Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Some Musings....  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X 2016
  • City / Town: Pendle
Re: Some Musings....
Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 08:17:09 AM
Yeah I remember reading the road Tests on the Kawa GTR 1400 which had a VVT system in order to spread torque but the journo's all said it lacked torque at the bottom of the rev range :187: :027:
Reading these tests put me right off the engine which should have been a monster of torque...just what's required for a big two up tourer,so I bought my second FJR instead which does have a fantastic torque laden motor..perfect for hauling two people on a fully laden bike over the Alpine passes effortlessly.
I can only agree that Kawa's reason for using VVT was indeed to keep a lid on emissions...I note that this model has been dropped too as it does not meet the latest Euro V rules :112:

JT :015:

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 02:37:59 PM
They dropped the GTR a few years ago; the ZZR is being dropped this year. How a 1400cc bike can be said to lack low down grunt is odd, but I remember tests of the GTR all saying that it is as very much at the sport end of sport tourer. All relative; FJR is better anyway IMHO.

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 08:37:00 AM
*Originally Posted by Crosspurpose [+]
They dropped the GTR a few years ago; the ZZR is being dropped this year. How a 1400cc bike can be said to lack low down grunt is odd, but I remember tests of the GTR all saying that it is as very much at the sport end of sport tourer. All relative; FJR is better anyway IMHO.
I bought a 2yr old FJ1200 and had it as my "daily rider/tourer" for 7yrs and absolutely (apart from servicing the swingarm) loved every one of the 50k miles I did on it too.

Offline larryblag

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 08:33:12 AM
*Originally Posted by ripsi [+]
Interesting

When you said

It prompted me to voice my concerns also, im new to the CR and have a '17 with 9K on the clock. Ive added Rad guard (modded), Screen deflector, crash bars and handguards, my only concern is the noise from the drive in 6th, sounds "not right" so ive ordered new DID chain and sprockets in the hope this gets rid of this noise, mind, with the Akro baffle out the drive noise goes at higher speeds, cant think why though  :007:

Simon

I'm new to the CR and due to the current "lock down" rules not been out much (Lidl with both panniers attached and return the long way round). But I have noticed the increased noise in 6th. It's not a "whine", more of a "hiss" and my ears tell me it's final drive related. Having looked up the gear ratios, as suspected top gear is overdriven at 0.965 (28:29) which would tend to cause this. Now others have noted it too - I'll stop worrying 🙄😊

Offline ripsi

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: none
  • City / Town: TN15
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2020, 11:49:43 AM
Interesting. I've been thinking I might have brought a lemon, kept hearing how strong the motor is and then to hear the noise in 6th was making me think maybe I should offload this and get something else...... overall generally happy but not ecstatic yet..... maybe I need to do more miles.......