Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Front brake dragging on LHS  (Read 471 times)

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: London
Front brake dragging on LHS
on: October 24, 2020, 01:23:52 PM
Stripped and cleaned the callipers today and put new pads in as the wheel doesn’t spin freely when off the ground. It drags slightly.
Turns out it’s the LHS calliper.
I cleaned everything, including inside the carrier rubbers and greased these lightly with high temp grease.
All to no avail. It still drags. Not badly, but still annoying. It’s as if the left pistons are not returning back as much as the right ones.
Next I guess is to bleed the front brake system and get nice new fluid in there.
Anyone else had this issue?
There is another issue I’m confused by. Sometimes when coming to a slow stop, there is a judder from the front, as if the ABS is actuating, but slowly.
Any ideas? Brakes seem to work very well apart from these issues.

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Loving it all
  • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
Re: Front brake dragging on LHS
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 03:51:25 PM
I've found in the past that the pads on all disc brakes on all vehicles do not retract completely into the callipers when pressure is released. They always maintain a bit of contact with the disc until the wheel has completed quite a few revolutions. This is borne out by the pads 'sticking' to wet discs on vehicles with plain steel discs. This is caused by rust when the vehicle has been standing overnight for instance.
I have the same juddering on my 2019 CR when applying a fair amount of pressure on the brake when almost at a standstill. I also assume it's the ABS as the brakes work fine in every other situation.
Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki ST 1100 - Kawasaki Z1100 B2 - Honda NSS.

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 04:06:53 PM
Thank you for your reply. That’s reassuring about the judder. It’s my first ABS bike in 30 years of riding, so all a bit of an unknown for me.
The thing is, if I remove the LHS calliper from the disc the wheel spins freely as I’d expect it to.
I’ve just bled the brakes ( the front master cylinder and two top bleed screws ) so we will see if it improves. It’s pissing down now and I’ll test on Monday.
Need to research how to bleed the rear master cylinder with the combined system. I presume the lower bleed nipple on the front calliper needs bleeding in conjunction with the rear calliper.

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Loving it all
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 08:41:27 AM
The binding disc is a bit of a puzzler. Changing the brake fluid is a good idea if you're not sure if it's been changed on schedule but I doubt it will solve your problem.
To check the LHS brake assembly take the bike (when it stops raining) on a fairly fast spin for a few miles using the brakes as little as possible and then stop and check both front discs. If the LHS disc is a lot hotter than the RHS then there is a problem somewhere. If the discs are both cool or just warm then there is no problem.
I can't comment on the combined circuit brakes as the later CR's do not have them.
Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 08:46:14 AM by Corringdon
Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki ST 1100 - Kawasaki Z1100 B2 - Honda NSS.

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 01:22:49 PM
Yes, I’ve checked the disc temp after riding. Both seem the same. Not particularly hot either.
I’ve now got rid of the cloudy looking fluid and bled through a lot of new fluid. Crystal clear golden Dot 5.1 now in place.
New EBC pads, clean pistons, clean spring plates, locating plates, smooth retaining pins ( wet and dry polished ) cleaned and greased carrier pins and boots, and even clean discs. Fluid return hole in master cylinder checked and all good.
I guess I’ll see how it is after the new pads bed in, the old ones were well on the way to being shot and were surrounded by brake dust and debris.
It should all be tip top now.
Short of popping out pistons and replacing seals there’s not much else I can do.
Couldn’t face doing the rear calliper. That’s not even close to dragging and looks pretty clean with lots of pad left.
A job for another day, along with bleeding the clutch to refresh the fluid. Looks like it’s going to rain again anyway. 🙄

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Loving it all
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 03:06:17 PM
Wow, you've done the lot. If there is no seepage of brake fluid then I wouldn't change or mess with the seals.
Yep, see how it is when the new pads wear in and if you still have a problem consider becoming a monk.

Offline Bikespod

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 06:51:03 PM
 😂😇

recent