Recent Gallery Images

From Turkiye

Views: 218
Posted by: forallende
in: Members Albums

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Brake Malfunction !!  (Read 5365 times)

Offline SVChang

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Kuala Lumpur
Rear Brake Malfunction !!
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
I have just got back from a weekend ride, done about 250km today. My rear brake was malfunction during my way back home just now.
I ride from morning till noon, about 4.30pm, ride on most local roads with busy traffics at certain small township areas, the highest speed I can go is about 100km/h. Weather was cloudy & hot, outside temperature was in the range 28 to 32 degree C.  On a stretch when I climbed up a ramp & making a left turn, I tapped on the rear brake, then suddenly I experienced a big drop of the pedal. When I tried again, I realized the brake pedal was stepped down to the max & the brake is not working ! I'm immediately put on the emergency signals & pulled over to road side. Had a check & did not find any leak of break fluid. Stepped on the pedal again, problem remained ! I'm still 80km away from home. Then, I have to depend on the front brake to get my way home. I turn into express way to head home with slow speed, about 90 to 100 km/r, after going about 20 minutes in the expressway, I checked on the brake again... and it's working now ! I have a stop mid way & took a short rest. My fellow bikers told me it could be caused by the expansion of the rubber hose. When temperature getting too hot, rubble hose will expand ! When it get cooler on the expressway, the rubber host return to its working condition.
Have any one here experience this situation for the Crossrunner ? Could it be due to any other reason ?

I had a thorough check when I reached home & found no leak on those rubber host where I can do the visual inspection.
P/S : The brake regain working condition until now...

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
Re: Rear Brake Malfunction !!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
If the problem is caused by the rubber hose expanding maybe you could try fitting braided hose.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Shaunomercy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
Svchang
 How hot was the rear disk ?  What you are describing is brake / fluid fade.  That sounds like you cooked the brake fluid or friction surfaces i.e pads and once it had cooled, your braking returned.

Were you just using the rear brake all the time in these conditions before the brake failure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

If it was a hose failure, it would still bulge or go out of shape when brake is applied even when cold.  Braided hoses wont stop brake fade...

I think you were having a fantastic time out on your ride, riding it like you had stolen it and the rear brake got an absolute pasting. :152: :152:

Use your fronts more as you have more braking power with the twin disks and more brake friction surface pad area.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:40:18 PM by Shaunomercy »

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shaunomercy [+]
Hmmm  Im not so sure rocker.  Svchang, How hot was the rear disk ?  What you are describing is brake / fluid fade.  I think you would be very very unlucky to have a rubber brake hose expanding to the point you have little or no brakes on such a new bike.  That sounds like you cooked the brake fluid and once it had cooled, your braking returned.

Were you just using the rear brake all the time in these conditions before the brake failure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

Paul

I did say "If"
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Offline SVChang

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shaunomercy [+]

Use your fronts more as you have more braking power with the twin disks and more brake friction surface pad area.

Paul

Yah... I mainly depend on the front brake, seldom used the rear.

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »
 :084: I understand why Paul makes the comments he does - but if it was me - I would want to take the bike into dealer and get their opinion/check the bike over - especially as SV says he uses front brake most of the time.  Any sort of brake failure (permanent or interrmittent) must be reported back into Honda (for your own sake and for  information of all owners on this forum). Will you be doing that SVChang?? - and if so could you let us all know what they say.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:22:44 PM by xrunjoe »
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Swanley
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »
By what you describe (sudden loss of pressure & no external leaks) I would be tempted to point towards a master brake cylinder or combined brake valve malfunction. Brake fade would indeed make the brakes inefficient but the sudden loss of pressure in the brake pedal could be something more serious and I would have it checked by the dealers.

Offline Will vZ

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800X/Vulcan S
  • City / Town: Castel
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »
Question: If it was brake fade would the pedal drop? I was wondering if it could be a bubble or airlock in the hydraulic fluid. If it was me, I think I would go back to the dealer for a check-up, while its still under warranty

Will..

Shaunomercy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 06:55:54 AM »
Yes brake fade will make the pedal drop.   My mate 2 up coming down grimsell pass in switzerland cooked his rear brake on his cbr6 and the pedal dropped.  Once it had cooled it was fine.  Id whip the rear pads out and see if they are glazed but as said a visit to honda would be in order for piece of mind.

Exact same symptoms described by svchang
http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16465

Paul
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:16:46 AM by Shaunomercy »

Offline SVChang

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »
Thanks a lot for all the information and those quoted references. I'm certainly will get to the service workshop to iron out the problem.
Honda in my country does not deal with any superbike, the most they have is the CBR250. My CR was bought from a so called "licensed bike importer" that under the government control, after sales service is very limited  :009:
Anyway, I will sort this out & will get back to the forum.

Thanks for all the input   :028:   :028:

* Recent Topics

topic Hello
[New Members]
stubax
Today at 06:44:30 AM
topic Oil change
[VFR800X Crossrunner - General Chat]
Skids
Yesterday at 02:16:02 PM
topic Tank Bag
[Accessories and Products]