Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Good morning...  (Read 474 times)

Offline Steve398

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: ST1300
  • City / Town: PULBOROUGH
Good morning...
on: November 22, 2020, 11:14:10 AM
Hi,

Just in the process of checking out a replacement for my ST1300 Pan, not that anything is wrong with it other than at my venerable age it seems to get heavier every day!

TBH it’s done me well, bought new in ‘09 and now has a shade under 48k on it, mostly from touring in France, Italy and Greece with my wife my as pillion.
But... heavy man, and with 2 full panniers I’d hate to have to pick if up from some of the pot-holed byways that the Italians laughingly call back roads.

So, a Crossrunner. 13st lighter than a Pan (and co-incidentally about the same weight as me) another lovely V4 engine and having had 4 VFR’s in the past I’m looking forward to a pleasurable reunion. So when the present lockdown is eventually over I’ll pop up to Dobles with wifey and have a play. A lot depends on said pillion (Debs) being comfy, and so far nothing has come close to the Sargent seats on the Pan for space and comfort - BMWs galore failed miserably, Kwak’s nope, nothing else in the Honda range, and Yams declined test rides so no chance, Aprilia/Moto Guzzi were just uncomfortable for both of us. I’m running out of options here...

Hopefully we’ll be taking a more active part in the forum, in the meanwhile my apologies for the inevitable stupid questions

Steve

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Re: Good morning...
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 01:33:41 PM
 :400: :031:
Good luck with the hunt - dobles always brilliant imho

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Loving it all
  • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 04:27:54 PM
 :400: Welcome Steve. As you say you are running out of options. I haven't carried pillions on my CR but from a driver's point of view I don't think you can beat it.
Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki ST 1100 - Kawasaki Z1100 B2 - Honda NSS.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:19:36 PM
*Originally Posted by Steve398 [+]
Hi,

Just in the process of checking out a replacement for my ST1300 Pan, not that anything is wrong with it other than at my venerable age it seems to get heavier every day!

TBH it’s done me well, bought new in ‘09 and now has a shade under 48k on it, mostly from touring in France, Italy and Greece with my wife my as pillion.
But... heavy man, and with 2 full panniers I’d hate to have to pick if up from some of the pot-holed byways that the Italians laughingly call back roads.

So, a Crossrunner. 13st lighter than a Pan (and co-incidentally about the same weight as me) another lovely V4 engine and having had 4 VFR’s in the past I’m looking forward to a pleasurable reunion. So when the present lockdown is eventually over I’ll pop up to Dobles with wifey and have a play. A lot depends on said pillion (Debs) being comfy, and so far nothing has come close to the Sargent seats on the Pan for space and comfort - BMWs galore failed miserably, Kwak’s nope, nothing else in the Honda range, and Yams declined test rides so no chance, Aprilia/Moto Guzzi were just uncomfortable for both of us. I’m running out of options here...

Hopefully we’ll be taking a more active part in the forum, in the meanwhile my apologies for the inevitable stupid questions

Steve

You'll really notice the change in torque/hp - you'll have to get used to using the gearbox again.

The seats (2 separate seats on the Crossie) can easily be re-modelled with plusher foam and shaped how you want them - the standard seats are not all-day capable, for me at least.

I'm not sure the standard suspension will be good enough for 2-up with luggage either, but again there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades available.

Sorry if that sounds a bit negative - I love the Crossrunner, but to come from a Pan that you use for 2-up touring I think you will really notice a difference. But having a test ride is the way to go.

Best of luck.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Steve398

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: ST1300
  • City / Town: PULBOROUGH
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:50:17 PM
Thanks for the advice, I rather suspected that the Susp and seat may need modification or upgrades. On the Pan I have a Maxton revalved and sprung front end and a fully adj Wilbers 641 with remote preload (Ebay special at £250) which does a great job, so I’ll be braced for attack on my wallet if we move across.
I’ll also do a search for Sargent replacement seats, but don’t hold out much hope...
Does the Crossrunner suffer from the reg/rect problems that plagued Honda’s in the past?

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 07:54:48 AM
Thanks for the advice, I rather suspected that the Susp and seat may need modification or upgrades. On the Pan I have a Maxton revalved and sprung front end and a fully adj Wilbers 641 with remote preload (Ebay special at £250) which does a great job, so I’ll be braced for attack on my wallet if we move across.
I’ll also do a search for Sargent replacement seats, but don’t hold out much hope...
Does the Crossrunner suffer from the reg/rect problems that plagued Honda’s in the past?

I've not heard of any issues, the electrics are all sorted now.

There are plenty of seat suppliers out there so you should be able to get more touring-oriented padding and as I said, the seat is split in 2 anyway so you can sort them one at a time if necessary.

Please keep us updated on your decision.

Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:57:00 AM by Skids
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW London
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 08:31:23 AM
Hi,

Steve
Steve, for 8yrs I also had a Pan as my only "year round bike" and then 3yrs ago I did exactly what you describe for the very same reason. A 2017 Dresser has taken over the role perfectly since, so if your Wife Debs gives the thumbs up then IMHO you won't find a better adventure style bike at the price.
Top Tip: Just avoid/gloss over any potential discussion about the panniers looking "slightly" smaller 😉
Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:35:33 AM by CBM

recent