Author Of Fouled Breathers and Cracked Tanks  (Read 1362 times)

• Offline BarneyS

• Crossrunner Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline BarneyS

• Crossrunner Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VT700R
    • City / Town: Cowes
    Of Fouled Breathers and Cracked Tanks
    on: December 12, 2020, 05:33:07 pm
    December 12, 2020, 05:33:07 pm
    Hi All,

For info and also seeing AndrewP's search for a petrol tank.

I had a dealer 24,000 mile service last week and then did a couple of decent runs, totaling 150 miles or so before noticing a distinct petrol aroma when loading up yesterday morning. Naturally I justified it by thinking that for some reason my sense of smell was working better than usual or the exhaust fumes on the road were just a bit petrolly........

Another day's running around and it was obvious, there was a petrol smell and (imagination?) the tank of fuel didn't seem to be going as far as it should.

Back on the island I took the bike straight to the dealer at about half four. They gave it a super quick look and then gave me a courtesy bike.....

Lunch time today they called and told me that they had found a crease in the underside of the RHS of the tank which was leaking...... indeed, a two wheel firebomb on the move.

They had also found, whilst stripping it down that the tank breather was led incorrectly and almost completely blocked and had come up with the theory that the fuel tank had been getting sucked in and out like a pair of bellows which had over the course of time creased and broached the tank.

I was able to confirm that there was always a rush of air when I opened the tank cap, which I hadn't questioned on the basis that maybe they all did that.....

All ended very well for me today as they had an aged tank hidden away upstairs on a shelf which had been rejected from a new bike on arrival because of a tiny chip. They dug it out, fitted it, put a dab of paint on the chip and then called me to pick it up..... with an option to keep the old tank and have repaired... all for the princely sum of nothing.

On my return trip I stopped for fuel.... no rush of air.

Morals of the story.

1. Dealers aren't stealers
    2. Look out for kinks in your breather

Hats off and massive thanks to Adrian and all the guys at Church Street Motorcycles, Ventnor, my bacon saved, back on the road for Monday and that bike will never go elsewhere for service!

One small thing but I am getting used to rocking the look..... White tank on red bike! May sort it one day, may cover it.. may keep it!

Happy biking all!

Barney.

• Online voodoo   nl

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    510

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: RC80
    • City / Town: The Hague
    Re: Of Fouled Breathers and Cracked Tanks
    Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 06:21:09 pm
    December 12, 2020, 06:21:09 pm
    Lovely story an lovely new look!  :031:
    Stop making sense

• Online Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1661

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 06:53:36 am
    December 13, 2020, 06:53:36 am
    Glad you got that sorted. The imploding tank has been a thing on the VFR800F for a few years now. Luckily you caught it before the tank properly disfigured!

I'm liking the mixed colour scheme too.  :031:
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

• Online voodoo   nl

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    510

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: RC80
    • City / Town: The Hague
    Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 09:13:57 am
    December 13, 2020, 09:13:57 am
    My cr had the same breather issue after a service at the dealers, there is some serious vacuum buildup! I had it fixed at the dealers after the second fill up or so.
    Stop making sense

• Online Skids   gb

• Crossrunner Master  ‐    1661

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 01:35:38 pm
    December 13, 2020, 01:35:38 pm
    *Originally Posted by voodoo [+]
    My cr had the same breather issue after a service at the dealers, there is some serious vacuum buildup! I had it fixed at the dealers after the second fill up or so.

Link here to discussion on VFRD.

Discussion started on a private bike site back in Aug 17 and I posted to VFRD because there were a lot of 800F owners on there and a lot of very good VFR tech knowledge.
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

• Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro  ‐    159

Offline CBM

• Crossrunner Pro
    • Bike: 2017 Crossrunner
    • City / Town: NW London
    Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 07:38:12 am
    December 14, 2020, 07:38:12 am
    My in-laws live in Ventnor and over the past 35yrs I've been into Church St M/c's many times, they're a great bunch of Guys. Having said I've found trades people in general on the IOW have a different approach to business/customers than than the majority at home in London.

• Offline mrvelcrofast   scotland

• Crossrunner Pro  ‐    110

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Pro
    • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
    • City / Town: Macduff
    Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:29 pm
    January 27, 2021, 08:48:29 pm
    I should add my incident from a couple of years back on my 16 plate:
    Same thing again, I'd noticed a few vacuum issues, sometimes I couldn't get the fuel cap open and then when I finally did, there was a woosh of air.
    Even worse after bike had been into Chiswick Honda for a big service. I collected the bike and rode into London and stopped at a BP filling station to fill up. It was one of those barmy London summer days. Temp was early 30's. Still sat astride the bike, I put the key into the filler cap and turned it.
    Immediately there was a huge noise like a bomb had gone off and the whoosh of air physically forced my hand off the key. I sat there stunned.
    I took it straight back to Chiswick Honda and they apologised profusely. One of the breathers had been snagged when they did the Valve tolerances.

Since then I have never had anymore problems., but I still get the whiff of petrol every now and then!

recent