, I am very wary of the side stand. I think it’s too short and compromised but probably Honda had no more space left to accommodate a better one. I am only 5’7” and 10 stones, so wrestling with the CR at standstill is frightening for me. I cannot lift mine on to the centre stand either - I’m not physically strong enough. I always leave the bike in first gear when switched off, otherwise it rolls off the side stand at the least provocation.
    I have Givi crash bars and shorter Chinese levers with Givi hand guards. When my bike fell over to the left side everything survived unhurt except the gear lever broke off!
    When parked, you will benefit by having the steering locked in the full right lock position, since this makes it lean slightly more to the left and may inhibit the fickle side stand from toppling over-centre, depending on terrain.
    On the move the CR is a great place to be but not fun when man-handling stationary, especially for an old squirt like me.

Interesting. Never had that issue with either of mine.

Not saying it is so though.
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

• Offline Corringdon

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 05:41:01 pm
    May 19, 2020, 05:41:01 pm
    *Originally Posted by Scimitar [+]

I totally agree with Scimitar about the CR side stand, but looking at the side stands on most bikes I marvel that they even manage to take the weight of the machines. At 6ft 4ins and 18 stone I don’t have any problem getting the bike on its centre stand but I have to put it on the side stand to throw a leg over it. Perhaps ‘fossils ‘ like us, Scimitar, would be better off with one of those electric trolleys seen flying along the pavements!!! :183:
    Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda CB500.

• Online voodoo   nl

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    510

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: RC80
    • City / Town: The Hague
    Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 08:22:32 pm
    May 19, 2020, 08:22:32 pm
    Fossils are supposed to be trapped in stones, since you ride a cr you must be juvenile!
    Stop making sense

• Offline Corringdon

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 08:32:39 pm
    May 19, 2020, 08:32:39 pm
    *Originally Posted by voodoo [+]
    Fossils are supposed to be trapped in stones, since you ride a cr you must be juvenile!
    You've just gone to the top of my Christmas card list, Voodoo.

• Online voodoo   nl

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    510

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: RC80
    • City / Town: The Hague
    Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 08:46:28 pm
    May 19, 2020, 08:46:28 pm
     :152:

Just had a quick look at your "new member post"; you are one lucky sod still being able to ride such a fine bike!

Last saturday I sold my fathers last bike, at 79 his biking days are over. It was a sad day. He had been riding since aprox. 1958.
    Stop making sense