Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: MOT question  (Read 194 times)

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner 800x
  • City / Town: Peterhead
MOT question
on: January 10, 2021, 02:30:14 PM
My bikes mot is due. Because of the recent cold weather, I’ve been unable to ride it to my nearest tester. Been looking at the mot.gov website to see what’s best to do. Short of hiring a van/trailer it looks like I have to sorn it. As it is kept in my garage, insured and road taxed the whole year, do I still need to do this? I would be taking it to get tested on the first day we get above 5 degree with no ice.
Anyone else had this issue and how did they go about it?
Regards

Offline GeoffTheChef

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: MOT question
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 02:39:00 PM

if it taxed and insured then I see no reason or legality to SORN it. The law as I understand it, if MOT has expired, allows you to drive a car OR in this case ride a motorcycle to a prebooked MOT test as long as it is taxed and insured. You could always call the garage or dealer to confirm this.

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 02:50:08 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I will give the garage a call tomorrow and see what they say. A pity the extension wasn’t still on cause that would have taken the renewal into spring/summer dates.
Regards

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 05:25:36 PM
*Originally Posted by GeoffTheChef [+]
if it taxed and insured then I see no reason or legality to SORN it. The law as I understand it, if MOT has expired, allows you to drive a car OR in this case ride a motorcycle to a prebooked MOT test as long as it is taxed and insured. You could always call the garage or dealer to confirm this.

I believe this is correct.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 07:55:48 PM
Thanks again for the reply. Seems to be the case as mentioned. I think I get a full year from the date it is tested. So, either I hope the weather is rubbish till March, or get it tested soon then get the next one done November to avoid this issue.

Offline voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 08:01:08 PM
What is this mot you speak of? In Hollandshire we don't have this nonsense.  :047: :008: :016:
Stop making sense

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 08:09:47 PM
 :008: :008:
I know. When I was younger, It was not a necessity too.  :005:  it’s only once you have stuff in your own name and abide by the laws it becomes essential. If it’s stolen or unroadworthy you need not bother being legal as the chances of getting caught are so slim