Author Some Musings....  (Read 4709 times)

• Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    69
    • Topic Author

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR800X 2016
    • City / Town: Pendle
    Some Musings....
    on: September 02, 2020, 07:47:50 pm
    September 02, 2020, 07:47:50 pm
    Hi all,

I got home from the dealers with 'arriat, my new to me 16 plate CR and thought I'd share my initial thoughts.

Whoever had the bike in the past had obviously struggled with the seat height as I suspected that the bike was lowered, this was confirmed when looking the bike over at home.

This meant that the side stand was marginal as the bike stood pretty upright on it.
    Also the effort to get the bike on the main stand was monumental :087:

I was convinced on the ride home that the preload on the rear shock must be minimal and the damping felt non-existent, so was shocked to find the damping set at factory spec and preload on the light side of the scale.

So with the preload maxed out and the damping firmed up I will try again but I'm not holding my breath for whilst it may be an improvement for solo use, I have quite specific needs for my bikes as I travel 100% with the Finance Manager :038:, and as this bike needs to fill a touring with luggage requirement I foresee money being spent on shock upgrades at the minimum. I'm not surprised as all my previous bikes over the last ten years have needed suspension upgrades despite being sold as heavy touring machines..... I remember years ago when the Japs brought out their first monoshock bikes the springs used to be hugely oversprung and in many cases often handled better with a passenger, but now it seems they've gone the other way whereas all bikes I've tried lately have been woefully undersprung for two up use.

However this does not take away the fact that this bike has huge potential to meet all our requirements for touring whilst not being a super heavyweight.  The engine I found to have more than enough go and expect low 50's mpg as I am Captain Slow and usually very smooth.   

The seat seems on initial ride to be reasonably flat and I see that there is a way of taking the slope from the seat via messing with the height adjusters and the Finance Manager seems to think that the flat pillion seat will give some scope for sitting comfortably. 

I love the fact that the bike is not festooned with the gadgets and selectable menus of the more expensive brands and that the digital display is nice on the eye without any reflection which has been a problem with some of my previous machines. 

My bike has the Honda Akro can fitted with baffle still in but still manages to really sing once you are in the Vtec zone. :046:

I feel pretty lucky to have found a CR with most of the things that I wanted already fitted (full luggage, fog lights and bars, centre stand, hugger and Akro).  Somebody ticked nearly every option on the list when they ordered this bike.  :152:  If Honda had fitted cruise control it would have been perfect for me.  All that I need to do now is to fit the correct link plates to the rear shock, put the forks back to the correct position and fit some handguards and it's good to go (if we could go anywhere that is)!!! :027:

Sorry to sound a bit negative but it's not the case as the bike is going to be brilliant for us when we can finally get to go touring once again.

Stay safe
    JT

• Online Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1661

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Re: Some Musings....
    Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 08:17:17 pm
    September 02, 2020, 08:17:17 pm
    I think that's a totally reasonable attitude to have to the bike - excellent potential but a few niggles to sort.

Totally agree with the suspension, especially for 2-up riding. It is overly soft and poorly dampened, but it does hold the road quite well.

Even without lowered suspenders, this bike is a beatch to get on the centrestand until you get used to it, but even then.... :006:

The end can makes a significant difference to the engine, esp at low revs, but also stirs the soul when you nail it.  :007:

You'll get no end of opinion on what other farkles to consider, esp from me  :001: :062:

But the main thing is you've got a great bike that will last you for years of much fun!  :031:
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

• Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    82

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: Camberley
    Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 10:41:04 am
    September 03, 2020, 10:41:04 am
    Congrats on your new bike!

Let us know how you get on with the suspension.  For me it's been ideal but I only use the bike one up or with luggage.  Always interested what route people go with the replacement stuff as that may be the way to go for me a few years down the line.

• Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro  ‐    159

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
    • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: NW London
    Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 10:44:57 am
    September 03, 2020, 10:44:57 am
    Great choice Jonny, just one thing, get that baffle gone !!!  :152:

• Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Pro  ‐    113

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Pro
    Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 12:34:43 pm
    September 03, 2020, 12:34:43 pm
    For me the standard setup is fine, but I only ride solo these days and don’t weigh much. Usually the springs on rear shocks are too hard; it’s nice not to have to change anything. For me no modern bike ever is ok from the factory. I usually have to add a fender extender, hugger, rad and or oil cooler guard and main stand just to get the bike properly functional, never mind stuff like exhausts. Buying mine new I had most of the goodies fitted as packs as part of the deal, but I added the Akro can and quickshifter myself later on at much reduced prices (which is one reason I think the CR May be being discontinued). My van was sourced from Germany and doesn’t have a removable baffle, but personally I wouldn’t remove it if it did. They have noise meters around here; one reason I’ve removed the TORS from my Triumph twin. TBH a lot of the noise is lost in the wind anyway and “benefits” others, not me. Enjoy your Crossie; I’m sure you will.

• Offline Jonnyteabag

• Topic Author

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 07:51:10 pm
    September 05, 2020, 07:51:10 pm
    More musings....

When I picked my bike up the dealer had put a new MOT on her and was telling me that they had serviced her too..I presume that meant an oil and filter change but then he was reading the service sheet back to me and said that the workshop had also put a new front tyre on as the MOT showed a badly worn tyre. He also said they had replaced the chain :027: and performed a rear brake strip clean and bleed.
    (the fluid was new upon inspection too)

Mileage shows 6300 and the rear tyre is a Scorpion 1 with good profile but I'd say about two thirds worn, I suspect it's the original :027:

So when I went out side to look over her I noticed that a new Pirelli Scorpion 2 was indeed fitted as was what looked like a new chain too.

So I rode home (about 25mls) and looked over her...pretty mint to my eyes :017:
    and ever since it's rained over here, so she's hiding under a cover until I can get my shed sorted  :012:
    I did notice that the new front tyre was made in China :013:. I did worry that it was cheap fake, so I did some internetting and found that both Pirelli and Metzeler (same company) seem to make their rear tyres in Europe whilst fronts are made in China :087:

Anyway enough for now.

Stay safe folks,

JT :015:

• Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Pro  ‐    113

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Pro
    Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 10:27:15 pm
    September 05, 2020, 10:27:15 pm
    I hope my chain and sprockets last a lot longer than 6,300 miles! I fitted a Scottoiler so I’m expecting over 20,000 miles from mine, but even without that I’d expect a lot more than 6,300 miles....

• Online Skids   gb

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 07:55:35 am
    September 06, 2020, 07:55:35 am
    Perhaps the chain had deteriorated and looked bad rather than worn out, which is highly unlikely after only 6k miles.
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)

• Offline Jonnyteabag

• Topic Author

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 12:15:17 pm
    September 06, 2020, 12:15:17 pm
    That's what I was thinking about the chain maybe some links were seized/stiff  :187:

I know they didn't replace the sprockets as they are discoloured by surface corrosion.

Just replaced the metal pillion pegs for some rubber topped ones and fitted the top box back pad...got to keep the Finance Manger sweet :164:.

Just waiting for the new link plates so I can reset the ride height back to factory spec then were good for a try out on our local roads before I decide which route to go down with suspension upgrades etc.

JT :015:

• Online Skids   gb

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 12:53:42 pm
    September 06, 2020, 12:53:42 pm
    Sounds good.

If yr planning a lot of 2-up riding (+ luggage) I think you'll definitely need to upgrade the suspension, it'll be far too soft.

recent