Author Centrestand dropout  (Read 2150 times)

• Offline pstjm

• Crossrunner Junior  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline pstjm

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR800X & VFR750
    • City / Town: St Albans
    Centrestand dropout
    on: September 24, 2020, 11:46:58 pm
    September 24, 2020, 11:46:58 pm
    Hi Crossrunners, the right hand centre stand bolt and associated washers have somehow disappeared somewhere along the A47. The local dealer says I can’t buy the parts separately as the centre stand is an accessory- therefore I have to buy the whole thing at a ridiculous price. So two questions for the floor; have any of you had the same problem and successfully found a replacement bolt? (It has a left hand thread) Or does anyone have a complete centre stand that they want to sell me? Thanks! 

• Offline Lars

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    65

Offline Lars

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: RC 80 - 2015
    Re: Centrestand dropout
    Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 04:51:11 am
    September 25, 2020, 04:51:11 am
    Hello Pstjm,

I had that exact problem twice already, and I have good and bad news for you.

good first:

you dont have to buy the whole assembly. The parts are available seperately. First time it happened to me I got the same answer form my dealer, bit the bullet and got the whole assembly, I now have a complete centrestand lying around but, guess which bolt is missing...

Second time around I did a bit of research and found:

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/800-MOTO/CROSSRUNNER/2020/VFR800XK/Frame/STAND/101157/F_31/2/40709

please note that the model says 2020, thats ok, the parts are the exact same for any model starting 2015 onwards.

the parts you need are 12, 21 ,19, 20, 4 ( 4 is a little collar that fits into the hole of the centrestand, that one for some reason never got lost in my case everyting else was gone )

12 is the actual bolt with the LEFThanded thread.

the bad news:

fitting it back on sounds easy right ? - nope -

the bolt is just a tad bit too long so it collides with parts of the exhaust, you cant line it up with the hole in the frame because of the exhaust blocking it, it comes in at an angle.
    the solutions for that are all bad-ish.
    you can shorten the bolt by about 4-5 mm, that gives it just enough clearance from the exhaust to line up and fit nicely. drawback is, by doing that you have less thread going into the actual frame which might result in another loss of the bolt. ( maybe generous amounts of loctite can help you out here )

second option, to do it properly you have to unmount almost the entire exhaust from front to centre, everything just to move it 5 mm out of the way for the bolt.

there are people who claim that you dont have to unmount it completely you can losen it and push it away. I tried that but honestly I stopped because I really did not want to use excessive force and damage the exhaust ( feel free to browse the link and have a look at how much that would be... )
    I am not a mechanic and maybe someone else has a special trick up their sleeve to work around that problem.

I hope that helps

Lars

Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:20:27 am by Lars

• Offline pstjm

• Topic Author

Offline pstjm

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 07:13:11 am
    September 25, 2020, 07:13:11 am
    Wow - that’s hugely helpful, Lars. Thanks so much. The bike is going in for its last dealer service today, so I’ll show this to them and see if they can order the parts.
    Thanks again. Crossrunners are the best. Except for the centre stands!  Have a glorious day, my friend. 

• Offline voodoo   nl

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    514

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: RC80
    • City / Town: The Hague
    Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 04:58:53 pm
    September 25, 2020, 04:58:53 pm
    But, but, but, but, if the bolt can fall out without disassembling the exhaust, it surely can be put in the same way?
    Stop making sense

• Offline Lars

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    65

Offline Lars

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: RC 80 - 2015
    Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 06:43:31 am
    September 26, 2020, 06:43:31 am
    "... that,Voodoo, ist the right question..."

• Offline silverback GT

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    21

Offline silverback GT

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: Crossrunner 2017
    • City / Town: Lancaster
    Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 05:22:29 pm
    September 26, 2020, 05:22:29 pm
    I shortened the thread by 3 mm and ground the head of the nut flush and slightly levered exhaust out went in no problem :046:

• Offline Old Gadgey

• Crossrunner Junior  ‐    5

Offline Old Gadgey

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Bike: VFR800 X Crossru
    • City / Town: Chester-le-Stree
    Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 05:34:42 pm
    October 03, 2020, 05:34:42 pm

Not sure if the above link will work - apologies not that computor literate.

If not search for Sokkeleisten Garage on You Tube and in the vidoes there is one entitled Honda VFR800XF Crossrunner - Montering av Hovedstøtte (The easy way!) on how to fit a centre stand to a Crossrunner and shows how you move the exhaust(without removing it).

This mght be useful for anyone attempting to fit a centre stand in the future

• Offline larryblag

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    84

Offline larryblag

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: Derby
    Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 01:56:43 pm
    November 12, 2020, 01:56:43 pm
    Another idea might be to grind a slight wedge on the end to aid insertion (ooh matron). Use some locktite on the threads. That said, a lot of the Honda bolts come with a blue-coloured thread lock pre-applied?
    Not got my CR yet, it's awaiting worksop time. Hopefully next week 👍. Tried the centre stand at the dealer. Goodness it's a heavy lift. I can lift most bikes onto the centre stand (including Deauville, RT, Pan etc) but I couldn't manage the CR. Hopefully my technique will improve. Or I might actually try to put a stone on over Christmas 👍

• Offline pstjm

• Topic Author

Offline pstjm

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 04:57:48 pm
    November 12, 2020, 04:57:48 pm
    Hi fellow CR lovers - thanks for all the great info and advice on my centrestand issue.  Lars, I got hold of the parts and the lovely people at MIS (Motorcycle Investment Services) in Newark sorted out the repair for me.  For any of you in the East Midlands, these guys rock.  They restore classic bikes and sell them on, but they also do repairs, and their experience is pretty extensive.  So for those of you - like me - aren't comfortable on anytning more complex than oil changes and brake pad replacement, you know who to call.

Larryblag, I hope you're able to get it up eventually.  I find the CR slightly more challenging than my old VFR, but if you have hols of the 'bar and the plate behind the pillion footrest, you should get it on - no probs.  Cheers and keep the shiny side up.

• Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    362

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
    Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 05:34:25 pm
    November 12, 2020, 05:34:25 pm
    *Originally Posted by pstjm [+]

Larryblag, I hope you're able to get it up eventually. 

:012: Poor old Larryblag. I though that sort of thing only happened to oldies like me!!!
    Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda CB500.

* Recent Topics

topic newbie
    [New Members]
    Skids
    Yesterday at 06:19:37 pm
    topic Travel air compressor
    [Accessories and Products]
    brucey
    October 03, 2022, 10:48:15 am
    topic Powerbronze Wind Deflectors
    [Accessories and Products]
    brucey