Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2018 topbox compatibility  (Read 820 times)

Offline ThunderGuts

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
2018 topbox compatibility
on: December 18, 2020, 02:34:18 PM
Afternoon all,

Having had a courtesy bike for a week with a topbox, I now realise my life has been lacking this fantastically practical item! My 2018CR has a topbox carrier already (previous owner sadly took the topbox with them); am I restricted to Honda items that will fit this (bearing in mind the OEM topbox isn't cheap and scarce secondhand), or can I use it to fit other brands too? I would look to fit a topbox that can be released easily (I assume this is fairly standard as a feature) and I'm not bothered about it opening with the same key as the bike (although I do have a spare barrel which presumably came out of the previous owner's topbox).

Cheers

Offline stubax

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: VRF800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: 2018 topbox compatibility
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 03:50:10 PM
Believe that Givi make the Honda top boxes so may be worth looking at a Givi box.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 05:44:31 PM
You can use other makes of top box but you'll need to purchase a mount to go between the Honda carrier and the box. The cost of both may outweigh getting a Honda one, depending on which you decide you'd like.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline ThunderGuts

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 02:58:24 PM
So bit of background for anyone contemplating the same; ended up deciding I wanted a GIVI Monokey box (as a good range of sizes/designs to choose from). Doesn't seem to be an off-the-shelf adaptor and I wanted to utilise the OEM carrier already on the bike than get the GIVI one (which looks naff and I've heard of them failing too). Considered getting one of the "M" alloy plates designed for a different bike and adapting it, but instead got the E251 universal plate instead. Unfortunately the OEM topbox holes (at least two of them) will only line up naturally with the plate when it's too far forwards to remove the pillion seat, so ended up using the brackets it came with. Three seemed to work, rather than four, but I used the fourth as a backup, plus a couple of cable ties with big nuts as retainers to act as backups in case the bracketry ever came loose unexpectedly.

Quite straightforward overall, the adaptor plate is about £40 and then you've got the options of plenty of GIVI cases which are relatively inexpensive compared with the Honda offerings.

A few pics; first with the plate mounted but without the cover over the top (once the cover plate is fitted, it looks very smart);

View from underneath showing how the brackets were used. Seems rock solid but will monitor over time