Author Front Indicator replacement  (Read 3067 times)

• Offline scotty43

• Crossrunner Junior  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline scotty43

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 crossunner
    • City / Town: DERBY
    Front Indicator replacement
    on: December 07, 2020, 03:00:30 pm
    December 07, 2020, 03:00:30 pm
    Hi All, Just joined the forum to ask for some help.
    First time I have come off my Crossrunner in 4 years, luckily I was at a standstill, don't know how it really happened maybe greasy road or the slope but I went to put my foot down and it slid away with the bike coming on op off me. No damage to me but the left front indicator was smashed.
    Thought it would be an easy DIY replacement! I can see the nut that holds the indicator on, but can't reach it with a spanner or socket, so I thought I would try to take the inner plastic facia off which obstructs access.(those C type plastic clips are a pain to get out). All clips now out but the panel wont come away.
    Has anybody else replaced an indicator, any advise please would be helpful.

Cheers Mick

• Offline Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1663

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Re: Front Indicator replacement
    Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 03:03:54 pm
    December 07, 2020, 03:03:54 pm
    Sorry Mick, not heard of anyone having to do that. Best of luck with it though.

And welcome to the forum.  :031:
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 9000 miles

• Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    360

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
    • Loving it all
    • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
    Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 05:30:26 pm
    December 07, 2020, 05:30:26 pm
    As per Skids.
    Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda CB500.

• Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    69

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: VFR800X 2016
    • City / Town: Pendle
    Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:23:17 pm
    December 07, 2020, 10:23:17 pm
    Have you got a Mk 1 or MK2 CR?
    I have a MK2 and I can tell you that Honda's design for the front indicators is pants as even the Honda crash bars won't save the plastic mounts from cracking in a fall over...
    The front indicators just need a sharp tap and the weakest spot which is the overly complex plastic base that sits  between the bodywork and the instrument surround gives way and breaks.

This crappy plastic moulding is itself screwed to the panel with self tappers that are very difficult to get at..
    I had to study the parts diagram from Fowler's in order to understand how to even get to it.
    When I got my CR (second hand) I noticed that the front left indicator was very wobbly..
    I  ordered what I thought was the correct part but later when I finally worked out how to get the bit off, I then found the partly hidden plastic bracket was cracked in two with a large bit of it missing.. so it was back to Fowler's to order more bits.
    To say that indicators are usually broken in a fall over means that the  parts are USUALLY quite easy to get to and replace but IMO Honda really have screwed up with the design of this big time..without photos of what I did even I couldn't follow my own description of how I replaced the bits :008:

Best of luck and sorry for the rant!..it's been a long lockdown round here!!
    JT :015:

• Offline scotty43

• Topic Author

Offline scotty43

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 09:43:27 am
    December 08, 2020, 09:43:27 am
    Thanks for the "rant", as you say it is very frustrating that a part that obviously gets badly damaged in any minor accident, cant be replaced fairly easily. My CR is a 2013 model, which has the stacked headlights not side by side.
    I can see the nut that holds the indicator on, but the access to get to it is rubbish. As normal Honda probably have a special  tool to do it. When it warms up a bit (no garage), I am going out to have another look at it. If I cant figure it out I might go down to my nearest dealer, to ask there advice.

Cheers Mick

• Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    69

Offline Jonnyteabag

• Crossrunner Member
    • Bike: VFR800X 2016
    • City / Town: Pendle
    Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 12:04:26 pm
    December 08, 2020, 12:04:26 pm
    Well I just looked at Fowler's part diagram for the MK1 and hats off to Honda for they sure know how make the simplest tasks super difficult :112:
    Jeez it was bad enough when I was on the spanners  :155:
    You need double jointed wrists and fingers these days just to change a headlight bulb  :033:

I really feel for the service techies these days
    Hope you can work it out

Stay safe!

JT :015:
    Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:43:45 pm by Jonnyteabag

• Offline Lampie

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    88

Offline Lampie

• Crossrunner Member
    • Hyper(pro) Crossrunner
    • Bike: vfr800x 2015
    • City / Town: Alphen ad Rijn
    Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 06:25:00 pm
    December 08, 2020, 06:25:00 pm
    A few years ago, I had to lay the bike down on it's right side.
    Broken indicator and a bent brake peddel   :013:
    She did'n see me, because she was texting or something on her   :112: phone....

First, remove all the clips you can find in front of the tank and beside the dash cluster
    Remove the  2 allanbolts on top of the indicator, and the 2 just beside the tank.Now you can remove the piece in front of the tank, and the 2 pieces left and right.  It is not so difficult to take the whole dash out, 2 pins in rubber grommets
    Now you can wiggle the indicator out. remove the nut, disconnect the  wireconnector from the loom.

ODO  73865 km

• Offline scotty43

• Topic Author

Offline scotty43

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 11:05:53 pm
    December 08, 2020, 11:05:53 pm
    Thanks Lampie for advice, I believe your CR is the 2015 model with a revised headlight/dash setup, your description doesn't seem to match with my 2013 CR. But in principal you are probably right, I probably need to remove all the clips on both sides, not just one side, and hopefully the inner panels will come off. Will try tomorrow (If this rain will ever stop).

Cheers Mick :031:

• Offline scotty43

• Topic Author

Offline scotty43

• Crossrunner Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 02:00:34 pm
    December 10, 2020, 02:00:34 pm
    Old indicator off the bike!! Gave up trying to take the inside panels off and bent a 10mm ring spanner to get to the nut holding the indicator on. The only problem was not to drop the nut inside the panel. Managed to feed the nut onto a bit of bent wire and extract it.
    Not ordered the new indicator yet, as I wanted to check that the fairing wasn't damaged, and was not really sure until the indicator was off. Putting the nut back on again maybe a problem??
    Now I need to trace the wiring back to connect up the new indicator when it comes, might just solder up the new wire to the old, will see.

If anybody wants to access service manuals I found out yesterday that you can rent time on the Honda EU server, I thought I will try it, I paid my 10 Euro for 1 hour, but couldn't make it work (maybe it was me?) so i can't recommend it, I have complained to Honda-eu. if anybody else has had success let me know.

Cheers Mick

• Offline Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1663

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 04:09:31 pm
    December 10, 2020, 04:09:31 pm
    *Originally Posted by scotty43 [+]
    Old indicator off the bike!! Gave up trying to take the inside panels off and bent a 10mm ring spanner to get to the nut holding the indicator on. The only problem was not to drop the nut inside the panel. Managed to feed the nut onto a bit of bent wire and extract it.
    Not ordered the new indicator yet, as I wanted to check that the fairing wasn't damaged, and was not really sure until the indicator was off. Putting the nut back on again maybe a problem??
    Now I need to trace the wiring back to connect up the new indicator when it comes, might just solder up the new wire to the old, will see.

If anybody wants to access service manuals I found out yesterday that you can rent time on the Honda EU server, I thought I will try it, I paid my 10 Euro for 1 hour, but couldn't make it work (maybe it was me?) so i can't recommend it, I have complained to Honda-eu. if anybody else has had success let me know.

Cheers Mick

There was a member paid for access a few years ago. Hopefully they will be in touch soon.
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 9000 miles