Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Engine Management Light  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Engine Management Light
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 12:43:24 PM
Thanks Larry.

Update: Was chatting with the dealer yesterday and asked about reduced battery voltage possibly causing the ECU fault light to latch on as I had noticed that on my bike, when I press the starter, the motor cranks very slow for a fraction of a second, then picks up as normal. The bike always starts first time despite this. They've checked the battery and the voltage is dropping to 8v then recovering so they are claiming the battery is u/s and Honda have said that as it is now bringing up different fault codes, but to the same effect of latching the ECU fault light on, that it isn't covered under warranty because this is new and only occurred outside warranty.

What are the chances of 2 entirely separate faults causing the same ECU light for the first recorded time on a VFR800X/F? So I'm lodging a complaint with Honda UK.

Luckily, the dealer has said they will supply the battery cheaper than normal and fit for free. I said I would supply and fit one but then they made this offer and I thought I might as well.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline larryblag

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 01:22:26 PM
You might just have discovered your problem there Skids 👍.
Not many bikes would even turn over with the battery so low and whilst cranking it'll drop even further causing the ECU to potentially flag up all sorts of fault codes.
I suspect that your fault might go away as mysteriously as it appeared? Hope so.

My CR was sat with a totally dead battery at the dealers when I went to see it. I think this was due to the tracker which had been fitted. They are notorious for killing batteries. Even modern, lead acid, sealed gel batteries hate being discharged to flat and rarely recover. The dealer said he'd charge it up and check / replace if necessary. When bike was delivered I thumbed the starter and it was really slow to turn over but started almost immediately (it's a Honda 😊👍). I checked the volts and it was very low at 10.8v. I deinstalled the tracker immediately myself and put the bike on the Optimate overnight. First crank in the morning it was better but subsequently went back to as before. Dealer has collected the bike and is replacing the battery now. That's why I kicked off so much over the tyres.

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 06:30:55 PM
Lead acid batteries are not designed to be drained below about 50% charge and the number of times you can cycle them to even that level is limited (500 - 1000 is normal before they are down to about 80% capacity).
 Deep cycle, leisure batteries will deliver more cycles and can take more abuse, but anything more than about 50% drained will start to cause irreversible damage, particularly to a starter battery because their thin plates are more easily damaged by lead erosion as lead sulphates form permanently.

Unless there are receipts showing a recent purchase, any second hand bike will probably need a new battery, and if you know it has been fully discharged at the dealers, I would ask for a replacement as part of the deal.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 10:32:50 AM
When I bought my Crossrunner new last year Honda were offering a free tracker. The salesman advised against because of battery drain. I decided against too because I have always been ok without one and alarms etc seem to cause more trouble than they’re worth.
My Crossrunner sometimes “stumbles” over compression but it always starts anyway. My friend’s VFR800 does the same occasionally. A bit of a quirk as Gad as I know. Just remembered, my new Triumph Sprint GT SE of a few years back did the same, but that was as when hot. Something to do with the starter motor IIRC but, again, occasional only. Hope you get it sorted.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 11:28:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Crosspurpose [+]
When I bought my Crossrunner new last year Honda were offering a free tracker. The salesman advised against because of battery drain. I decided against too because I have always been ok without one and alarms etc seem to cause more trouble than they’re worth.
My Crossrunner sometimes “stumbles” over compression but it always starts anyway. My friend’s VFR800 does the same occasionally. A bit of a quirk as Gad as I know. Just remembered, my new Triumph Sprint GT SE of a few years back did the same, but that was as when hot. Something to do with the starter motor IIRC but, again, occasional only. Hope you get it sorted.

I know what yr saying, but now, with a new battery, it doesn't stumble at all.
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline larryblag

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 08:30:31 AM
@skids
Happy Christmas to you and yours.
I was just thinking about this issue you were having and what a PIA it has been. How's it going since the new battery? No reoccurrence of the ABS fault I hope?

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 08:33:55 AM
Hi m8. No recurrence, but then I've not ridden the bike for nearly 2 weeks as I don't work over Xmas/New Year and the weather was too icy in the run up so she's sat all clean in the garage on the battery tender.
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline larryblag

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 05:56:30 PM
I've been out on mine a couple of times including a short commute. But after I got back yesterday there was the telltale signs of white residue on the tyres - salt. So I've cleaned it well this morning and put it away, also on the battery tender. I think it might stay away for a while as I have the car. Back to work Tues for me, but I think I light cycle it. 👍

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 06:31:45 PM
*Originally Posted by larryblag [+]
I've been out on mine a couple of times including a short commute. But after I got back yesterday there was the telltale signs of white residue on the tyres - salt. So I've cleaned it well this morning and put it away, also on the battery tender. I think it might stay away for a while as I have the car. Back to work Tues for me, but I think I light cycle it. 👍

Do you use ACF-50 and FS365 as well? Highly recommended for British winters.
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline larryblag

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 07:47:12 PM
Sure do (ACF50). Used it for a few years now. I spray it on, wipe it on and brush it on lol. Marvelous stuff. It's also excellent on plastics and keeps them looking fresh. I'm sure it's what's kept my bikes looking good.

recent