nordkapp

Views: 152
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst
IMG 2655

Views: 292
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda heated grips  (Read 3679 times)

Offline gatesy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Tyres down saddle up!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: Le Bosc Renoult
Honda heated grips
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
After approx 2k kms noticed that the cable on the right hand grip fouls the brake lever on full throttle. In time this will chafe and wear through. My dealer (in England) says to carefully feed a screwdriver down between the rubber and the metal tube to free off the grip, then re-position and re-glue. He says that there are only a couple of blobs of glue to fix the position so it shouldn't be a problem.

Q is has anyone done this or similar and any advice would be useful. Obviously looking at the price of grips, if I bugger it up, has made me a bit nervous.

On a technical level is the heating element in the rubber bit or part of the metal tube?
Tel; 02 33 35 85 84 for TLC if in trouble or even in the area.
Code postale; 61470

Shaunomercy

Re: Honda heated grips
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
if Honda grips and they fitted them, go back to dealer
Paul

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
As Paul suggests, let the dealer's deal with it.

There is no metal tube to start with, as far as I can remember, the throttle tube is made of plastic. Honda grips may be different, but my Oxford are certainly not elastic but made of a hard plastic on the inside.

The method you describe may work with the original rubbery grips but feeding a screwdriver in between a hard grip and the plastic tube will most likely crack one or the other, a potentially expensive repair.

danesman

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
I agree with Paul, go back to the dealer if they fitted them.

We all read about gluing grips on and can buy  ' Grip Glue '. I have spent years cycling ( racing and other stuff ) and consequently building bikes. In the case of mountain bikes it is common practise to spray hair laquer on the bar this then makes it really easy to slide on the grip. Approx 1/2 hour later this will be stuck fast and extremely difficult to budge without a screwdriver. The trick is to spray WD40 under the grip and this will gradually relaease it. Minimal risk of damage.
The only problem may be when the grips heat up but who knows ?. I don't know if anybody has tried it before

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
That's exactly how I fitted mine. I cleaned the bar and throttle tube well, pre-heated the grips on full power for a few minutes, sprayed some stick hair spray and inserted the hot grips. It gives you a bit of time to reposition them and then they stuck pretty well. Once they cool down a little bit, they contract and no longer move.

I didn't take them off yet so don't know how difficult it would be but as you can see in the picture above, Honda uses a little bit more that a couple of blobs of glue.

Offline gatesy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Tyres down saddle up!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: Le Bosc Renoult
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
Tks for the useful replies. Dealer did say they would do it but the cost of getting there makes the fix prohibitive. I'm not confident of doing it myself so am now investigating repositioning of the throttle on the bar as a safer alternative but cannot find out if the throttle is pegged or not. There seems to be only one screw on the underside of the grip rather than a clamp so I'm not sure. Also I'm new to Honda engineering so cannot draw on experience of a manufacturers preference.
Are they the same as standard VFR kit so I can refer to available info?
Tel; 02 33 35 85 84 for TLC if in trouble or even in the area.
Code postale; 61470

Shaunomercy

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
no these heated grips are quite new and not what were fitted on the vfr vtec.  if you can move the whole throttle assembly around a fraction that would be a better way.  I would not try and remove grip.  it may be a 250 quid mistake..

Paul

recent