nordkapp

Views: 152
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst
IMG 2655

Views: 292
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: VFR1200 - Dual Clutch technology  (Read 2264 times)

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
VFR1200 - Dual Clutch technology
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:52:23 PM »
Had the Dual Clutch technology explained to me today while I sat on a VFR1200 DCT demo bike in Marshalls Honda, Peterborough. Previously I had not really bothered to really take in what it meant/how it works but hearing it while on the bike made me think two things...

1)the technology/engineering is quite mindblowing -  Honda's DC system is a really impressive set up which does take bike riding a massive step forward. No clutch, no gear lever but some nice little paddles on the left hand side - would take some getting used to but sounds like it could be great.

2)I really liked the feel of the VFR1200 - although am sure it would not suit after a few 100 miles due to the riding position (too much weight on the bars). If the 1200 Crosstourer proves to be too tall in the seat for me (which I am convinced it will) - then I will be lamenting that Honda could not produce something in between the two - that is to say a VFR1200 with a higher front end and (slightly) higher seat - in other words what they did with the Crossrunner v VFR800 sports tourer.

That would have given me the chance to experience the 1200 V4 engine, shaft drive and maybe even the Dual Clutch. Anyway - I will go back when the Crosstourer is out and ride both bikes - for the sheer experience if nothing else.

You had a VFR1200 Dual Clutch didn't you Rocker - how would you describe it?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:59:19 PM by xrunjoe »
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline Will vZ

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800X/Vulcan S
  • City / Town: Castel
Re: VFR1200 - Dual Clutch technology
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »
I found it a pleasant experience once I got used to it. I used it mainly in sports mode as drive mode changed up too early. What I really liked was using it in manual mode using the paddles on the left bar to change gear.
The only draw back I found with it was not being able to use the clutch when making walking pace maneuvers. I feel that this was one of the reasons for my bike park drop in Wales.
Apparently the DCT used in the new VFR1200 & the Crosstour is an improved version
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Offline shugyosha

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: st annes
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
hi

new on here but have some knowledge / experience of Hondas DCT technology

The cross tourer and 2012 VFR 1200 do both have 2nd generation DCT technology which has new mapping [Q map] which sits between sports and D mode, better fluid dynamics reducing oil capacity by about 40% and a slightly different primary drive configuration.

results being smoother changes and more responsive.