Recent Gallery Images

From Turkiye

Views: 106
Posted by: forallende
in: Members Albums

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pannier heat protection plate  (Read 2745 times)

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Pannier heat protection plate
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »
Under the thread about ixil exhausts - mention has been made of the potential for heat damage to the right hand pannier due to the closeness of the ixil exhaust to the pannier's heat protection plate.
I mentioned this when in a Honda dealer yesterday and they pointed out that for the VFR1200 the standard pannier and exhaust set up is also very close and not a problem. I checked one bike they had in and the exhaust end is indeed very close to the pannier - as the picture below shows. Hopefully this will put us at ease.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
Re: Pannier heat protection plate
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
I certainly had no problems with heat affecting the panniers on my VFR1200DCT
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Offline strats

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocker66 [+]
I certainly had no problems with heat affecting the panniers on my VFR1200DCT

I'm with Rocker. Never had a problem with heat on my 1200, which is a good thing as my IXIL is on its way.
I don't try to explain to people why I ride a Motorcycle. For those who understand no explanation is needed! For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible..

Offline Will vZ

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800X/Vulcan S
  • City / Town: Castel
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
Hi Strats.

I've checked a couple of times now, and heat build-up doesn't seem to be a problem.

I reckon you're gonna like the Ixil. Be interested to know if you get the "extra" baffle as well!

Will.

Offline strats

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 05:23:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will vZ [+]
Hi Strats.

I've checked a couple of times now, and heat build-up doesn't seem to be a problem.

I reckon you're gonna like the Ixil. Be interested to know if you get the "extra" baffle as well!

Will.

Need to pick your brain Will.

The Hyperlow arrived at work yesterday and I was like a kid at Christmas waiting to get home.
Took off the old exhaust and the tried to fit this bloody thing to no avail.
Did you have any trouble at all?
Did you have to remove the old exhaust gasket?because if that's the case, it won't fit in the new one, it's snug directly fitted to the cat.

If I put the pipe on and tighten up the clamp at the cat, the mounting hole in the bracket is about 4-5 inches away from alignment with that in the foot rest.
On the other hand, if I try to align the foot rest bolt (which won't go through the bracket), the pipes and the bracket sit at about a 30 degree angle pointing to the bottom of the wheel.

Have been in contact with the supplier I purchased from in Germany and have also emailed IXIL to see if they can ID the pipe from the numbers on the plate. Although the carton is clearly marked correctly, I suspect it has the wrong pipe in the box.

Oh yeah, I did get the "extra baffle", which way does it go, in the pipe or the cat?

If you can shine any light I'd be a very happy boy.

Paul
I don't try to explain to people why I ride a Motorcycle. For those who understand no explanation is needed! For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible..

Offline Will vZ

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800X/Vulcan S
  • City / Town: Castel
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
General opinion so far is that the extra baffle is not required. Assuming that they are all the same, I undid the two captive bolts on the Honda pipe, then the one on the bracket by the rear footrest; Honda pipe then just slides off the connecting pipe from the cat ( no gasket on mine). Ixil should just slide onto the cat pipe, refit the bolt by the rear footrest & tighten the hose-connector type clamp around the join between the Ixil & the cat. Should be that easy assuming that you have the same exhaust system as on the european models. The fact that it doesn't seem to line up has me wondering if something is different somewhere. If you want to post some pictures maybe we can spot something.

Will.

recent