Author Tail Tidy / Fender Eliminator?  (Read 1884 times)

• Offline onesimplclik

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline onesimplclik

• Crossrunner Member
    • Topic Author
    • vfrxdownunder
    • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
    • City / Town: Gold Coast
    Tail Tidy / Fender Eliminator?
    on: May 25, 2020, 01:35:57 pm
    May 25, 2020, 01:35:57 pm
    Currently trying to track down a tail tidy for my 2016, & having trouble finding something. Are there any models made for different bikes that will suit the Crossrunner? ro does anyone make a model for the Crossrunner?
    vfrxdownunder on Instagram & Youtube

• Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    360

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
    Re: Tail Tidy / Fender Eliminator?
    Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 04:13:42 pm
    May 25, 2020, 04:13:42 pm
    What's wrong with the original fitment? I think the CR rear end looks damned good compared to some of the abortions you see on modern bikes. :002:
    Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda CB500.

• Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    99

Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: VFR800X
    • City / Town: Pulborough
    Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:17:58 am
    May 26, 2020, 08:17:58 am
    In my opinion, tail tidies are quintessential "style over function"and would be inappropriate on the CR. If you want to ride in all weathers without getting a black line up your back then stick with the original rear mudguard.
    If I could source one, I would opt for a bigger longer front fender, to better protect the radiators and engine. The popular extenders are too short to make much difference. Any ideas ... ?
    Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

• Online Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1663

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 12:01:59 pm
    May 26, 2020, 12:01:59 pm
    *Originally Posted by Scimitar [+]

If I could source one, I would opt for a bigger longer front fender, to better protect the radiators and engine. The popular extenders are too short to make much difference. Any ideas ... ?

Why not email Richard at Powerbronze? I'm sure there's a link in that section. Perhaps he could answer why they don't do a longer one.

I would certainly prefer a longer one than the current one fitted.
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 9000 miles

• Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    99

Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: VFR800X
    • City / Town: Pulborough
    Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 02:24:33 pm
    May 26, 2020, 02:24:33 pm
    Good idea re Powerbronze, although my bike did have an extender fitted when I bought it. Sadly it used to foul and get jammed under the Givi crash bar under heavy braking or big road bumps, so I removed it. No idea of the make.
    If I'm not mistaken, the front fender on the CR1200X is bigger and longer than the 800X. So it might be a possible candidate, together with an extender, but might also risk hitting the Givi bar again.
    Modern front fenders are only fixed via the forks, so I suspect that wind resistance might set up wobbles and oscillations and tear off anything longer.
    Years ago we had lower stays fixing to a point near to the wheel. The mudguards were rigid wrap-round things that worked much better than modern stylised plastic stuff. In the 60's I travelled in all weathers on my AJS and never got mucky, thanks to superb mudguards.
    Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

• Offline Corringdon

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 06:12:53 pm
    May 26, 2020, 06:12:53 pm
    *Originally Posted by Scimitar [+]

Years ago we had lower stays fixing to a point near to the wheel. The mudguards were rigid wrap-round things that worked much better than modern stylised plastic stuff. In the 60's I travelled in all weathers on my AJS and never got mucky, thanks to superb mudguards.

Quite right, Scimitar. Have a look at the pix of my 1962 Norton 650SS. The modern piece of plastic is about as much use as a fridge at the South Pole. :003:
    Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda CB500.

• Online voodoo   nl

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    514

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: RC80
    • City / Town: The Hague
    Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 07:51:46 pm
    May 26, 2020, 07:51:46 pm
    Common guys, don't act your age!  :150:

Bare in mind that the ct has a 19" front wheel, so the fender won't fit the cr.
    Stop making sense

• Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    332

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
    Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 09:38:48 pm
    May 26, 2020, 09:38:48 pm
    If you think about the forces on the rear part of a front fender, it is constantly being pushed rearwards with a pivot point at the top where it is secured.  If you make the rear part longer both the force and the moment arm increase and there is a risk that the constant flexing will cause cracking at the mounting points.

When I fitted a fender extender to my old VFR800 cracks appeared after about 5000 miles and I had to replace the fender after about 10,000 miles.

I suspect that the reason manufacturers seem to make fenders too short is to keep aerodynamic resistance to a level that avoids them getting warranty claims. 
    Best Regards Dave
    2012 Honda Crossrunner
    1955 Triumph TR2
    1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

• Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro  ‐    159

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
    • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: NW London
    Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 06:25:32 am
    May 27, 2020, 06:25:32 am
    *Originally Posted by Si Click [+]
    If you think about the forces on the rear part of a front fender, it is constantly being pushed rearwards with a pivot point at the top where it is secured.  If you make the rear part longer both the force and the moment arm increase and there is a risk that the constant flexing will cause cracking at the mounting points.

When I fitted a fender extender to my old VFR800 cracks appeared after about 5000 miles and I had to replace the fender after about 10,000 miles.

I suspect that the reason manufacturers seem to make fenders too short is to keep aerodynamic resistance to a level that avoids them getting warranty claims.
    Maybe it's just me but personally I think the reason most modern stock front fenders are useless is the exact same as reason stock screens are too. They're made to look right rather than actually do the job they're fitted for. 🤷‍♂️

• Offline Corringdon

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 08:46:55 am
    May 27, 2020, 08:46:55 am
    *Originally Posted by CBM [+]
    Maybe it's just me but personally I think the reason most modern stock front fenders are useless is the exact same as reason stock screens are too. They're made to look right rather than actually do the job they're fitted for. 🤷‍♂️
       :152:

recent