Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hiss key programming  (Read 1239 times)

Offline ianp62

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: RED VFR800X
  • City / Town: Southampton
Hiss key programming
on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:21 PM
Hello

I have just bought a 2018 Crossrunner but it only came with one hiss key and no key tag. The main dealer wants £75 for an uncut key plus up to an hours labour to program the key once I get it cut? Has anyone programmed a key them selves using the diy kits you see on ebay, if so was it straightforward?

Many thanks in advance..

Offline Boogieshoes

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800x
Re: Hiss key programming
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 11:39:44 AM
Ianp,

Hope you got sorted but if you didn't yet....

Probably not a great deal of help, as I haven't used a self program kit.  That said, I can say that I had a lot of problems getting a new key cut as these wavey keys are really tricky which ultimately required Honda to provide a PRE-CUT key that the dealer then programmed to the ECU.

So if you haven't progressed, and my efforts took about a year and a lot of liaison with my dealer then Honda direct who then helped.  The new PRE-CUT key was very very tight fit and not as smooth to operate for some while too but has settled in.   

A fraction out on the cut and it won't work, none of the key cutting places could get a pattern code from the key and manual 'template tracer' cutting using the existing key was an utter failure.

Boogie.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 02:15:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Boogieshoes [+]
Ianp,

Hope you got sorted but if you didn't yet....

Probably not a great deal of help, as I haven't used a self program kit.  That said, I can say that I had a lot of problems getting a new key cut as these wavey keys are really tricky which ultimately required Honda to provide a PRE-CUT key that the dealer then programmed to the ECU.

So if you haven't progressed, and my efforts took about a year and a lot of liaison with my dealer then Honda direct who then helped.  The new PRE-CUT key was very very tight fit and not as smooth to operate for some while too but has settled in.   

A fraction out on the cut and it won't work, none of the key cutting places could get a pattern code from the key and manual 'template tracer' cutting using the existing key was an utter failure.

Boogie.

Interesting as I've had 2 keys cut from blank for the luggage on my 2018 model and they fitted perfectly. No HISS required as they were just for the panniers.

The key cutter I used is based in Letchworth Garden City if anyone wants one cutting. It does help to have the bike/luggage there so they can check it and refine the cut if necessary. I bought the blank keys off ebay.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 06:59:35 PM
A friend of mine had to go through the same procedure as Boogieshoes when one of the keys on his 07 VFR began to stick in the ignition. Probably me being a bit thick, but when I bought my Crossie new last year I had Honda panniers as part of the deal. The dealer must have programmed the bike Hiss keys to fit the locks in the panniers and top box, which all use the bike ignition key. In fact, as per BMWs I’ve owned, all they probably do is set the tumblers in the pannier and top box to suit the key profile, so why have keys cut for these? BMW did it for free when I swapped bikes but kept the luggage.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 08:02:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosspurpose [+]
A friend of mine had to go through the same procedure as Boogieshoes when one of the keys on his 07 VFR began to stick in the ignition. Probably me being a bit thick, but when I bought my Crossie new last year I had Honda panniers as part of the deal. The dealer must have programmed the bike Hiss keys to fit the locks in the panniers and top box, which all use the bike ignition key. In fact, as per BMWs I’ve owned, all they probably do is set the tumblers in the pannier and top box to suit the key profile, so why have keys cut for these? BMW did it for free when I swapped bikes but kept the luggage.

The ignition key fits the supplied luggage as standard, they come from Honda UK that way, they're not done at the dealer AFAIK.

I had separate keys for the panniers cut for a friend of mine who bought my panniers from me.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX

recent