Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Some Musings....  (Read 1284 times)

Online Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Z900rs VFR800X
  • City / Town: Pendle
Re: Some Musings....
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 02:37:07 PM
Yeah, to be honest I have to budget for stronger suspension on every bike I buy as I travel 100% with the boss.

I reckon I'm very lucky in that my dearest loves being on the back, so I feel it's pretty much that it will need firming up..
I've used Nitron for the last 3 bikes now but I may try someone different this time, we'll have to see what's out there.

I'll keep you posted...

JT :015:

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 04:43:30 PM
Check with your local suspension guru.

I use MCT in Stowmarket (a long way from you, I know). They did my 1200 and my last 800X and both were excellent.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline ripsi

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: none
  • City / Town: TN15
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 11:23:55 AM
Interesting

When you said

*Originally Posted by Jonnyteabag [+]
More musings....

He also said they had replaced the chain :027: and performed a rear brake strip clean and bleed.
(the fluid was new upon inspection too)

It prompted me to voice my concerns also, im new to the CR and have a '17 with 9K on the clock. Ive added Rad guard (modded), Screen deflector, crash bars and handguards, my only concern is the noise from the drive in 6th, sounds "not right" so ive ordered new DID chain and sprockets in the hope this gets rid of this noise, mind, with the Akro baffle out the drive noise goes at higher speeds, cant think why though  :007:

Simon

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 06:12:02 PM
*Originally Posted by ripsi [+]
with the Akro baffle out the drive noise goes at higher speeds, cant think why though  :007:

Simon

You should invest in a quickshifter. The sound of a free end can combined with the ultra-quick shifting at high revs is simply sublime!  :007: :007: :007:
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 04:29:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
You should invest in a quickshifter. The sound of a free end can combined with the ultra-quick shifting at high revs is simply sublime!  :007: :007: :007:
Rather than pretend to be a racer save the money and put it towards a Ron Haslem trackday, his bike, his kit and worst case his problem :152:

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 11:59:12 AM
I thought he’d packed up recently, according to the bike press. Valid point though. I find my Crossie is sensitive to drive chain adjustment. If it’s a tad too tight I get vibration on the overrun. It doesn’t make any particular noise in 6th gear though. It does whine a little in first gear, but a lot of bikes do that.

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 02:54:36 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosspurpose [+]
I thought he’d packed up recently, according to the bike press.
Unfortunately he is so hurry up and treat yourself before it's too late  :001:

Offline Gramps99

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 16 crossrunner
  • City / Town: Worcester
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 11:43:17 AM
To state the obvious the front suspension should have been adjusted to lower the front when lowering plates were fitted. I still have the instructions for my lowering kit if you need a sight of them.

Online Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Z900rs VFR800X
  • City / Town: Pendle
Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 11:47:48 PM
We've covered around 500 miles since owning 'arriet now and all the miles have been done with the rear suspension back to standard spec, and the front end reset to the correct height.
What a difference! The rear is now noticeably stiffer on its stroke..I read somewhere that lowering using the triangular plates softens the stroke but didn't have anything to reference this to until now.
So having done a lot of riding on my local roads I can give a better appraisal of what direction I need to go in in order to get the suspension sorted for our needs..
If I ride like a nun on my usual roads with just the small honda box and the boss on the back the standard stuff will JUST be passable... obviously the preload is wound up to the top and the damping set to almost max..but I've had bikes that were much worse.

The engine feels.... well.....well like a Honda what else :008:
It's a lovely motor, feels very refined and over engineered. I love that the motor is bit of a rev monster which is great for playing out those Joey moments in your head :164:

If I'm honest I expected a bit more torque low down and under the VTEC zone, which was why Honda did the VTEC solution..to get more torque low down :027:

I just need to recalibrate in order to keep the revs up compared to my other bikes which have much more torque and can be ridden very lazily which can be helpful after tiring high mileage days.

Enough for now...

Stay safe folks

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 07:17:19 AM
*Originally Posted by Jonnyteabag [+]
We've covered around 500 miles since owning 'arriet now and all the miles have been done with the rear suspension back to standard spec, and the front end reset to the correct height.
What a difference! The rear is now noticeably stiffer on its stroke..I read somewhere that lowering using the triangular plates softens the stroke but didn't have anything to reference this to until now.
So having done a lot of riding on my local roads I can give a better appraisal of what direction I need to go in in order to get the suspension sorted for our needs..
If I ride like a nun on my usual roads with just the small honda box and the boss on the back the standard stuff will JUST be passable... obviously the preload is wound up to the top and the damping set to almost max..but I've had bikes that were much worse.

The engine feels.... well.....well like a Honda what else :008:
It's a lovely motor, feels very refined and over engineered. I love that the motor is bit of a rev monster which is great for playing out those Joey moments in your head :164:

If I'm honest I expected a bit more torque low down and under the VTEC zone, which was why Honda did the VTEC solution..to get more torque low down :027:

I just need to recalibrate in order to keep the revs up compared to my other bikes which have much more torque and can be ridden very lazily which can be helpful after tiring high mileage days.

Enough for now...

Stay safe folks

Honda claimed the VTEC was developed to give more torque yet failed to deliver. I never understood why they made the claim then clearly failed at it. So unlike Honda. I wonder if it was more about emission regs than anything.

Anyway, you'll soon get used to the torque, it's all relative.  :028:
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

recent