Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Oversteer  (Read 309 times)

Offline Rhonddarider

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2018 crossrunner
  • City / Town: Rhondda
Oversteer
on: November 23, 2020, 04:33:03 PM
Had 2nd year service recently 11000 miles,no suspension changes except new front tyre, have noticed bike seems to be slightly over steering
Any views on this anyone

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X 2016
  • City / Town: Pendle
Re: Oversteer
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 04:52:32 PM
Some things to check out..sorry for being obvious... :164:
Is the pressure in both tyres correct
Have you checked that the new tyre is the same size as the old one?
Is it the same make?
Is it the same type ie matching the rear..Scorpion, Roadtec etc?
Is the rear tyre worn below half or flattened in profile?

Any of the above can cause the front to feel strange.

Let us know more if you can please.

JT :015: 

Offline Rhonddarider

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 05:04:18 PM
Cheers JT, tyres both Bridgestone T31s, pressures within 1psi when checked before ride, tyre wear 600miles front approx 1000 miles rear both new in the last few months,  only items I haven't checked is preload on rear shock if that makes any difference

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 05:44:14 PM
You mention just having a service, did the dealers adjust the steering bearings?

Also don't know if this applies to the B31's or not but some versions of Bridgestone bike tyres come in different construction types IE stronger carcass construction for heavy bikes usually branded as GT on the sidewalls..if you mix different types (say GT on front with non GT on rears) the front is built with a second belt in the carcass which means it doesn't flex as much as the lighter normal version thus can feel different when riding :027:
I would suspect that the steering bearing have been adjusted tho..  or need checking first just to eliminate them.

Was the tyre on the front the same make before you had it changed?

Offline Rhonddarider

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:02:42 PM
Thanks JT, previous front was Bridgestone t30
Dont know about the head bearing it may be worth me checking with the dealer on that one
Thanks for your feedback

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 08:04:17 PM
So the new front is a T31 and the old was a T30...one explanation could be - if everything mentioned earlier is correct, is that the profile of the tyre has changed between the two models of tyres.

Obviously this can only be checked if you compare the two types together whilst new.. it could be that as the old front wore down you adapted to the changes taking place (as the profile changed with wear)and now that you have a new tyre with possibly a slightly different profile it suddenly feels strange :027:

Offline Rhonddarider

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 08:19:48 PM
That could be the answer JT, will have to feel  for any changes as the tyre wears in,👍

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 08:35:35 PM
I've been caught out before with changing from an old much loved version of one brand of tyre and have been sucked in by the hype of a "newer improved" version with this thing and that thing "better" only to be completely disappointed with the loss of confidence the newer version gave me :023: Sodding expensive mistake too :138:
So without changing like for like you may have to accept that this is how the new version feels on YOUR bike to YOU..Tyres are SO subjective to each person, What I might find excellent on my ride you may find terrible... there's no black and white answer I'm afraid.

You could play about with tyre pressures within reason and see if it improves the situation.

Hope you sort it.
Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:44:11 PM by Jonnyteabag