Author Topic: Pannier lid removal  (Read 335 times)

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Pro
Pannier lid removal
on: September 19, 2021, 12:51:58 PM
Well, it finally happened. I managed to drop my Crossrunner. Luckily the only damage was to the rh pannier lid and front brake lever as the Honda engine protector bars did their job with only a minor scratch, now painted. Fowler’s supplied a new brake lever by return of post (leaving me with a serviceable spare that conveniently is the same as the one on my NC750X; in fact I didn’t realise it was bent until I got home).
So, how to remove the pannier lid? There is an old post on this forum but the link to  one of the many VFR forums is missing, so I did the research again.
Basically as the inner end of each hinge is blocked off, the pins need to be knocked inwards using a suitable drift after drilling out the blind inner end of the hinge. I used a Dremel clone for this purpose.
I found that the pins could be driven so far but then stuck. Judicious use of a hot air gun on the lower setting then tapping a bit more - rinse and repeat eventually dislodged the pins without damage. These are knurled on the outer end. Hopefully I should now be able to get the score marks filled and the lid resprayed. There’s a place nearby that did my friends VFR fairing panel and made a great job of it.
On a sadder note, once the lid is repaired I’m afraid my Crossie is going to have to go. Like others have found, age eventually reduces one’s ability to manage the weight safely when manoeuvring. Oh well.
Anyway, I hope this is of use to anyone else on here who needs to remove a Honda pannier lid. The latest red ones are unobtainable, a situation that is now unlikely to improve.

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
  • Loving it all
  • Bike: 2019 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
Re: Pannier lid removal
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 03:18:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosspurpose [+]
. On a sadder note, once the lid is repaired I’m afraid my Crossie is going to have to go. Like others have found, age eventually reduces one’s ability to manage the weight safely when manoeuvring. Oh well.

Such a shame Crosspurpose. I'm 76 but at 6' 4" and 19 stone I'm still managing the CR OK although it does seem to be getting heavier. Any idea of what you are going to replace it with?
Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda NSS.

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 04:22:37 PM
Yes, I’ll be sad to see it go but at 70 I seem to be shrinking and I’ve always been a bit of a lightweight….Technique can only get one so far. The trouble is that once a heavy (relatively) bike starts to go I’ve little chance of stopping it. Really all it was was a static lay down but it has taught me one thing: don’t bother with colour-matched manufacturer’s panniers. They’re way too easy to mark and a lot more difficult to get bits for, especially for obsolete models.
I’m rather attracted to the new Moto Guzzi V7, now an 850cc. I‘ve had M-G before and I rather like them. In my heart of hearts I’m not really a multi-cylinder man - I like singles and twins, probably because that’s what I started on 50 odd years ago…and they’re easier to home-service. That said the Crossie is easily the best of the multis I have owned.

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
  • Loving it all
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 05:41:33 PM
I will be gutted when I eventually have to sell my CR as it is one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Like you the Moto Guzzi V7 appeals, especially the special edition.  The Guzzi is also dead easy to personally work on with its engine layout and push rod valves. No more expensive servicing and multi valve checks. My only problem with the Guzzi would be the low non adjustable seat height. Nevertheless the Crossie is a super reliable machine that is a pure pleasure to ride.
Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 05:43:37 PM by Corringdon
Some of my past bikes. Norton ES2 - Norton 650SS - Velocette Venom - Velocette Thruxton Venom - Kawasaki Z1100  ST - Kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 - Honda NSS.

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 04:38:48 PM
Well, I've done the deed and part-exed my Crossrunner. I'd say it is probably the best bike I've owned in 50+ years and 30+ bikes but the sad fact is that at my age it's just too heavy for me to manoeuvre without the risk of dropping it and such a wonderful bike is simply too nice for that to happen again. The pannier lid has now been repaired so I could have just carried on but I feel that it was only a matter of time before it happens again as my body strength weakens.

Thanks to all you guys on this forum for your assistance during the too brief period I owned my Crossie. Particular thanks to Skid whose knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, the Crossrunner is unsurpassed. It's a great forum that manages to restrict itself to helping other owners, without the stupidity to be found on other forums. I wish you all well as I chug into an uncertain future on my Moto Guzzi V7 850, about as far removed as one can get from the sublime V4 motor in the Crossrunner, but rather addictive nonetheless.....

Cheerio All

Offline Corringdon

• Crossrunner Master
  • Loving it all
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 06:30:22 PM
Take care, Crosspurpose, and enjoy your new Guzzi.

Online voodoo

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: RC80
  • City / Town: The Hague
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 07:11:02 PM
Probably a wise decision, but for a not too nice reason. But hey, you've got a very nice new bike now! I do really like Guzzi's. If I was a bit shorter it probably would have been my daily ride.

Now the Guzzi in my shed is for looking at mostly.....
Stop making sense

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 05:30:43 AM
Enjoy your new ride, keep her rubber side down. Stay in touch too  :031:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)