Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Ride to Torridon  (Read 843 times)

Offline motoman

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2011VFR800X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Ride to Torridon
on: July 19, 2020, 04:08:18 PM
Here's a small brief of a recent trip to Torridon. Me on my mk1 crossie and a mate on a V strom left Ayr, headed up A82, Loch lomond, Glencoe, Fort William and Invergarry onto A87 past Eilean donan Castle to A890 round Loch Carron and over pass of the cattle to Applecross. We followed coast road up round to shieldaig, Torridon then found a place to camp at inveralligin. My bike was well loaded and felt planted on A roads but hid the weight well on the single track roads, giving confidence on michelin road tyres. I've done NC500 on a VTEC before and no stranger to single track roads this fully loaded crossrunner was a joy to ride in various conditions. Following morning we headed home heading south missing out Applecross loop to Crianlarich then over to Stirling, Glasgow and home to miss out the slow moving roadblock that is loch Lomond side every weekend in summer. Covered 580 miles over 2 days. Looking forward to next one.

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner 800x
  • City / Town: Peterhead
Re: Ride to Torridon
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 07:08:16 PM
Cracking trip motoman. Did part of that one last year. Loch Carron was stunning and going through the tunnel with high revs felt like being in Monaco. Heading across to do a bit more in September and hopefully a couple of nights in Skye.   :028:

Offline ianrd

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: KELSO
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 08:14:29 PM
Hi it's a great trip up around the northwest of Scotland. maybe you could give a wee write up on the tent you were using,looks interesting

Offline motoman

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 10:56:35 PM
*Originally Posted by ianrd [+]
Hi it's a great trip up around the northwest of Scotland. maybe you could give a wee write up on the tent you were using,looks interesting
the tent is a vango galaxy 300.its a 3man but i like plenty space for me and my stuff.it has a big spacious porch you can stand up in as i was getting fed up crawling about in smaller tents.can fit 4 mates on chairs and case of beer easily,maybe more at a push.its height makes it it susceptible in windy conditions but so far its been great.im happy with it.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 07:57:06 AM
There are some outstanding roads in Scotland, particularly the NW. I've had several bike trips up there with some monster rides.

Only trouble is the weather; if yr lucky and you pick the 2 days when the weather is dry and warm, it doesn't get any better!  :008:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline ianrd

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: KELSO
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 08:18:24 AM
Thanks motoman the fact you can stand up in the porch is great getting gear off and on if the weather is not so good.Had a look at the specs not to bulky or heavy plenty of room for gear, :152:

Offline motoman

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 11:19:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
There are some outstanding roads in Scotland, particularly the NW. I've had several bike trips up there with some monster rides.

Only trouble is the weather; if yr lucky and you pick the 2 days when the weather is dry and warm, it doesn't get any better!  :008: l'm lucky where i am as gourock dunoon ferry and erskine bridge are an hour away.both gateways to fab roads.those 2 days happen more frequently when you live here. :152: :150:

* Recent Topics