Author Topic: Comms  (Read 288 times)

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner 800x
  • City / Town: Peterhead
Comms
on: November 21, 2021, 10:42:21 AM
Planning a trip for next year with some buddies. So looking into the mine field of communication devices. Sena and Cardo seem to be the most popular ones used but a lot of conflicting reviews of good and bad for both. There will be 5 of us and from what I read, a Mesh system Seems better as units can be mixed. Has anyone on here have any experience good or bad for the aforementioned units or can you point me in the direction of something to suit. Most of the riding will be on tarmac albeit maybe a bit twisty.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Comms
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 02:57:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Goggins [+]
Planning a trip for next year with some buddies. So looking into the mine field of communication devices. Sena and Cardo seem to be the most popular ones used but a lot of conflicting reviews of good and bad for both. There will be 5 of us and from what I read, a Mesh system Seems better as units can be mixed. Has anyone on here have any experience good or bad for the aforementioned units or can you point me in the direction of something to suit. Most of the riding will be on tarmac albeit maybe a bit twisty.

I can highly recommend Sena. I've been using their products (SMH-10 and now the 10C Evo camera) for over 10 years. The SMH 10 was excellent, great range and battery lasted all day. The camera will run for about 1hr 30m on full HD but with it off the intercom will again last all day.

I ditched their helmet speakers from the start as it didn't seem logical to try to listen to a speaker through earplus so they have a helmet clamp which has an mp3 output so you can attach in-ear speakers. I use Westone UM10's which cut out lots of noise but are comfy and don't get painfully pushed into your ear by the helmet.

HTH
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 06:50:25 PM
Thanks for that Skids. Have you used them paired to other makes of comms? I see some folk report that they are not entirely waterproof but looking at your experience and commute, if you’ve not had any issues I think they would be fine for my use. Would you say the westone were worth the price added on to the cost of the sena? Have you tried or experienced the standard speakers?
Regards

Offline ramski

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 800X
  • City / Town: Notts
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 09:16:22 PM
Same as Skids really,

used Sena the last 9 years, its been great kit, in all weathers

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 12:47:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Goggins [+]
Thanks for that Skids. Have you used them paired to other makes of comms? I see some folk report that they are not entirely waterproof but looking at your experience and commute, if you’ve not had any issues I think they would be fine for my use. Would you say the westone were worth the price added on to the cost of the sena? Have you tried or experienced the standard speakers?
Regards

I haven't used them with other makes, though their marketing suggests that it shouldn't be an issue and as I think most other manufacturers use Sena BT products in their kit, they should be ok. I haven't had an issue with lack of waterproofing, as long as the rubber cap over the charging port is sealed correctly, sounds like user error to me.

As for the Westone's, they are expensive but I think, for my use, they are worth every penny. I listen to music when I ride so its either that or I listen to Mrs Skids when she's on the back of the 1200 and therefore clear audio is essential (as it should be for any use). I found initially that with the helmet speakers, ear plugs muffled the sound far too much. Now, I can hear everything with almost crystal clarity and it doesn't interrupt my attention by straining to hear words. The UM series (I used to use UM 1, now discontinued) drivers sit flat in your ear so there is no contact between them and the helmet so yr not in agony after 5 minutes use by them being pressed into the tender part of your ear. If you do choose to use them then ensure you get the correct helmet clamp to fit an mp3 plug.

HTH
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles

Offline Goggins

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 11:40:40 PM
Thanks to you both for the replies. That's great to hear your experiences with the Sena. Tend to only hear bad stuff on the net but I suppose not a lot of people are vocal enough to say how good a product is. Might have to go up the range a bit to connect to more than 4 but then again, always an excuse just to get some peace if I can't pair with them all  :152: